kurgan Mock 4.0--2 weeks out

kurgan

1.28--Lorenzo Carter, Edge/LB UGA  6'6' 250

OK, a bit of a reach, sure.  I get it.  But, he is a SPARQ freak.  Played in the monster UGA defense in college, rushed the passer AND dropped into coverage there, played some nickel linebacker and STAR, which is the cover backer at UGA.  True monster that played all over the place and has production.  Some concerns about numbers, but look at what he was asked to do.  Basically the job he would be doing in PITT.  Rush when needed, drop when needed, erase TE/slots (4.46 with a 10'10" broad??) when needed, he can do it all.  Rotates/spells Dupree, can even get crazy with some nickel packages with all 3 on the field.  Tomlin/Colbert at Pro Day and had dinner.

2.60--Jerome Baker, ILB Ohio State  6'2" 229

At the intersection of a ILB and SS, Baker is a Mack for the Steelers.  Pushing or passing Bostic immediately, can be the long term answer at some point.  Is not Shazier, but an efficient, well coached and great player that will be beaten in instances where the run comes at him and he has to tackle, but has everything else.  Pre-draft invite to boot.  Seems like a great marriage.

3.92--Nyheim Hines, RB N.C. State  5'8" 197

Cat quick and agile, this man can be the partner with Connor if we get to that with the Bell saga.  If not, he becomes a gimmick guy that is a change of pace, slot weapon, kick and punt returner that can be a homerun waiting to happen.

5.148--Justin Watson, WR Penn  6'3" 215

OK, I have seen him as high as 4 and as low as 7, so I will just slot him here.  Off the radar kid that blew up at his pro day and provides just what the Steelers like... a big body that can run and has excellent hands.  Level of comp is a problem, but his production in Ivy League is pretty impressive.  Worth a flyer to see if he can get WR #4 down.  Also a pre-draft visitor.

5.165--Jack Cichy, ILB Wisconsin  6'2" 234

A double dip here that is a bit of a nod to lack of ILB depth, potential of the player, and upgrading special teams.  If he were healthy, Cichy is a 1st round guy.  Missed almost two whole years with a torn pec then ACL, but did some work at his pro day.  Solid, solid player when he did play, he is smart, athletic and dynamic with aggressiveness and toughness.  Will push VWill in camp, and fall into a rotation and make us 5 strong with Bostic, VWill, Matakevich and Baker.  Also will form core groups on all kick teams.  Another pre-draft visitor and pro day.

7.220--Damon Webb, FS Ohio State  5'11" 209

Pure centerfielder.  Started as a corner, but was pushed to FS, and severed there for Ohio State the last two years.  Nothing too special, he has decent stats and seems to be in the right place most of the time.  Not the athletic freak or world beater like the upper round safties, but a safe, non-flashy player that will never be a starter but could be a role player/special teamer that can work in a pinch.

7.246--Arrion Springs, CB Oregon  5'10" 208

Love this kid's story... Pac 12 honorable mention, 3 year starter.  Non combine invitee since everyone was worried about his speed and tagged him as a 4.6 guy.  Agent tells him that if he wants drafted, 'run a 4.4."  Goes to his pro day and runs 4.41, 4.45, 4.48.  Not huge and not real experienced in complex coverages, but a good young kid to add to the mix in the CB room.  All he has to do is beat out Sensabaugh....

UDFA:

1. Van Smith, FS Clemson  5'10" 186--another high level centerfielder that played on a great college team.  Good at staying deep and closing on the ball
  2. John Atkins, NG UGA 6'3" 321--Comp for Shade Tree--Atkins is a classic run stuffing NG and has some basic pass rush moves.
  3. Max Browne, QB Pitt  6'5" 225--Was a 5* guy that BEAT OUT JOSH ROSEN at USC as they were both sophomores.  Graduated and transferred to Pitt.  Smart kid, horrible luck.  Worth to see as a camp arm
  4. Andrew Vollert, TE Weber State  6'5" 242--Will be more of an H back/Big WR but great production and hands.  Showed out at the Senior Bowl.
  5. McKay Murphy, DE/FB Weber State 6'3" 295--Great story on Steelers Depot on this guy... saw him when they saw Vollert and asked him to do OL and TE drills.  Pre draft visitor. Great production at Weber State but may be a coach's project for someone in camp.
  6. Austin Golson, C Auburn--OL camp body that is a SEC veteran.  

I like Baker in the 2nd. Not big on Edge in the 1st, but I understand the pick. However, I think you waited way too long for secondary help.

I've watched a lot of Oregon football. Springs tried hard, but he was just not very good. I hope he is a ST demon, 'cause that's the only way he's making the team.

1 hour ago, kurgan said:

1.28--Lorenzo Carter, Edge/LB UGA  6'6' 250

OK, a bit of a reach, sure.  I get it.  But, he is a SPARQ freak.  Played in the monster UGA defense in college, rushed the passer AND dropped into coverage there, played some nickel linebacker and STAR, which is the cover backer at UGA.  True monster that played all over the place and has production.  Some concerns about numbers, but look at what he was asked to do.  Basically the job he would be doing in PITT.  Rush when needed, drop when needed, erase TE/slots (4.46 with a 10'10" broad??) when needed, he can do it all.  Rotates/spells Dupree, can even get crazy with some nickel packages with all 3 on the field.  Tomlin/Colbert at Pro Day and had dinner.

Sleeper type of pick.  I think he will be a better pro than he was in college. NFL type of body and very athletic. I am not sure who is there to select between on your mock, but I could live with it under the right circumstances. Second round grade, but picking 28th you are only five slots from round two, so no points deducted for value in my book.

2.60--Jerome Baker, ILB Ohio State  6'2" 229

At the intersection of a ILB and SS, Baker is a Mack for the Steelers.  Pushing or passing Bostic immediately, can be the long term answer at some point.  Is not Shazier, but an efficient, well coached and great player that will be beaten in instances where the run comes at him and he has to tackle, but has everything else.  Pre-draft invite to boot.  Seems like a great marriage.

I think he is athletic and could see the field if he can drop well and cover. However, I don't think he would push Bostic out immediately if not at all this year. Bostic has a high football IQ and will get better as he gets more comfortable in our defense. I am curious if there are safeties available on your mock with a second round grade? Would you take Baker over White, Edmunds, Bates or Reid here?

3.92--Nyheim Hines, RB N.C. State  5'8" 197

Cat quick and agile, this man can be the partner with Connor if we get to that with the Bell saga.  If not, he becomes a gimmick guy that is a change of pace, slot weapon, kick and punt returner that can be a homerun waiting to happen.

I would be tempted to go ILB, OLB and FS/SS with our first three picks.  A lot will be dependent on our long term signing of Bell. I like Rashaad Penny a lot and think he will be a stud, but Hines fills a role on this team and gives us what we had been hoping to get from our scat back failures of the past.

5.148--Justin Watson, WR Penn  6'3" 215

OK, I have seen him as high as 4 and as low as 7, so I will just slot him here.  Off the radar kid that blew up at his pro day and provides just what the Steelers like... a big body that can run and has excellent hands.  Level of comp is a problem, but his production in Ivy League is pretty impressive.  Worth a flyer to see if he can get WR #4 down.  Also a pre-draft visitor.

It is hard not to root for the local talent. I am a bit of a homer here, but he can play. Intelligence, character and athletic. Steeler type of WR. I think he can go before this, but this would be a draft steal at five in my book.

1 hour ago, kurgan said:

5.165--Jack Cichy, ILB Wisconsin  6'2" 234

A double dip here that is a bit of a nod to lack of ILB depth, potential of the player, and upgrading special teams.  If he were healthy, Cichy is a 1st round guy.  Missed almost two whole years with a torn pec then ACL, but did some work at his pro day.  Solid, solid player when he did play, he is smart, athletic and dynamic with aggressiveness and toughness.  Will push VWill in camp, and fall into a rotation and make us 5 strong with Bostic, VWill, Matakevich and Baker.  Also will form core groups on all kick teams.  Another pre-draft visitor and pro day.

meh. Injury concerns and I would prefer a more athletic ILB.  We have Dirty Red and Williams, so give me some guys who can run, blitz and cover as a change of pace. I would prefer Shaquem Griffin.  I don't think he makes it out of round two.  He is a special teams demon and can blitz.  If he can be taught to drop in zone, look out.  This is a guy who timed faster than Shazier at the Combine.  It is not all about front line speed, but he has character, intelligence and upside.

7.220--Damon Webb, FS Ohio State  5'11" 209

Pure centerfielder.  Started as a corner, but was pushed to FS, and severed there for Ohio State the last two years.  Nothing too special, he has decent stats and seems to be in the right place most of the time.  Not the athletic freak or world beater like the upper round safties, but a safe, non-flashy player that will never be a starter but could be a role player/special teamer that can work in a pinch.

I think FS/SS has to be addressed before now. It is too much of a priority to get some more talent at the position.

7.246--Arrion Springs, CB Oregon  5'10" 208

Love this kid's story... Pac 12 honorable mention, 3 year starter.  Non combine invitee since everyone was worried about his speed and tagged him as a 4.6 guy.  Agent tells him that if he wants drafted, 'run a 4.4."  Goes to his pro day and runs 4.41, 4.45, 4.48.  Not huge and not real experienced in complex coverages, but a good young kid to add to the mix in the CB room.  All he has to do is beat out Sensabaugh....

Solid 7th round pick similar to Keion last year. I think he has potential to make the roster as a rookie.

UDFA:

1. Van Smith, FS Clemson  5'10" 186--another high level centerfielder that played on a great college team.  Good at staying deep and closing on the ball
  2. John Atkins, NG UGA 6'3" 321--Comp for Shade Tree--Atkins is a classic run stuffing NG and has some basic pass rush moves.
  3. Max Browne, QB Pitt  6'5" 225--Was a 5* guy that BEAT OUT JOSH ROSEN at USC as they were both sophomores.  Graduated and transferred to Pitt.  Smart kid, horrible luck.  Worth to see as a camp arm
  4. Andrew Vollert, TE Weber State  6'5" 242--Will be more of an H back/Big WR but great production and hands.  Showed out at the Senior Bowl.
  5. McKay Murphy, DE/FB Weber State 6'3" 295--Great story on Steelers Depot on this guy... saw him when they saw Vollert and asked him to do OL and TE drills.  Pre draft visitor. Great production at Weber State but may be a coach's project for someone in camp.
  6. Austin Golson, C Auburn--OL camp body that is a SEC veteran.  

Solid draft. I would have shuffled some positions/order, but the picks cover the basis. Solid B that could have been B+ or  A-  with FS/SS earlier.

Thanks all for the feedback.

@cjfollett... thanks for the info on Sprigs.  I had never seen a whole game and just the cuts that I saw when putting this together.  He does seem like a try hard guy, I just love the story.

@Steeler Hitman... thanks for the breakdown.  Some thoughts:

1. I love the Baker pick and I would pick him over White since I do not think he is a fit since he plays like Davis/Burnett to me, and Reid will be long gone.  I do love Bates, but I wanted to be a bit different with this one (I will be doing another one closer to the date).  On that note, I took Edmunds in my last draft as well, and wanted to go a bit different.  But, I would have to think about Bates vs. Baker.  I think Bates fits us more position wise, but we can get Edmunds in Rd 3.
  2. I do not think that the Steelers will go D in the first 3.  There was something I read on Depot that mentioned that Colbert has never gone all one side in a draft before in the first 3 picks.  And there were some pretty lean years in there.  I think that if we go D, D like this, an offensive player has to be next.  I didn't like any of the WR that fell, and I have enjoyed watching Hines and we all have a secret fascination with the scat back type and the return value fits.
  3. 5.148 is where I would change this and go secondary in retrospect.  I wanted to get Watson in, and know he would not make it to the next pick, so I pulled the trigger.  But, then I hated the FS prospects later, and settled for Cichy.  I just love his story too.

Looking back, I did wait too long on the backend.  Either a corner or safety needs to be addressed earlier than I did.  I just feel like Carter is the guy and will be loved in Pittsburgh, and Baker just made too much sense.  I knew I had to take O next, and QB, WR and OL were not options, so Hines it was.

I'll take another shot at it in a week or so.

14 hours ago, kurgan said:

Thanks all for the feedback.

@cjfollett... thanks for the info on Sprigs.  I had never seen a whole game and just the cuts that I saw when putting this together.  He does seem like a try hard guy, I just love the story.

@Steeler Hitman... thanks for the breakdown.  Some thoughts:

1. I love the Baker pick and I would pick him over White since I do not think he is a fit since he plays like Davis/Burnett to me, and Reid will be long gone.  I do love Bates, but I wanted to be a bit different with this one (I will be doing another one closer to the date).  On that note, I took Edmunds in my last draft as well, and wanted to go a bit different.  But, I would have to think about Bates vs. Baker.  I think Bates fits us more position wise, but we can get Edmunds in Rd 3. Fair enough.
  2. I do not think that the Steelers will go D in the first 3.  There was something I read on Depot that mentioned that Colbert has never gone all one side in a draft before in the first 3 picks.  And there were some pretty lean years in there.  I think that if we go D, D like this, an offensive player has to be next.  I didn't like any of the WR that fell, and I have enjoyed watching Hines and we all have a secret fascination with the scat back type and the return value fits. I think a lot will do with how the board falls and the depth of certain positions of the draft.  I think a lot goes with what our priority/needs are as well. ILB, FS/SS, Edge, DL, WR, CB, TE, and maybe RB.
  3. 5.148 is where I would change this and go secondary in retrospect.  I wanted to get Watson in, and know he would not make it to the next pick, so I pulled the trigger.  But, then I hated the FS prospects later, and settled for Cichy.  I just love his story too. Understood.

Looking back, I did wait too long on the backend.  Either a corner or safety needs to be addressed earlier than I did.  I just feel like Carter is the guy and will be loved in Pittsburgh, and Baker just made too much sense.  I knew I had to take O next, and QB, WR and OL were not options, so Hines it was.

No argument with your logic, just giving another viewpoint.

I'll take another shot at it in a week or so. I may try to do one or two more mocks myself. Please feel free to offer your feedback on my selections as well.

Archived