Baker Mayfield Sweepstakes Mock

cjfollett

In this scenario, Baker Mayfield is on the board at 1.28, and Denver wants him, and so do a couple other teams. He was not worth the #5 pick, but at #28 he looks pretty good. Sure, Denver has Case Keenum, Chad Kelly, and Paxton Lynch, but is any one of them a future franchise guy? Steelers have plenty of options on the board at 1.28, but no one in mind specifically.

1.28, Trade with Denver for 2.8, 3.35, and 5.12 - Denver selects Baker Mayfield, QB, OK

2.8 (DEN), Reid, Justin, FS, Stanford - Steelers picked up FA Morgan Burnett, a 9 year veteran. Burnett will play most snaps in '18 and Reid will learn the ropes and play in sub-packages.

2.28, Jackson, Donte, CB, LSU - Speedster and ball hawk. Steelers' secondary is average at best. These first two picks, plus moves in FA, are sending the message that things will get better.

3.28, Jewell, Josey, ILB, Iowa - It is likely Shazier is never going to play again. Similar to Burnett, the Steelers brought in Bostic as immediate help. They draft this kid from Iowa to learn and be the future replacement.

3.35 (DEN), Miller, Kolton, OT, UCLA - BPA by far. Not sure why he is still on the board here, but I can't see passing on him this late if so. Offers position flexibility at RT and LT, and might be able to play some G.

5.11, Stewart, MJ, CB, North Carolina - I want more secondary help, and I think he will become a decent 3rd CB.

5.12 (DEN), Wadley, Akrum, RB, Iowa - The Steelers gave Touissant a 1 year deal. This is his competition.

5.28, Ford, Poona, DT, Texas - Not a great 3-4 fit, but good size and strength to compete with the young guys on the roster for a sub-package rotation.

7.2, Wilson, Cedrick, WR, Boise State - Good size, decent hands, family, character.

7.28, Flanagan, Matt, TE, Pittsburgh - Likely PS guy, but worth a look with injury concerns with McDonald.

On 2018-04-12 at 1:29 PM, cjfollett said:

In this scenario, Baker Mayfield is on the board at 1.28, and Denver wants him, and so do a couple other teams. He was not worth the #5 pick, but at #28 he looks pretty good. Sure, Denver has Case Keenum, Chad Kelly, and Paxton Lynch, but is any one of them a future franchise guy? Steelers have plenty of options on the board at 1.28, but no one in mind specifically.

1.28, Trade with Denver for 2.8, 3.35, and 5.12 - Denver selects Baker Mayfield, QB, OK

2.8 (DEN), Reid, Justin, FS, Stanford - Steelers picked up FA Morgan Burnett, a 9 year veteran. Burnett will play most snaps in '18 and Reid will learn the ropes and play in sub-packages.

2.28, Jackson, Donte, CB, LSU - Speedster and ball hawk. Steelers' secondary is average at best. These first two picks, plus moves in FA, are sending the message that things will get better.

3.28, Jewell, Josey, ILB, Iowa - It is likely Shazier is never going to play again. Similar to Burnett, the Steelers brought in Bostic as immediate help. They draft this kid from Iowa to learn and be the future replacement.

3.35 (DEN), Miller, Kolton, OT, UCLA - BPA by far. Not sure why he is still on the board here, but I can't see passing on him this late if so. Offers position flexibility at RT and LT, and might be able to play some G.

5.11, Stewart, MJ, CB, North Carolina - I want more secondary help, and I think he will become a decent 3rd CB.

5.12 (DEN), Wadley, Akrum, RB, Iowa - The Steelers gave Touissant a 1 year deal. This is his competition.

5.28, Ford, Poona, DT, Texas - Not a great 3-4 fit, but good size and strength to compete with the young guys on the roster for a sub-package rotation.

7.2, Wilson, Cedrick, WR, Boise State - Good size, decent hands, family, character.

7.28, Flanagan, Matt, TE, Pittsburgh - Likely PS guy, but worth a look with injury concerns with McDonald.

While I am no draft major, could you explain why there isn't a single edge player on your board? I don't understand as that is an area where we need a better starter and then depth . What will happen if we get an injury to Watt? Maybe change to 4-3 then? Thats inconvenient  but could do :S

53 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

While I am no draft major, could you explain why there isn't a single edge player on your board? I don't understand as that is an area where we need a better starter and then depth . What will happen if we get an injury to Watt? Maybe change to 4-3 then? Thats inconvenient  but could do :S

As I have posted several times in other threads, the Steelers have plenty of players to rush the QB. What they don't have are guys who can cover the quick passes. They don't have guys who can press. Another edge guy is not going to help. They just cannot get there fast enough.

10 hours ago, cjfollett said:

As I have posted several times in other threads, the Steelers have plenty of players to rush the QB. What they don't have are guys who can cover the quick passes. They don't have guys who can press. Another edge guy is not going to help. They just cannot get there fast enough.

I see. I hope you are right because the FO hasn't hit on OLB outside of Watt.  This could be the way to go, lets hope

Archived