Gameday Thread - Redskins vs. Ravens 8/10 7:30PM EST

MKnight82

4 minutes ago, Woz said:

This is on NBC or Fox, yes?

The redskins official website doesn't say anything.  Preseason Game 3 vs. the Bengals is listed as being on Fox.  

Here in Richmond I usually watch the preseason games on Comcast sports.  But I think they simulcast the games on CBS too.  

per this site:

http://www.redskins.com/news/article-1/Redskins-Release-2017-Preseason-Schedule/e1594dba-0f7c-42e5-8133-028b66643e24

It will  be on comcast sports net and NBC.

I think they usually show the games on the local NBC station & the Comcast Sports Net station.

From the little information I've gathered about this game, Kirk Cousins may not even play and Colt will play about a half and Sudfeld the entire 2nd half.

We should get a good look at our young players in this game and our reserves who are competing for the last 15 roster spots or so. We also should get a good look at our running back competition and our OLB and DL competitions seeing as they seem to be the competitions which are the closest. 

I heard this morning on ESPN980 that we should expect to see a lot of Ryan Anderson in this game and our young defensive linemen.

I want to see what Ryan Grant and Brian Quick look like (expected: doggie doo). I want to see what Maurice Harris and Robert Davis can do (hopefully something so the first two folks can look for jobs elsewhere). Given Kelley is currently the #1 RB, I suspect they'll give him a carry or two and then try to give Perine a fair number of carries in the first half to see what he can do with guys who have a chance of making the roster. Thompson will be mixed in.

The defense is arguably anyone's game at this point.

On 8/7/2017 at 4:23 PM, Woz said:

I want to see what Ryan Grant and Brian Quick look like (expected: doggie doo). I want to see what Maurice Harris and Robert Davis can do (hopefully something so the first two folks can look for jobs elsewhere). Given Kelley is currently the #1 RB, I suspect they'll give him a carry or two and then try to give Perine a fair number of carries in the first half to see what he can do with guys who have a chance of making the roster. Thompson will be mixed in.

The defense is arguably anyone's game at this point.

I don't think Ryan Grant is in jeopardy of losing a roster spot as our 4th wr. Of the guys who are battling for the 4th, 5th and maybe even 6th spot on our roster he's the most experienced in our system, knows all 3 wr positions, he's also a good blocker and a good special teams gunner.

People can continue to hope that he'll be cut, but I just don't see it happening mainly because of his experience and ability to play all 3 WR positions. 

To me it's between Harris & Davis for that 5th wr spot and maybe 6th spot but I'd rather see us keep 4 RBs (Mack Brown) or 4 TEs (Niles Paul) than 6 WRs.

As for the running back position, I agree we won't see much of Kelley this game. Instead, I think we'll see a good mix of Perine in the first half and then Thompson on 3rd downs. In the second half I think Matt Jones & Mack Brown will split the carries.

I heard that Matt Jones has had a good camp, he's running harder than he has in the past and with a lower pad level.

I also heard that Mack Brown has looked great this camp. I forget which beat reporter it was but someone had said he was clearly the fastest of our running backs which makes one wonder why he's never gotten more of a shot to show what he can do?

I personally have always liked what Brown has done and thought that last preseason he flashed just as much as Rob Kelley did and had wished that he would have made the team in September and gotten more carries.

I'm going to be disappointed when we lose Mack Brown this September but it seems inevitable that he won't make the 53 man roster again and I don't believe he's practice squad eligible anymore. 

On defense I don't suspect we'll see much of the guy's who we know will be starters this season (Kerrigan, Norman, Cravens, Swearinger and probably Breeland also) as for the rest of the defenders as you said Woz, "it's anyone's game at this point."

We'll probably see McGee, Taylor and Hood start the game on the DL with Galette at one OLB spot and Murphy at the other one. Then, Foster and Compton at ILB. Then Breeland, Cravens and Swearinger for a few series. Fuller will probably start and play most of the first half. 

I think we'll see a good rotation with our back ups after the first series or 2 that the starters play. Hopefully guys like Zack Brown and Johnathan Allen will outshine the rest and prove they should be starting because I really believe if our defense has any hopes of truly being better than 20th or so that we need these two guys to play at a near pro bowl level along with Kerrigan doing what he usually does, Galette being near the pass rusher we thought we were getting in 2015, Norman playing at an all pro level and Swearinger playing as well as he did last year or better.

Montae Nicholson among 6 Redskins who will sit out

https://riggosrag.com/2017/08/08/montae-nicholson-to-sit/

"Thursday is going to be the first preseason game of the 2017 season for the Washington Redskins. The team is taking on the Baltimore Ravens in a game that will showcase some of the younger talent on the team’s roster. Of course, the team is also expected to rest a fair number of their starters as they look to get action for the members on the 90-man roster.

Originally, it was assumed that most of the players that would sit out would be veterans. However, Redskins head coach Jay Gruden said on Tuesday that at least six players would not be playing on Thursday night."

I heard Gruden say in an interview this morning that the veterans will play some because they have a lot of new players and they still have work to do because it's not like they won the super bowl last year.

On 8/8/2017 at 6:13 PM, turtle28 said:

I don't think Ryan Grant is in jeopardy of losing a roster spot as our 4th wr. Of the guys who are battling for the 4th, 5th and maybe even 6th spot on our roster he's the most experienced in our system, knows all 3 wr positions, he's also a good blocker and a good special teams gunner.

People can continue to hope that he'll be cut, but I just don't see it happening mainly because of his experience and ability to play all 3 WR positions. 

The problem is he cannot catch the ball. It's one thing to know the position, or to be able to block and tackle. It's another when your job is to catch the ball. I know the Redskins have in him. I don't know what we have in all the young guys and UDFAs. I'd rather give them the chance to shine.

To me it's between Harris & Davis for that 5th wr spot and maybe 6th spot but I'd rather see us keep 4 RBs (Mack Brown) or 4 TEs (Niles Paul) than 6 WRs.

I think a 6th wide receiver has more value to the team than a 4th running back, especially one who is going to be suspended for the first quarter of the season.

Also, right now Paul is higher up the food chain than the other TEs. So it would be more a matter of keeping Carrier or Sprinkle than it would be Paul. 

As for the running back position, I agree we won't see much of Kelley this game. Instead, I think we'll see a good mix of Perine in the first half and then Thompson on 3rd downs. In the second half I think Matt Jones & Mack Brown will split the carries.

I heard that Matt Jones has had a good camp, he's running harder than he has in the past and with a lower pad level.

Only reason you would give Matt Jones a ton of carries in this game is in hopes of trying to flip him to another team who is/becomes running back poor. Realistically, the team should more want to see Hilliard than Jones.

I also heard that Mack Brown has looked great this camp. I forget which beat reporter it was but someone had said he was clearly the fastest of our running backs which makes one wonder why he's never gotten more of a shot to show what he can do?

I personally have always liked what Brown has done and thought that last preseason he flashed just as much as Rob Kelley did and had wished that he would have made the team in September and gotten more carries.

He couldn't block. It's the one skill that is rarely taught in college anymore, so if a rookie can come in and block for the quarterback, he has a MUCH better chance of making the roster and seeing the field.

I'm going to be disappointed when we lose Mack Brown this September but it seems inevitable that he won't make the 53 man roster again and I don't believe he's practice squad eligible anymore. 

Unless they did not renew the new eligibility rules (I don't recall one way or the other on this front), he could still be eligible. Under the 2016 rules, he would have year of eligibility remaining.

Archived