Gameday Thread - Redskins vs. Ravens 8/10 7:30PM EST

MKnight82

1 minute ago, mar29020 said:

we should be way better then what we showed vs their starters

Not going to argue that our starters didn't look all that good, but it was just two drives.

First drive:

• dropped pass by Pryor
  • 2 yard run by Kelley
  • sack of Cousins within 2 seconds due to bull rush up the middle
    • Spencer Long trips over his feet in his backpedal and falls over
    • Chris Thompson cannot pass block
    • Three Ravens converge on the QB ... not good

Second drive:

• 4 yard run by Kelley
  • 5 yard run by Kelley
  • a complete failure to handle a run blitz
    • they brought out three tight ends and lined them up all on the right side
    • they put Kelley in the backfield
      • Combined, these two things say "we're running"
    • Then they don't bother to block the linebacker so he gets a free shot at Kelley as soon as he gets the ball in the backfield.

So, two failed plays. That's what we're basing the evaluation of our offense on. I'm not saying they played well, but I do think sample size (and opponent) might have more to do with this.

18 hours ago, Woz said:

For early picks, we could have bypassed Allen/Anderson for DeShone Kizer (I still think he'll be a good QB); or Moreau for Davis Webb or C.J. Beathard.

For later picks, we could have bypassed Perine/Nicholson for Joshua Dobbs; Sprinkle for Nathan Peterman; Rouiller/Davis for Brad Kaaya; or Harvey-Clemons/Holsey for Chad Kelly.

Only one that would have made any sense would have been Peterman. Eh, maybe Kelly.

Peterman yes. Could of signed Knight, Evans, Lunt, or Towles. Just to compete. 

22 hours ago, Woz said:

For early picks, we could have bypassed Allen/Anderson for DeShone Kizer (I still think he'll be a good QB); or Moreau for Davis Webb or C.J. Beathard.

For later picks, we could have bypassed Perine/Nicholson for Joshua Dobbs; Sprinkle for Nathan Peterman; Rouiller/Davis for Brad Kaaya; or Harvey-Clemons/Holsey for Chad Kelly.

Only one that would have made any sense would have been Peterman. Eh, maybe Kelly.

It was one preseason game. I still think our draft was one of the better ones on any team in the NFL and in the long run that will prove to be true. 100 times out of 100 I would have taken our top defensive players over Kizer.

in case you were wondering Dobbs hasn't looked great & we have no clue about those other Qbs either. I have no issue with the player we took and not taking a qb last draft.

9 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Peterman yes. Could of signed Knight, Evans, Lunt, or Towles. Just to compete. 

I'm not sure a UDFA QB would do a whole lot here. The coaching staff/front office has invested in Sudfeld as a "developmental" option, and Cousins (yay!) and McCoy (sweet mercy, no!) were obviously going to take up two roster spots.

Given that, I wonder if a UDFA QB would want to come here. Ignore the craptacular front office shenanigans this off-season. A UDFA just wants a chance. Would they (or more specifically, their agent) choose a team where the roster options already seemed full? Unlike draftees, they do have some say in where they end up.

4 minutes ago, Woz said:

I'm not sure a UDFA QB would do a whole lot here. The coaching staff/front office has invested in Sudfeld as a "developmental" option, and Cousins (yay!) and McCoy (sweet mercy, no!) were obviously going to take up two roster spots.

Given that, I wonder if a UDFA QB would want to come here. Ignore the craptacular front office shenanigans this off-season. A UDFA just wants a chance. Would they (or more specifically, their agent) choose a team where the roster options already seemed full? Unlike draftees, they do have some say in where they end up.

Exactly.  I also have a feeling, with Terrelle Pryor on the roster, that Sudfeld may find himself out of a job when the 53 man roster is decided.  Provided of course, he's not eligible for the practice squad.  I can never remember those specific requirements. 

5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

100 times out of 100 I would have taken our top defensive players over Kizer.
I have no issue with the player we took and not taking a qb last draft.

For the record, I was just responding to this:

On 8/11/2017 at 7:53 AM, MikeT14 said:

I still can't believe we didn't even try for a QB in this draft. Or bring in a 4th QB.

and showing that we would have to done differently. I never said we should have taken Kizer over Anderson (I said we should have taken Cunningham instead). I think Kizer will turn out to be a solid NFL quarterback. So, I also disagree with this:

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Kizer sucks.

MKnight82, I think he'll work out well for the Browns.

1 minute ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Exactly.  I also have a feeling, with Terrelle Pryor on the roster, that Sudfeld may find himself out of a job when the 53 man roster is decided.  Provided of course, he's not eligible for the practice squad.  I can never remember those specific requirements. 

The one saving grace for Sudfeld is McCoy looked just as bad. He doesn't have as far to climb to make the roster as say a Tevin Homer does.

If he doesn't make it, it will probably be more likely a guy like Nico Marley/Josh Harvey-Clemons/Robert Davis bumps him than Terrelle Pryor.

As for the practice squad, I think he has eligibility since he was inactive all last year, so he hasn't appeared in the minimum number of games.

I probably would have taken Cunningham over Anderson as well @Woz because of position need but I still think Anderson is a better football player than Cunningham, he's just not the athlete that Cunningham is and Anderson plays OLB, not ILB.

Either way, in Anderson, I think we got a hell of a football player - McCloughan said that Anderson was his favorite selection of all the Redskins picks in the 2017 draft - and I think he'll be a starter soon. Maybe not this year, but maybe next year.

Archived