Pace draft picks reviewed

dll2000

Pace has been getting criticized on radio for his past drafts, so i thought I would review.  See if you agree.

Draft is a "good draft" IMO if you get 1 impact player and 2 or more solid starters at their position.  Solid starter meaning an above average player.  Impact player being a pro bowler or one of best players in league at his position.

2015:

1. Kevin White - Incomplete - if you count injured players as busts, then he is a bust. So either Incomplete or F.  

Hindsight do over - Beasley, Gurley or Marcus Peters

2. Eddie Goldman - B+.  8 of 10.  Solid DL.  Nice pick compared to others taken around him.  Oft injured, but good when he has been healthy.

Hindsight do over - Tyler Lockett or David Johnson.  Goldman would be right there though. 

3. Hroniss Grasu - F.  Bust.  Should be cut this year.  Should have been cut last year.  

Hindsight do over - David Johnson

4. Jeremy Langford - C-.  Made some plays.  Not on team anymore.

Hindsight do over - Kwon Alexander LB.

5. Adrian Amos - B.  Current starter for Bears.  Good value for 5th.

Hindsight do over.  Adrian Amos.

6. Tayo Fabuluje - Late round picks seldom make teams.

Hindsight do over.  Cameron Meredith.  

UDFA - Cam Meredith.  A.  Great value.

Conclusion:  3 starting caliber players in Goldman, Amos and Meredith.  No real impact players though Goldman is real close.  I would call Goldman a solid player.  Wouldn't call Amos a 'solid player' for his position.  Meredith could have been and was in stretches, but never really got there with Bears.  Not a good draft.  

2016:

Round    Pick    Player    Position    College    Notes
1    9    Leonard Floyd     OLB    Georgia    From Buccaneers

B-.  As shown flashes of being very good.  

Hindsight do over - Yannick Ngakoue, Keanu Neal, Michael Thomas,or Kevin Byard. 

2    56    Cody Whitehair     G    Kansas State    From Seahawks

A-.  Been a pro bowl caliber G/C.

Hindsight do-over: Cody Whitehair.

3    72    Jonathan Bullard     DE    Florida    

C+.  Should get a lot of snaps this year.fd

Hindsight do-over:  Maybe Austin Hooper.

4    113    Nick Kwiatkoski     ILB    West Virginia    From Rams

C-.  Decent back up LB.

4    124    Deon Bush     S    Miami (FL)    From Seahawks

D- Has not impressed.

4    127    Deiondre' Hall     CB    Northern Iowa    From Patriots

D.  Just a guy.

5    150    Jordan Howard *     RB    Indiana    

A.  Great value.  Hard nosed RB.  Great runner, limited hands.  

6    185    DeAndre Houston-Carson     S    William & Mary    

C.  Not bad for a 6th.

7    230    Daniel Braverman     WR    Western Michigan 

Not on team anymore.   

Conclusion:  2 borderline impact players in Whitehair and Howard, and a solid starter in Floyd who may yet turn into an impact player.  Or you could say three 'solid starters'.  A good draft overall.  

2017:

Round    Selection    Player    Position    College
1    2    Mitchell Trubisky    QB    North Carolina
2    45    Adam Shaheen    TE    Ashlan
4    112    Eddie Jackson    S    Alabama
119    Tarik Cohen    RB    North Carolina A&T
5    147    Jordan Morgan    G    Kutztown

Conclusion:   Too soon to tell with MT and AS.   Eddie Jackson and Tarik Cohen have been real good values already, call them solid players.  It's looking like it will be a good draft.  IF MT and AS bust, then it will be a bad draft.  

However, I would add that 2017 draft is looking like the best draft overall for talent in many, many years.  Many rookies made high impacts for their team last year and several more flashed great potential.   A lot of talent was on that board.   Many of best players in the league were rookies.

A year where you wanted to have lots of picks and make them right.  NO had one of best drafts of all time if last year can sustain.    

So Pace is 2 for 3 IMO with his first draft being his worst.  I would give him an overall B- for drafting to date.  MT is obviously what he will be graded on down the line.  I admire him making that move.  

Needs more momentum changing impact players.  

If you were to pick team MVP for last 3 years combined you would have to pick Jordan Howard.  Carried team through many games.

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Pace has been getting criticized on radio for his past drafts, so i thought I would review.  See if you agree.

By and large, I do agree. I'd rate Floyd a little higher, so I'd probably bump Pace up a notch, as well. White's an F, and actually wasn't even a very good choice at the time. Deiondre Hall was a guy that lots of other teams were looking at, so that's an understandable mistake...

2 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

The way I grade drafts isn't each individual pick, it's about the amount of starters you get in a draft. In 2016, he got 2 starters. In 2017, he got FIVE starters. This past year, he got 4. I think he's doing a damn good job of drafting.

You have to start and be good. Better than your competition.  Lots of people can start for a bad team.  

In my mind ideally, you want at least one blue chip player, a good player and a decent starter out of a draft.  NO grabbed 4 blue chippers last year in one draft.  That was nuts.  

Biggest criticism of Pace on radio is he hasn't drafted a pro bowl player yet unless you count Howard going as injury replacement.  But Howard deserved it in 2016 so I think that is a bit unfair.  

Howard as been by far most successful player drafted by Pace to date for Bears followed by Whitehair.  Whitehair will probably make a pro bowl.  He is an underrated player.  

Jackson and Cohen were probably Bears two most impactful players last year.

This years draft and MT development will be key to 2019 which should be the competitive goal.  

Biggest criticism of Pace on radio is he hasn't drafted a pro bowl player yet unless you count Howard going as injury replacement.  But Howard deserved it in 2016 so I think that is a bit unfair.  

Howard as been by far most successful player drafted by Pace to date for Bears followed by Whitehair.  Whitehair will probably make a pro bowl.  He is an underrated player.  

No Bears player is going to a Pro Bowl until the team wins games and receives national attention. Hicks, Goldman, Whitehair, Floyd, and Howard are all potential PB candidates this season if the Bears win a few games. 

You have to start and be good. Better than your competition.  Lots of people can start for a bad team.  

In my mind ideally, you want at least one blue chip player, a good player and a decent starter out of a draft.  NO grabbed 4 blue chippers last year in one draft.  That was nuts.  

Jackson and Cohen were probably Bears two most impactful players last year.

This years draft and MT development will be key to 2019 which should be the competitive goal.  

I think a lot of those starters would be starters on a few teams: Howard, Jackson, Amos, Floyd, Whitehair, Cohen, Goldman and Trubisky

1 hour ago, yomyyo said:

No Bears player is going to a Pro Bowl until the team wins games and receives national attention. Hicks, Goldman, Whitehair, Floyd, and Howard are all potential PB candidates this season if the Bears win a few games. 

That is also important while noting that the NFC rosters are more stacked than the AFC overall. That makes it that much harder for our guys to be pro bowlers.

13 hours ago, yomyyo said:

It takes wins and name recognition.  Howard was the NFLs #2 rusher yet still only an alternate.  Hicks was the best true 3-4 de in the NFL statistically, but wasnt even a 2nd alternate.  Using the (hasnt drafted a probowl player) argument is beyond stupid.  

You have to remember who votes for the pro bowl...honestly it's a bit of a joke some of the guys that do and don't get in year in year out...Pace's drafting had been really good...some will slay in for the White pick but I never will...at West Virginia he had no injury issues and the upside and need were there for him to be the pick...his free agency has been an issue which is why we have seen a swing in the approach this offseason.

I agree with the overall ratings, but the elephant in the room is named Trubisky. Because he not only used a high draft pick, but also threw in some other valuable picks to move up to get Trubisky, how Trubisky develops (and secondarily how QB's NOT drafted number two like Mahommes and Watson develop) will be like that class you took where the final was 80 percent of your grade. Corollary to this is how well Pace's draft picks protect Trubisky as if Trubisky looks like the next Payton Manning, but turns into Andrew Luck because he's playing behind a Swiss cheese Oline.

Pace can still reach a B- or so if Trubisky is a low mid-level QB, but that would take a New Orleans 2017 type draft or two to offset missing on Trubisky.

1 hour ago, 51to54 said:

I agree with the overall ratings, but the elephant in the room is named Trubisky. Because he not only used a high draft pick, but also threw in some other valuable picks to move up to get Trubisky, how Trubisky develops (and secondarily how QB's NOT drafted number two like Mahommes and Watson develop) will be like that class you took where the final was 80 percent of your grade. Corollary to this is how well Pace's draft picks protect Trubisky as if Trubisky looks like the next Payton Manning, but turns into Andrew Luck because he's playing behind a Swiss cheese Oline.

Pace can still reach a B- or so if Trubisky is a low mid-level QB, but that would take a New Orleans 2017 type draft or two to offset missing on Trubisky.

If Trubisky is good and Shaheen is decent, I believe the Bears 2017 draft will equal New Orleans' 2017 draft. The Saints got 4 good players out of it, and the Bears would also have the same with MT, Shaheen, Cohen and Jackson.

25 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

If Trubisky is good and Shaheen is decent, I believe the Bears 2017 draft will equal New Orleans' 2017 draft. The Saints got 4 good players out of it, and the Bears would also have the same with MT, Shaheen, Cohen and Jackson.

Any draft where you draft a good starting QB and add a good RB and S is a great draft. Any draft where you add a good starting QB is already in the 'great' category and then the other pieces added just help determine how great.

Archived