Pace draft picks reviewed

dll2000

This is a tough evaluation for me IMO because of Kevin White. Namely, we have no idea whether Pace missed on White because he hasn’t been able to stay healthy. Had that been an issue for White before he was drafted then I’d be comfortable dinging Pace for that but it wasn’t. Had White stayed healthy and been an average starter after 3 years (which of course we can never know) I think Pace’s grade on drafting would be very high by most. 

White aside, there are very few complete misses over 3 years. 

17 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

This is a tough evaluation for me IMO because of Kevin White. Namely, we have no idea whether Pace missed on White because he hasn’t been able to stay healthy. Had that been an issue for White before he was drafted then I’d be comfortable dinging Pace for that but it wasn’t. Had White stayed healthy and been an average starter after 3 years (which of course we can never know) I think Pace’s grade on drafting would be very high by most. 

It's been pretty steady, and a lot of his misses were guys that were highly regarded. As to the rest of it, that's hard to say, because if White had even sort of produced, the Bears would have won more games and they'd have been picking at different slots in the draft. I still do ding Pace for the White pick a little, as White really wasn't the sort of incredible talent that should have precluded him from taking a player in an area of bigger need. Still...Pace has had a solid start. If he does well with this upcoming draft, it probably establishes him as a known commodity. 

White was extremely raw and Pace was banking on his upside. I think Ryan really values athletic traits when combined with outstanding character and work ethic. I'm of the opinion he feels you can't teach those two things and that a great work ethic can help a raw player develop. It's why I think he might have a hard on for Marcus Davenport.

5 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

For those of you against the Nelson pick, who say that with Hiestand onboard we should just get a late round guy to develop into a G, why not have Hiestand work the same magic on Grasu?

I don't think Grasu has the core/functional strength to hold up against bigger/stronger NTs.

5 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

I seem to remember a lot of early optimism on Grasu, and then he got hurt.  

For those of you against the Nelson pick, who say that with Hiestand onboard we should just get a late round guy to develop into a G, why not have Hiestand work the same magic on Grasu?

I don’t remember much optimism of Grasu at all, most thought he was an undersized C that needed a year to developer and then didn’t get that year. When he did get the chance he was very underwhelming and replaceable. 

3 hours ago, G08 said:

White was extremely raw and Pace was banking on his upside. I think Ryan really values athletic traits when combined with outstanding character and work ethic. I'm of the opinion he feels you can't teach those two things and that a great work ethic can help a raw player develop. It's why I think he might have a hard on for Marcus Davenport.

Or Landry. He doesn’t have Davenport’s elite size but he has all of the elite athleticism/quickness/burst. 

God 10 more days. ?

2 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

I seem to remember a lot of early optimism on Grasu, and then he got hurt.  

Not so much for the Grasu part but definitely think the former is in play. 

2 hours ago, G08 said:

I don't think Grasu has the core/functional strength to hold up against bigger/stronger NTs.

I liked him in college, but he has nowhere the physical strength to play in the NFL. He routinely gets shoved back into the QB's face. He played a finesse game for a finesse offense that valued mobility and even after a couple of year's of NFL conditioning he doesn't nearly have the strength to play in the NFL. Perhaps he was a 180 pound guy who had already maxed out his strength to be just strong enough to play college ball for a team with an offense that was a perfect fit for his abilities.

21 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Repeating myself, but I HATED picking White and I even give Pace mostly a pass on him because bad injury luck is different from a bust pick. I blame Pace for picking a stupid position for where the team was at for that draft and that White was raw and with only one real season of college ball. Even if Pace had hit with White being an all pro I'd still probably only give him a 'B' for the pick, but no way an 'F' for bust.

11 minutes ago, 51to54 said:

Repeating myself, but I HATED picking White and I even give Pace mostly a pass on him because bad injury luck is different from a bust pick. I blame Pace for picking a stupid position for where the team was at for that draft and that White was raw and with only one real season of college ball. Even if Pace had hit with White being an all pro I'd still probably only give him a 'B' for the pick, but no way an 'F' for bust.

This is kind of where I am at as well. Understood the pick though definitely didn’t love it, but hard to put the lack of production from the pick heavily on Pace given the circumstances. 

3 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Or Landry. He doesn’t have Davenport’s elite size but he has all of the elite athleticism/quickness/burst. 

God 10 more days. ?

I just don't think I see Landry going at 8.

23 minutes ago, G08 said:

I just don't think I see Landry going at 8.

I played around and made a mock where we traded back to BUF for their 1sts. Took Davenport with our first and Landry fell to the 2nd. Sucked putting Jackson in GB though.

Archived