House re-signs a 1 year deal

Arthur Penske

52 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

I'm quite happy with this signing. At the very least, House is serviceable depth for a team lacking bodies at corner. At best, he's a good fit for Pettine's defense and reminds us why a lot of people (myself included) were excited when we brought him back last offseason. Remember he's only 28 (turning 29 this summer). Of course this does not preclude us from drafting a corner, and there's also the possibility that one of our youngsters like Pipkins relegates House to the bench or street.

Very well said. He's a stop-gap. Plain and simple.

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Now we can draft a CB or two and be good, and if the board doesn't give us one early we can take some late flyers and look at DRC or Breeland later.

Exactly. I hate going into a draft with a need so great it eliminates much of the flexibility. 

53 minutes ago, SSG said:

We'll have to agree to disagree.  I don't think House is just going to suddenly become more athletic.  He couldn't run with WRs last year so I have trouble believing that he'll suddenly be capable of this this season.  There is a reason not a team in the league will touch him.  For the second year in a row he's likely picking the Packers over his couch.

Pick your poison though.  If Pettine uses press man, Williams will not be fine.  He's bordered on terrible when he isn't able to afford the guy across from him 10 or 15 yards.  I don't understand that because Williams is now  a Packer that fans will just up and ignore the vast majority of his play in the last 4 years.  His success last year was 100% the result of the scheme. 

I'm not a huge Williams guy so you aren't going to get some crazy argument out of me. 

House was one of the best athletes in the 2011 draft class at CB. 

There's a reason why he's 1 of the 5 CBs drafted in the Top Four Rounds of the 2011 NFL Draft that's still in the NFL (Out of 19 CBs). 

3 of those players were drafted CB1, CB2 and CB3 off the board. Patrick Peterson, Jimmy Smith and Prince Amukamara. 

The only other players from the 2011 Draft Class (Drafted in RDs 1-4) that still play CB in the NFL are Davon House and Shareece Wright. 

33 minutes ago, Cadmus said:

I'm not a huge Williams guy so you aren't going to get some crazy argument out of me. 

House was one of the best athletes in the 2011 draft class at CB. 

There's a reason why he's 1 of the 5 CBs drafted in the Top Four Rounds of the 2011 NFL Draft that's still in the NFL (Out of 19 CBs). 

3 of those players were drafted CB1, CB2 and CB3 off the board. Patrick Peterson, Jimmy Smith and Prince Amukamara. 

The only other players from the 2011 Draft Class (Drafted in RDs 1-4) that still play CB in the NFL are Davon House and Shareece Wright. 

Good to know that House is the best of the remaining crappy CB's from a draft 7 years ago.  Since the only options he seemed to have in the last 2 years is with GB....a team that was very desperate for CB's, I am not sure that is really saying much.

14 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Good to know that House is the best of the remaining crappy CB's from a draft 7 years ago.  Since the only options he seemed to have in the last 2 years is with GB....a team that was very desperate for CB's, I am not sure that is really saying much.

This year, perhaps? That'll happen when you play through a back injury at CB.

Last year there was more interest in House than just GB, we both know that. 

Call me crazy, but I still think that -- if healthy (admittedly big "if) -- House can be a quality starter for us.

He had his best year under Gus Bradley and as I understand it, Pettine's scheme is very similar.

'Glad to have him back, injuries and general inconsistency notwithstanding.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Glad we resigned House. He's alive and plays corner so he fits my two biggest wants this off-season.

Not enough attention is paid to the dead player pool.  Do you have any idea how fast Jesse Owens was? He surely could play CB, he is probably still faster than Gunter.

Archived