Vontaze Burfict suspended 4 games for PED usage

Woz

2 hours ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

But Eric Reid's decision to kneel is where the Bengals draw the line... smh.

So you don't see a team viewing a player taking Performance ENHANCING Drugs as different from a player making a conscious decision that could lead to backlash and impact the bottom line of the business?

From a business perspective, one is your player attempting to gain a competitive advantage on the field and got caught, the other draws media attention (where some fans are clearly divided over the issue) that could impact sales.

Just now, RuskieTitan said:

So you don't see a team viewing a player taking Performance ENHANCING Drugs as different from a player making a conscious decision that could lead to backlash and impact the bottom line of the business?

Are you saying that Vontaze Burfict unconsciously took PEDs? Was he sleep doping?

4 minutes ago, Woz said:
6 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Are you saying that Vontaze Burfict unconsciously took PEDs? Was he sleep doping?

No, I'm saying kneeling during the anthem is a conscious decision and not something that happens accidentally. Ergo, any backlash over the actions is brought upon directly by a player.

If a player gets busted with PEDs, the team is of course not happy, but they understand the player is trying to compete and get every advantage over his opponent. Quite different from a player making a conscious decision to do an action that will draw potential backlash from a portion of the fanbase. Those who spend money on items related to the team that goes to that team's owner's pockets could feel upset and decide to no longer do so. Thus, the team's owner is now feeling the financial impact of that player's actions.

No, I'm saying kneeling during the anthem is a conscious decision and not something that happens accidentally. Ergo, any backlash over the actions is brought upon directly by a player.

And taking PEDs is entirely accidental?

If a player gets busted with PEDs, the team is of course not happy, but they understand the player is trying to compete and get every advantage over his opponent. Quite different from a player making a conscious decision to do an action that will draw potential backlash from a portion of the fanbase. Those who spend money on items related to the team that goes to that team's owner's pockets could feel upset and decide to no longer do so. Thus, the team's owner is now feeling the financial impact of that player's actions.

Losing a player for a quarter of the season and possibly jeopardizing potential wins thus keeping the franchise out of the playoffs and getting the revenue from marketing, concessions, and merchandise sales has absolutely no affect on the owner's bottom line.  Got it.

If I may summarize your position: Taking steroids (potentially illegally in terms of actual criminal culpability) is understandable/acceptable, but taking a knee is destructive.

Does anyone have a tally on how many fines/suspensions this guy has had? I’ll also throw in the obvious attempts at injuring players (Panthers).

At least he’s not committing crimes...I guess. 

Archived