Sign in to follow this  
whodatworm23

What of BPA doesn't fit a need at 27?

For those who know me by now understand the NFL draft season is my time of year and recently ive been going over my big board of available prospects for 2018 as well as non stop 1st round mock scenieros to determine which cloud of players could be in play for the Saints at the 27th pick.

What I have found is that while the Saints will absolutely find themselves in position to draft a very good player with that selection, They (and fans) might not end up happy with the selection as far as position goes if in fact the Saints ignore need and draft the true BPA on the board and heres why.

Below is a pool of 5 prospects that have consistantly ended up available at 27 during my mock scenieros that I have top 32 grades on...

Lamar Jackson, QB: Louisville

What ive found with Jackson is that fans will either love or hate this selection. Some fans will view it as a wasted pick that wont help Brees win another title while others may simply view Jackson as not an NFL caliber quarterback. Still if on the board at 27 reguardless of position, it would be hard to argue that Jacskon wouldnt be the BPA.

Darrius Guice, RB: Louisiana State

I currently have Guice rated as the 21st best player in the draft and can clearly envision multipule scenieros where hes available at 27. While the Saints appear stacked at RB now, Mark Ingram will be entering the final year of his contract in 2018 and will be 29 years old by seasons end. Guice would be the perfect compliment to Alvin Kamara's skill set moving foward beyond 2018 if the Saints view Guice as a player of value at 27.

Frank Ragnow, OC: Arkansas

Ragnow is a player thats gonna go alot higher than many people know. Hes a monster inside and maybe the most dominate center prospect ive scouted since Alex Mack. As with Mark Ingram, the Saints have another high priced aging veteran in Max Unger whom they may feel will need to be replaced by 2019. As good as Ragnow is, he is versitle and could step in as a swing interior lineman in 2018 before taking over for Unger full time in 2019.

Will Hernandez, OG: UTEP

Hernandez is the 19th overall player on my board and plays a position the Saints value greatly in Sean Payton's scheme. Due to other team needs I can see Hernandez slipping to the bottom half of round 1 potentially forcing the Saints to make a tough decision. After investing a 1st round pick in Andrus Peat and big FA money in Larry Warford, can the Saints really take a 1st round guard with no position flexibility here... Even if that player has multiple pro-bowl potential?

Josh Jackson, CB: Iowa

The consensus on Jackson is all over the 1st round right now. While some view him as a top 15 draft pick, others view him as a late 1st round guy. Still the Saints appear set at the position with Lattimore and Crawley as the outside starters with P-Rob back in the slot. Still, Jackson has the size and ball skills the Saints love and may view him as a real challanger to unseat Crawley in the starting lineup as a rookie.

Now im sure that when the Saints go on the clock their will be players available that play positions of need that could appear as better fits for New Orleans but thats when the question will need to be asked... Will we TRULY draft the BPA, or will we just draft the BPA at a position of immediate need???

What do you think...

WHODAT

Posted (edited)

I think were going BPA at a position of immediate need, which is pass rusher or te. The Saints definitely want a TE, but they may not want to drop a 1st rounder on one, so in this scenario I think going O-line is the right move, Will Hernandez or Frank Ragnow. If Armstead gets hurt again. I hope he doesn't but honestly I think it's likely to happen, we can slide Peat to RT, Ramczyk to LT, and move Hernandez inside, while Ragnow would take over for Unger in 2019 or even in 2018 maybe. I think the Lamar Jackson stuff is a smokescreen but if Payton really believes in him then I'd be cool with that too.

Not a fan of Guice or Jackson here, Guice would be the 3rd RB on this team and and I don't see any signs that were moving on from Ingram. If Josh Jackson failed to unseat Crawley then our 1st round pick would have been wasted on a 4th-5th string CB...I like the player but we really don't need to spend another 1st rounder on any CB in this draft, I'd be highly confused and upset if we went that route.

Edit: I think were going BPA at a position of need, if Jackson or Guice happens to be BPA I honestly believe the saints will still pass on them. O-Line isn't necessarily a need but we have some injury concerns + Unger is getting older so I think we pass on Guice / Jackson for these reasons.

Edited by Lyoane

At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot, I have been relatively silent up until now.

Sean Payton had a really good smell of success last year with the fewest touchdown passes thrown by Drew Brees since he and Payton connected. Most of that was due to a great performance by the defense, specifically the secondary which enabled the front seven to play much better.

They have made some adjustments at linebacker, and added some more secondary, but I think Peyton will go full tilt on another secondary member, and especially a front seven member.

One caveat, we also know that Sean Payton himself as a quarterback. We know how much he drools over quarterbacks. I would not be shocked at all to see us take a quarterback in the first or second round, and lots of Defense otherwise.

Just my two cents worth. Time will tell.

The only one I wouldn't want at #27 would be Guice... We've done a good job in the past finding running backs in the mid-late rounds and although Ingram was a 1st rounder, we do still have him on the roster for one more year at minimum.  I say we let Kamara develop some more with Ingram and decide if we need a running back in the draft/FA the following year.

9 hours ago, Raves said:

The only one I wouldn't want at #27 would be Guice... We've done a good job in the past finding running backs in the mid-late rounds and although Ingram was a 1st rounder, we do still have him on the roster for one more year at minimum.  I say we let Kamara develop some more with Ingram and decide if we need a running back in the draft/FA the following year.

The apple of my eye this year is Florida's Taven Bryan but we'd likley have to move up a few spots at least to land him. Im also very high on Harold Landry and Josh Jackson but the same might be said to land one of them. The 27th pick isnt a great spot for the Saints and their needs IMO unless their comfortable taking a reserve offensive lineman or a prospect at a position of need whos more like a 2nd round talent. I really feel the Saints will not pick at 27 this year. Either they trade up a few spots or finally trade back. If they stay at 27 I do believe that offensive line is in play due to BPA.

18 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

Lamar Jackson, QB: Louisville

What ive found with Jackson is that fans will either love or hate this selection. Some fans will view it as a wasted pick that wont help Brees win another title while others may simply view Jackson as not an NFL caliber quarterback. Still if on the board at 27 reguardless of position, it would be hard to argue that Jacskon wouldnt be the BPA.

Whats funny is anyone who knows me here knows I have been beating the "draft a QB" drum for years now and this is the first season since I have been screaming it where I would be 100% OK if we didn't draft one. If we do, it sets us up with something to build upon for the future, but doesn't address any holes we need filled right now to assist with getting over the hump a second time. But if we do draft a QB this draft, the only two names I 100% have no qualms with are Baker Mayfield and Lamar Jackson. I have some really good feeling about Jackson, I think he could come into the NFL and become another Michael Vick. Even Michael Vick thinks highly of Jackson's game. A QB with that kind of running ability, if he works on his pocket game a bit for the NFL, with the offensive weapons we have, the OLine we have, Payton would have a stroke.

2 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

The apple of my eye this year is Florida's Taven Bryan but we'd likley have to move up a few spots at least to land him. Im also very high on Harold Landry and Josh Jackson but the same might be said to land one of them. The 27th pick isnt a great spot for the Saints and their needs IMO unless their comfortable taking a reserve offensive lineman or a prospect at a position of need whos more like a 2nd round talent. I really feel the Saints will not pick at 27 this year. Either they trade up a few spots or finally trade back. If they stay at 27 I do believe that offensive line is in play due to BPA.

No way Bryan gets past Atlanta.

1 hour ago, navysaintsfan said:

No way Bryan gets past Atlanta.

Exactly... need to move up a few spots.

Payton gotta be gettin tired of missing out on his defensive targets to Dan Quinn! Beasley a few years ago, McKinnley last year.

Thoughts on that TE from Penn State at 27?

I also think there's a good chance one of the better LBs slides all the way to 27 as well. 

1 hour ago, SWATcha said:

Thoughts on that TE from Penn State at 27?

I also think there's a good chance one of the better LBs slides all the way to 27 as well. 

I think this is a solid group of TE's... I don't view any of them as a 1st round prospect. This will be deep draft for TE from 2nd-4th rounds. Best TE on my board is Hayden Hurst and I have him at 36th overall and he's already 25 years old.