Potential trades in the top 10

onejayhawk

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Honestly think that Buffalo is the only reasonable partner in all honesty. I'd put Arizona and Miami at almost no chance. 

Fair enough. Would anyone else trade with the Colts or Bucs if a QB escaped the top 5? By that point, trades are manageable for teams without two 1st round picks.

J

13 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

I can assure you, John Dorsey doesn't take that job without getting full autonomy on football decisions.  I guarantee you, he decided to keep Hue, and he'll decide the draft pick.  What are the experts saying? They are saying if Dorsey makes this pick on his own, it will be Allen.  If its a consensus decision it will be Darnold.

Haslam has NEVER kept a FO or GM on the job more than 2 seasons and Dorsey has to feel that is his window as well and you really think he wants to put his career on the line for a HC, that went 1-31 over 2 season and managed an 0-16 season last year.  Get real, Haslam forced him to accept Hue as his HC if he wanted the GM's job and he accepted those conditions, likely hoping he can fire Jackson sometime early into the 2018 season.

Darnold will be Cleveland's pick, Allen is more of a long term project and will need long term technique fixing before he is ready to produce. Dorsey does not have a long time to see results, he must win by season 2 or Dorsey is gone if Haslam's hiring record over his last 3 FO's is any indication!!! Haslam is a rotten owner by any standards and his fan base is close to total rebellion.He is facing losses that could run into hundreds of millions of dollars if ticket sales do not pick up and is depending on the first overall pick to sell tickets and on having a winning season by Dorsey's second year.

I know the owner may love Allen, he even showed up at his Pro Day and he may well force Dorsey to draft him, he has done that to a GM once before in the Manziel pick, when he went against his then GM's wishes of not wanting to pick him and forced the pick then fired the GM when Manziel flopped!!!

You must think that Cleveland is just like any other organization in the NFL, well it isn't, it is run by a rotten, totally incompetent owner, who hasn't a clue how to hire competent people and interfers with his GM's and HC's anytime he feels like it. You do not go 1-31 over 2 seasons without total mismanagement of a team and Haslam stands alone with that title. 

As for the experts, I do not know which experts you are talking about. Mayock has Allen at #2 and Jeremiah has him at #14 and they both absolutely love Darnold.

8 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Fair enough. Would anyone else trade with the Colts or Bucs if a QB escaped the top 5? By that point, trades are manageable for teams without two 1st round picks.

J

I’d be surprised if Tampa traded out of #7. With one of Barkley/Nelson more likely than not being available. 

42 minutes ago, pigsooie5 said:

I’d be surprised if Tampa traded out of #7. With one of Barkley/Nelson more likely than not being available. 

If there is a QB on the board it is likely that Barkley and Nelson are gone. Those are the numbers--three QB and three other positions. Those three will likely be Nelson, Barkley and Chubb in some order. In particular, it is rumored that Indy covets Nelson.

J

The Giants at #2 and Indy at #6 really are the key to the top 10 in my opinion. If they go Barkley, I see Cleveland going Chubb at #4, Denver staying at #5 and taking Nelson. At that point, Indy trading with Buffalo and moving back to #12 makes sense. What would be interesting for me is to see what the package would be to move up to #6, and how it impacts the Colts' draft strategy on Day 1 and Day 2. If Buffalo gives up their other 1st round pick (#22), I think Indy may go corner at #12, and ideally would take Denzel Ward, but I don't think Ward is there at 12, so I can see Josh Jackson. Then at #22, they go with a pass rusher, likely either Davenport or Landry, or they could go linebacker with Vander Esch or Evans. If they get a 2nd-round pick from the Bills instead of Buffalo's other 1st rounder, I can see them going pass rusher at #12 with Davenport, and then looking early in Round 2 for a corner like Isaiah Oliver or Jaire Alexander.

I feel like Buffalo trading up with Cleveland or Denver is the most likely option. 

Buffalo has 2 1st rounders they could conceivably package, and Cleveland would be fools to not take that and have 3 first rounders. If that's even something Buffalo would do.

Point is, if Buffalo has someone in the top 5 or so they really really want, they have the trade capital to out-bid virtually any competition, absent Miami or Arizona trading their pick and some superstar player, but I don't think either have anyone expendable enough to do that. 

On 4/13/2018 at 10:22 AM, BleedTheClock said:

If the Browns have a chance to leave the draft with Darnold AND Saquon and pass, I'm going to be a little irritated. That's the best QB and the best overall playmaker in the draft. I'm gonna be salt if Saquon's there and they do something dumb like trade out of the top 10 or draft Chubb.

A little irritated?  If I was a Browns' fan and they blew that chance I might swear them off forever.  If Barkley is there at 1.04 and they pass I will literally laugh out loud at them.

Anyway

I see the Colts trading down for more picks, since they didn't do squat in free agency and need more picks.  They need help EVERYWHERE lol. Broncos might too, if they aren't looking to draft a QB, but I think they will.  They aren't sold on Keenum not buying that for 2 seconds.

After Ballard said there were 8 elite non-qb prospects you knew he was looking to trade down to 12 with BUF.

Buffalo doesn't have to give up as much to get to 6 and gets one of the 4 qbs. I think they are fine with any of the 4.

Indy gets to move down to 12 and still get an elite prospect while picking up another first.

BUF keeps their 2019 first rounder as well as both of their second round picks to help build around the QB they take at 6.

I think DEN is fine with either Nelson or Barkley at 5 and would rather not move down and miss out on either player.

On 4/21/2018 at 11:17 PM, bomont said:

A little irritated?  If I was a Browns' fan and they blew that chance I might swear them off forever.  If Barkley is there at 1.04 and they pass I will literally laugh out loud at them.

Anyway

I see the Colts trading down for more picks, since they didn't do squat in free agency and need more picks.  They need help EVERYWHERE lol. Broncos might too, if they aren't looking to draft a QB, but I think they will.  They aren't sold on Keenum not buying that for 2 seconds.

Saquon Barkley is very good. I do NOT think he is good enough to pass up both #12 and #22.

By the chart, the Browns would owe #80 or so as change. Would you trade , say Denzel Ward and Tavon Bryan for Shaquon Barkley and Da'Shawn Hand?

J

I expect an awful lot of trades this draft. IMO, it is a weak draft and in weak drafts, teams sometimes will do anything to move up for talent they covet.

If the giants feel they are in a total rebuild, they either take a QB or trade the pick for a huge bundle from Buffalo!

Next in line would be a trade between Denver and Cleveland for the #4 overall pick. Denver gets a QB and Cleveland gets whoever they wanted at #4 anyway.

Next, Arizona moves up and drafts Jackson, how high i anybody's guess.

There will be at least 3 more trades in round 1 because teems may be looking to pick up 2019 picks over 2018 picks. 

19 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Saquon Barkley is very good. I do NOT think he is good enough to pass up both #12 and #22.

Think again.  :)  He is not "very good."  He's outstanding.  You don't pass about as sure of a thing as it gets for stardom like that for 2 guys who aren't game-changers like Barkley is. If either NY or CLE passes on him (or both) they will most likely kick themselves for many years to come.

I don't think there's any way Denver takes Barkley or Nelson in the top 5. It goes completely against Elway's positional value system. He exclusively drafts pass rushers, CBs, QBs, or LTs in the first as he has said those are the positions he believes are worth a high selection.

the only time he strayed from this philosophy was Sylvester Williams at the end of the 1st in 2013. Sly was not a good player, certainly not one good enough to change Elway's drafting strategy.

It would be a significant surprise if Denver does not select a quarterback. 

Archived