First Depth Chart Released

AnAngryAmerican

As per league rules, the Broncos released their first official depth chart today. A few interesting things: 

• Just like they've done in the past (I believe it was Orton/Tebow) they refused to list one of the QBs as the #1 and one as the #2 instead listing Trevor Siemian -OR- Paxton Lynch as the #1 with Sloter and Kelly both listed third string. 
  • The starting OL, left to right, is Bolles-Garcia-Paradis-Leary-Watson. As almost all of us have said, I don't like the idea of playing Leary at RG and Garcia at LG, I'd much prefer our rookie LT have the veteran Pro Bowler next to him rather than the guy who is simply least-worst OG on the team. 
  • Domata Peko is the starting NT with Billy Winn backing him up. Starting DE opposite Derek Wolfe is Jared Crick, with Adam Gotsis listed on the second team. I'm not sure how long that will last as it appears Gotsis has been closely that gap quickly. Regardless, we are likely to see quite the rotation at DE, especially LDE. 
  • DeMarcus Walker is listed as an OLB, backiing up Von at WOLB, and not as a DE. 
  • Interestingly, Brendan Langley is listed as the 2nd team RCB behind Chris Harris Jr. while Lorenzo Doss, who has also been reported to having a strong camp, is third string. 
  • Cody Latimer, listed as the second team WR behind Emmanuel Sanders, is listed as the starting KR. 

The TE depth chart is interesting to me, but Lammey made a good point on Twitter. Virgil, by virtue of offensive familiarity and blocking ability is naturally going to garner the #1 TE designation, but he seemed quite convinced that Derby will be the #1 TE on the field in any sort of passing situation. I would hope that's the case frankly. I thought Derby played really well last year for being dropped into a mess of an offense midseason.

The Langley thing does strike me as weird, but same time Doss seems something like a training camp hero over the last couple years, while doing little in the regular season.  Can't really fault him for that though, not much for opportunity behind Harris and Talib.  

If Langley really has out performed Doss, I think the decision on whether to retain Roby is all but made with Doss and Langley still locked up for a few years.

As far as which side Leary plays, I really don't care.  Part of me thinks right tackle (Watson or Stephenson) will need the security blanket more than the left side.

4 hours ago, elliot878 said:

The Langley thing does strike me as weird, but same time Doss seems something like a training camp hero over the last couple years, while doing little in the regular season.  Can't really fault him for that though, not much for opportunity behind Harris and Talib.  

If Langley really has out performed Doss, I think the decision on whether to retain Roby is all but made with Doss and Langley still locked up for a few years.

As far as which side Leary plays, I really don't care.  Part of me thinks right tackle (Watson or Stephenson) will need the security blanket more than the left side.

Roby isn't going anywhere. They picked up the 5th year option and I bet will get a long-term deal done with him this year just as they did with Harris, Wolfe, Marshall and Stewart. Elway values CBs and knows we have a good one in Roby. He will be a Bronco long-term. 

Yeah, I've often thought of the first depth chart as a feeling out process to the rest of the league, opening chess moves. Langley is a very interesting prospect as he has size and speed, very similar to Talib.

I agree with AAA, I think Gotsis is going to climb into the starting D-line before camp is over.

9 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

Yeah, I've often thought of the first depth chart as a feeling out process to the rest of the league, opening chess moves. Langley is a very interesting prospect as he has size and speed, very similar to Talib.

I agree with AAA, I think Gotsis is going to climb into the starting D-line before camp is over.

If we can get average play at that DE rotation opposite Wolfe I'll be happy. Run defense is still a major question mark to me. 

1 hour ago, champ11 said:

If we can get average play at that DE rotation opposite Wolfe I'll be happy. Run defense is still a major question mark to me. 

It's a slight concern for me too, but less than it was before camp opened. From all accounts it looks like the front seven has made some strides in that department. 

22 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Roby isn't going anywhere. They picked up the 5th year option and I bet will get a long-term deal done with him this year just as they did with Harris, Wolfe, Marshall and Stewart. Elway values CBs and knows we have a good one in Roby. He will be a Bronco long-term. 

I don't see it.  There's a surplus at the position that did not exist with any the aforementioned players, and all those guys played at an extremely high level, a level to which Roby has not yet achieved in his career.  Most importantly all those guys left money on the table to stay in Denver.

11 hours ago, elliot878 said:

I don't see it.  There's a surplus at the position that did not exist with any the aforementioned players, and all those guys played at an extremely high level, a level to which Roby has not yet achieved in his career.  Most importantly all those guys left money on the table to stay in Denver.

I could see it. It probably depends on how Talib plays this year. The problem is, Talib is getting long in the tooth. His play has stayed strong, but at some point you'd have to expect regression. I would rather Denver lets him go a year too early, than hang on to him a year too much AND ditch Roby, and then end up with a weaker secondary. Elway is smart- the Talib contract was structured in a way that he could be let go with minimal cap hit at a time where Roby was going to need a contract. It also depends on how Roby plays this year. If he falls off some, maybe it's easier to let him walk.

There's a depth surplus, sure, but I'm not sure Langley, Doss, etc...are ready to step in as starters. 

52 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

I could see it. It probably depends on how Talib plays this year. The problem is, Talib is getting long in the tooth. His play has stayed strong, but at some point you'd have to expect regression. I would rather Denver lets him go a year too early, than hang on to him a year too much AND ditch Roby, and then end up with a weaker secondary. Elway is smart- the Talib contract was structured in a way that he could be let go with minimal cap hit at a time where Roby was going to need a contract. It also depends on how Roby plays this year. If he falls off some, maybe it's easier to let him walk.

There's a depth surplus, sure, but I'm not sure Langley, Doss, etc...are ready to step in as starters. 

I do think it's unlikely Roby gets an extension offer this year unless he plays really well.   Like how Stewart proved 2015 was no fluke last season and he got extended in season.   I think 2018 Roby will play his option year with us and Elway will approach him on a team friendly offer to remain part of an elite D corps if he shows he's worth extending    Elway may give up potential savings but outside of CJ he's never really paid more than market value for a player long term.   I think he'd want to see a lot better play consistently before making that offer. 

4 hours ago, Broncofan said:

I do think it's unlikely Roby gets an extension offer this year unless he plays really well.   Like how Stewart proved 2015 was no fluke last season and he got extended in season.   I think 2018 Roby will play his option year with us and Elway will approach him on a team friendly offer to remain part of an elite D corps if he shows he's worth extending    Elway may give up potential savings but outside of CJ he's never really paid more than market value for a player long term.   I think he'd want to see a lot better play consistently before making that offer. 

Elway also values corner very very highly. He was willing to pay a premium with Talib, use a first round pick on a #3 corner, etc. I don't think he lets Roby go without an great signing incoming. 

Archived