Screw BPA this is a mock for need!!!

Brit Pack

Looking at the roster there are 27 players who I would be totally shocked if they were to be cut and are set as starters or key backups.

(2) QB – Rodgers, Kizer
(4) OL – Bakh, Bulaga, Lane, Linsley
(2) WR – Adams, Cobb
(4) RB – Jones, Williams, Montgomery, Rip
(1) TE – Graham

(3) DL – Daniels, Clark, Mo
(2) OLB – Clay, Perry
(1) ILB – Martinez
(3) CB – King, Williams, House
(2) S – Ha Ha, Jones
(3) Specials – Mason, Vogel, (Whoever the LS)

There is another 14 who I would say are good to have around, have shown something or are high picks and/or are backups, first off the bench types and again would be surprised if cut

(4) OL – Murphy, Spriggs, McCray, Lucas
(1) WR – Allison
(1) TE – Kendricks
(2) DL – Lowry, Adams
(1) OLB – Biegel
(1) ILB – Ryan
(2) CB – Rollins, Pipkins
(2) S – Brice, Whitehead

Finally, there are 17 who are really fighting for a spot and could stick or could be quite easily cut

(2) QB – Hundley, Callahan
(2) OL – Pankey, Amichia
(3) WR – Davis, Clark, Yancey
(1) RB – Mays
(3) OLB – Fackrell, Gilbert, Odom
(4) CB – Hawkins, Brown, Walters, Goodson
(1) S – Evans

So where is the need in order of importance?

• ILB is piss poor. One injury to Blake and we are royally screwed
  • TE is similar, outside of Graham not much to look at here
  • CB and WR are both similar in the fact we have numbers but outside the starters could really use depth to challenge the incumbents – free agency might still be a route here for CB so that might push the need for CB down a little
  • OLB has two good starters when healthy but is lacking anything beyond that
  • S – Could use some more depth especially depends on where JJ plays but there are still options in free agency as well here
  • DL and OL could each use another body to challenge but not an immediate need
  • RB – we are cool
  • QB – we are cool

Based off that here is my mock (apologies I don’t watch college football so this is all based of comprehending opinions about players and who typically fit the Packers, also I’m not going to attempt to go beyond the 4th round).

***Trade! With the first tier of QBs all gone within the first 5 picks, the next tier of QBs hots up just before our pick. The Bills take Jackson. Bilcheck is desperate to trade up to get Rudolph before the Cards nab him. Arizona hears these rumours and knows of Green Bays history of trading with BB so are willing to do a deal to move up one place with Green Bay with Arizona giving up its 3rd round pick (79) which suits Green Bay better than moving back to pick 21 of the Pats.

So on the clock with the 15th pick in the NFL Draft the 13 time league winning champions, the Green Bay Packers select, Leighton Vander Esch. Not normally a fan of Boise players but his athleticism is off the charts. He also fills two needs for us ILB and OLB, him and Clay can rotate from the middle and the edge and create confusion for offences. Also he plays coverage well and that middle of the field hole that teams always find can be covered by him.

With the 45th pick, the team that is going to take back the NFC North crown in 2018, the Green Bay Packers select, wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown. With Cobb being a free agent after this season we need more weapons and this dude is big, catches the ball well, huge catch radius, played with Kizer in college and put up good numbers as well, and I love the name!!!

So with the 76th pick in the NFL Draft, the ‘we are going to win a Super Bowl soon’, the Green Bay Packers select, Mark Andrews, Tight End out of Oklahoma. Caught 62 passed for 958 yards last season, was considered one of the top TEs in this draft. Good size and red zone target as well as having a knack for the big play.

With the additional 3rd round pick from the Cardinals trade, number 79, the dynasty that is about to be born which will result in multiple Super Bowls, the Green Bay Packers select, Duke Ejiofor DE/OLB from Wake Forest. The potential here is just too much to pass up. There were other pass rushers who I liked and were available like Jeff Holland, Uchenna Nwosu and Ogbonnia Okoronkwo. And really could have gone for one of those guys. The negative on Duke is he has missed 9 games in three years, will turn 23 but what swung it for me over the others was firstly his name and he was rated the 2nd best DE by Walter Football and I did watch some of his games and I liked him.

I know we are now into the fourth round and the fans are screaming ‘we need some f’ing cornerback help’ and in true TT style we address a need but late. Here we take a player that has dropped due to an unfortunate injury while visiting a team and we take the local lad Nick Nelson, CB from Wisconsin. I wish I could say I know more about him but I can’t, I just think the value here is good due to his injury and he should be back for camp.

With our compensatory pick in the fourth round, simply the best team that ever was, the Green Bay Packers select, DeShon Elliott, Safety from Texas. Being in Dallas for the draft it would be rude not to select a player from the home state, so the Packers grab Elliot, a ball hawk, who in his one year of play nabbed 6 interceptions.

Finally, my knowledge know is scrapping the barrel but as we do have the first pick in the 5th round the, I’ve run out of words to describe them, the Green Bay Packers select Quenton Meeks, CB out of Stanford. Apparently, a good height, weight, speed guy that fits the Packers profile. Also he would be a 5th round CB drafted from Stanford, remind me who else fits that profile???

And there we have it the draft is the books. The remaining picks we get some WR, OL and DL guys and maybe another ILB dude from schools I’ve never heard of. We have filled out our needs and have an awesome roster. Who needs free agents huh?!?!

Seems a waste of draft capitol.   We really don't get any solid bets to solve the main roster issues of CB and edge rushing.    I like some of the later picks, but the early picks are trouble.

15th pick in the draft to get an ILB? -  We drafted Martinez in the 4th round.  While Vander Esch is a good prospect, I don't see the projections to edge rushing based on what I have seen from his play.

45th Pick - St. Brown -  A receiver with upside, but also with red flags regarding his play.  There are a number of better bets at WR in this area of the draft.

Our two biggest needs by far are addressed with Nick Nelson - about the 10th - 15th rated CB, and Ejiofor - Also about the 8-10th rated edge rusher.    Both these players would be nice to have as the second player from the draft to try and address positions of need. 

While the need for CB and Edge is there I find the bigger need is for ILB. We got bodies to play those positions and there is still some free agent options for CBs, while with ILB we only have two players listed to play that position. No depth and Ryan is not a starter in my books.

The notion of this mock is not necessarily picking who I want per se or using draft capital at its best but rather taking the best player for the biggest needs first. Hence LVE for ILB

Thats why I have this order of need to drive the draft by:

• CB and WR are both similar in the fact we have numbers but outside the starters could really use depth to challenge the incumbents – free agency might still be a route here for CB so that might push the need for CB down a little
  • S – Could use some more depth especially depends on where JJ plays but there are still options in free agency as well here
  • RB – we are cool
  • QB – we are cool

In reality, we would probably take an ILB later in the draft based to maximise value.

8 minutes ago, Cadmus said:

How did Whitehead jump Evans? 

That is more of a personal preference. I liked him more at the end of last season over Evans but both Whitehead and Pipkins on my list could drop down a category very easily.

1 hour ago, Brit Pack said:

While the need for CB and Edge is there I find the bigger need is for ILB. We got bodies to play those positions and there is still some free agent options for CBs, while with ILB we only have two players listed to play that position. No depth and Ryan is not a starter in my books.

The notion of this mock is not necessarily picking who I want per se or using draft capital at its best but rather taking the best player for the biggest needs first. Hence LVE for ILB

Thats why I have this order of need to drive the draft by:

• RB – we are cool
  • QB – we are cool

In reality, we would probably take an ILB later in the draft based to maximise value.

I think that many of us that follow the draft fail to understand is how the existing players (especially on defense) will fit into a new system.  We didn't think that Hyde or Hayward were as big of losses to the Packers until they became Pro Bowl players in a different system.  I am not trying to say that a lot of our lesser players are Pro Bowl players, but they may totally play differently in this system.  I am sure that the coaching staff has a lot better feel as to who will work and who will not in this system.  Maybe they look at Brice as an upgrade to Burnett and Ryan as a capable starter at ILB.  Just because they didn't start or were big contributors under Capers, they may fit well under Pettine.  That is why you still draft BPA according to need.  I do like Leighton Vander Esch as our first round pick though.

9 minutes ago, 66fan said:

I think that many of us that follow the draft fail to understand is how the existing players (especially on defense) will fit into a new system.  We didn't think that Hyde or Hayward were as big of losses to the Packers until they became Pro Bowl players in a different system.  I am not trying to say that a lot of our lesser players are Pro Bowl players, but they may totally play differently in this system.  I am sure that the coaching staff has a lot better feel as to who will work and who will not in this system.  Maybe they look at Brice as an upgrade to Burnett and Ryan as a capable starter at ILB.  Just because they didn't start or were big contributors under Capers, they may fit well under Pettine.  That is why you still draft BPA according to need.  I do like Leighton Vander Esch as our first round pick though.

That's why this mock is done with a little tongue and cheek as we don't draft explicitly for need but BPA. One thing though is that regardless of BPA or need we are desperate for ILB help. We only got two bodies on the roster at present. Also I'm just sick of us always giving the middle of the field up.

I don't see ILB as a need. If you think our guys are just "bodies", have you looked at other rosters around the league at the ILB spot. It's not like there are tons of studs everywhere. I don't mind Ryan in a starting role if need be. We can't get too caught up in what position someone is listed at on the roster sheet. CMIII has experience at ILB and could fill if you are in a pinch. I've read of Biegel possible being capable of playing the position as well. Plus there's JJones who can moonlight for a few snaps. Not to mention that they could take another draft pick at the spot on day 2 or 3. And the great DL helps out the ILB's.

Edge & CB are much more critical positions and harder to find good players, especially late in the draft. Even if we assume CMIII and Perry somehow stay healthy and produce, there's enough snaps for a 3rd guy and the draft isn't just about needs in the immediate year. What happens when CMIII is a free agent a year from now? Same with CB. Even if TWill and/or House somehow stay healthy and have a decent year, they're getting old and House will be a FA again. Heck, I think CB is a current need even without injuries, so that would put it above ILB even if we forget about scarcity and position value. 

You're really not checking 2 boxes because the guy hasn't played EDGE in college. If he had i might be with ya, his body type doesnt mean anything besides his has the body and athletic ability to play there, it's unknown right now if he can or not I'm the outside. 

Now they can use him at EDGE if they wanted as well, but as far as I'm concerned you probably are drafting him to play primarily ILB. I want a real pass rusher instead of hoping LVE can play both well.

Now I do like we got Ejifor too in this mock. Nice little haul of players.

20 minutes ago, TransientTexan said:

I don't see ILB as a need. If you think our guys are just "bodies", have you looked at other rosters around the league at the ILB spot. It's not like there are tons of studs everywhere. I don't mind Ryan in a starting role if need be. We can't get too caught up in what position someone is listed at on the roster sheet. CMIII has experience at ILB and could fill if you are in a pinch. I've read of Biegel possible being capable of playing the position as well. Plus there's JJones who can moonlight for a few snaps. Not to mention that they could take another draft pick at the spot on day 2 or 3. And the great DL helps out the ILB's.

I don't even think it is either, think it depends how they value the position and  if they think they need a significant upgrade over Ryan.

Archived