TE a major need?

berlin calling

is TE really one of the bigger holes on the Ravens squad, hindering them from reaching the POs, or could it just be a lack of quality pass catchers in general that the Rwvens are missing?

IMHO, IF the Ravens would be able to finally draft a true #1 receiver and have a reliable WR core good for 3k+ yards alone (foundation set w/ Crabtree and Brown? tbc), there is no need for a top10 TE on this squad to be able to reach the POs and make a run. TE on the Ravens have rather been rated for their pass catching skills than blocking.

a quick look at the latest POs:

PHI
NE
KC

are the only teams to have a TE exceeding 500 yds last season. Vikings, Saints etc do not.

tldr: TE is AT MOST a 4th round need. draft a TE rounds 1-2 and i'll be sick to my stomach.

I agree, but not because TE isn’t a need or that it would really benefit us, but rather because I don’t see many TEs in this class worthy of the selection if their value continues to be inflated.

I think Goedert is the closest thing to a special talent, I would take him in the second but not the first (depending on who is available). I would take Ian Thomas in the 3rd, as he has an Alge Crumpler type of skill set to him.

But in terms of taking a first round tight end, I agree that the value isn’t in their favor. 

I'm not sure assigning a draft value to the need at tight end is a great exercise for this particualr draft class. It's okay, but not great. The second round is the highest I would take one and be fine with the Ravens doing so. It is a need. Boyle is a blocker and Williams can't stay healthy long enough to develop or make an impact. Like I said in the other thread Flacco can't have enough weapons. You want this offense to take a real step forward? Get actual good offensive players. It's not happening with scheme (sadly). Invest, invest, invest. That's where the NFL is going anyways. I don't think this is a trend a team can fight against the grain and be truly successful on a consistent basis. You need to score.

It's definitely a need, because the Ravens can't rely on Williams, Boyle or Waller to even reliably make it onto the field, let alone be effective when they're there.

But I certainly wouldn't take one in the first round, and probably not in the second either. TE seems to be a position that sits on the lower end of the reward scale. I quite like the idea of Ian Thomas, in the 3rd or 4th, as a Baltimore native and Ravens fan. But I don't know much about how he stacks up against the rest of the draft class.

13 hours ago, Mancunian Raven said:

It's definitely a need, because the Ravens can't rely on Williams, Boyle or Waller to even reliably make it onto the field, let alone be effective when they're there.

But I certainly wouldn't take one in the first round, and probably not in the second either. TE seems to be a position that sits on the lower end of the reward scale. I quite like the idea of Ian Thomas, in the 3rd or 4th, as a Baltimore native and Ravens fan. But I don't know much about how he stacks up against the rest of the draft class.

I would be stunned if Thomas makes it too far past the top of the third round. Probably a mid/late second round pick. His upside is huge. So yeah, I don't see him being a Raven.

28 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

I would be stunned if Thomas makes it too far past the top of the third round. Probably a mid/late second round pick. His upside is huge. So yeah, I don't see him being a Raven.

True. I’m thinking if there is a “top” TE to fall it might be Mark Andrews as he’s not as freakish an athlete as Gesicki, not as  explosive as Ian Thomas, nor as flashy as Dallas Goedert; Hayden Hurst could fall as well, but being this close to the draft with many analyst whispering him as the top option, there must be some truth to that feeling amongst teams. Andrews is more than any of the other TEs a glorified slot WR in that Oklahoma offense, he’s arguably the worst blocker of these options, and you hear less buzz about him than all the others. That all said, he is the youngest. He’s a solid 2-4 years younger than most of these options. Given another two years development, I think he could be on the same level if not higher than Dallas Goedert. In 4 years he easily could be better than Hurst. Though that’s the length of a rookie contract, so if he takes that long to develop he’s useless to us or any team.

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

True. I’m thinking if there is a “top” TE to fall it might be Mark Andrews as he’s not as freakish an athlete as Gesicki, not as  explosive as Ian Thomas, nor as flashy as Dallas Goedert; Hayden Hurst could fall as well, but being this close to the draft with many analyst whispering him as the top option, there must be some truth to that feeling amongst teams. Andrews is more than any of the other TEs a glorified slot WR in that Oklahoma offense, he’s arguably the worst blocker of these options, and you hear less buzz about him than all the others. That all said, he is the youngest. He’s a solid 2-4 years younger than most of these options. Given another two years development, I think he could be on the same level if not higher than Dallas Goedert. In 4 years he easily could be better than Hurst. Though that’s the length of a rookie contract, so if he takes that long to develop he’s useless to us or any team.

Speaking of young tight end prospects... Maxx Williams just turned 24 a couple days ago. 

4 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

Speaking of young tight end prospects... Maxx Williams just turned 24 a couple days ago. 

Good point. Though his knee injury and the lack of info on it kind of scares me on his prospects, otherwise I would still be in his corner.

That said, he does make me confident enough in our tight end spot that if we can add playmakers elsewhere on offense, such as FB, HB, and/or WRs then I could be convinced to see what we have in training camp and then pickup a veteran cap casualty later in the process if Williams doesn’t look good and Waller doesn’t make his way back.

Archived