Dez

LoganF89

3 hours ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

According to Mike Jones of USA Today, free agent Dez Bryant is not on the Redskins' "radar."

After being released by Dallas on Friday, Bryant said, "I'll see you guys twice this year," implying his desire to sign with another team in the NFC East. Apparently that team won't be the Redskins, who are planning to stand pat with Josh Doctson, Jamison Crowder and Paul Richardson as their top receivers. Bryant isn't the player he once was, falling short of 1,000 yards in three straight seasons while also leading the league in drops in 2017. Despite this, the 29-year-old is still a proven touchdown scorer and shouldn't struggle for interest on the open market.

tenor.gif?itemid=8967594

The only reason I responded to this was to provide the constant carmudgeon opinion that the Redskins are always interested. 

Glad to see them shy away from what used to be someone we would be first in line for. 

On 4/13/2018 at 2:35 PM, Slateman said:

So the plan is to sign ANOTHER number 2 receiver that can't get separation?

Look, guys, honestly, it's time to come to Jesus about this team's receivers: They aren't great at getting separation. In fact, we have a team that is basically nothing but possession receivers. No really, here are the stats: https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/receiving#average-separation. Even our "speed" guy is only getting 2.4 yards of separation. Now, remember that we just signed Alex Smith after a career year. In that year, he had Albert Wilson, who led the league in separation at 4.1, and  Tyrek Hill, with 3.5. It's pretty obvious that this is a guy who only throws to dudes who are wide open.

None of that describes Dez Bryant. Maybe once upon a time it was, but it isn't anymore. We do not need another number 2 on this team. We certainly don't need someone who is a prima dona headcase like Bryant.

Crowder gets open, Reed gets open and Richardson has the speed to get open. Doctson doesn’t need to get wide open because of his athleticism and ability to high point balls, he showed that off last year vs the Raiders and in other games. The issue was he didn’t come down with the ball when he hit the ground like vs KC, vs the Saints, vs the Cowboys or it was knocked out by the DB and I’m probably missing a few. Alex Smith used to play with Crabtree, Bowe and Kelce, who didn’t always get a lot of separation but could win on constested balls in the same way Doctson does. I think Alex is more comfortable throwing 50/50 balls than Kirk was. Kirk was affraid to throw ints because of the way his 2013 & 14 went and Alex should be better at that than Kirk.

17 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Hence why some of us weren't wowed by his 2017 stats

Crowder, Reed, Davis and Richardson have the ability to get wide open too, as does Thompson and all of them are as good at yac as the top 3 KC playmakers from last year.

The lack of playmakers in the passing game is not an issue for the Redskins and it won’t be an issue for Alex Smith. He’s worked with less before like his time in San Fran and his first few years in KC.

21 hours ago, Slateman said:

So the plan is to sign ANOTHER number 2 receiver that can't get separation?

Look, guys, honestly, it's time to come to Jesus about this team's receivers: They aren't great at getting separation. In fact, we have a team that is basically nothing but possession receivers. No really, here are the stats: https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/receiving#average-separation. Even our "speed" guy is only getting 2.4 yards of separation. Now, remember that we just signed Alex Smith after a career year. In that year, he had Albert Wilson, who led the league in separation at 4.1, and  Tyrek Hill, with 3.5. It's pretty obvious that this is a guy who only throws to dudes who are wide open.

None of that describes Dez Bryant. Maybe once upon a time it was, but it isn't anymore. We do not need another number 2 on this team. We certainly don't need someone who is a prima dona headcase like Bryant.

Agree with you about Dez.  But, according to PFF, Cousins had the most "open throws" out of any other QB the last couple years.  That's a nod to Gruden's offense creating open throws all over the field.  No one should worry about Smith seeing less open WRs this year.

1 minute ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Agree with you about Dez.  But, according to PFF, Cousins had the most "open throws" out of any other QB the last couple years.  That's a nod to Gruden's offense creating open throws all over the field.  No one should worry about Smith seeing less open WRs this year.

Thank you. I would just “like” your post but webby put a limit on likes and I run out every day on my likes.

20 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

1 year vet min. I wouldn’t be mad. Otherwise, pass.

I could be talked into as much 4-5m for a one year deal. But there's no way there's much of any guarantees and it certainly isn't more than a year.

17 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Crowder gets open, Reed gets open and Richardson has the speed to get open. Doctson doesn’t need to get wide open because of his athleticism and ability to high point balls, he showed that off last year vs the Raiders and in other games. The issue was he didn’t come down with the ball when he hit the ground like vs KC, vs the Saints, vs the Cowboys or it was knocked out by the DB and I’m probably missing a few. Alex Smith used to play with Crabtree, Bowe and Kelce, who didn’t always get a lot of separation but could win on constested balls in the same way Doctson does. I think Alex is more comfortable throwing 50/50 balls than Kirk was. Kirk was affraid to throw ints because of the way his 2013 & 14 went and Alex should be better at that than Kirk.

Reed is never healthy

Richardson doesn't get open despite his speed. Again, stats are there. If you watched him last season, you would know that a lot of his plays came off Wilson scrambles. Hes not the burner that Jackson or Hill are.

Doctson showed he doesn't get 50/50 balls against NFL DBs. Coming down with the ball is a big part of catching it. Until he can prove otherwise, I see no reason to believe he can. 

Alex Smith's entire passing career is NOT throwing 50/50 balls. Like all the things that people have complained about Cousin not being willing to risk throws and using the crackdown.... that's literally Alex Smith's career. If they aren't wide open, hes not going to risk it. He'd rather take a sack or throw a three yard dump off than turn the ball over.

12 hours ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Yea, I'm sure Andy Reid's offense doesn't create open throws all over the field ....

1 minute ago, Slateman said:

Yea, I'm sure Andy Reid's offense doesn't create open throws all over the field ....

Sigh. When did reading comprehension become such an issue in this forum?  Where did I say Smith didn’t have a crapload of open throws last year?  

He had a crapload of open throws last year.  He will again this year. That was the point. 

4 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Sigh. When did reading comprehension become such an issue in this forum?  Where did I say Smith didn’t have a crapload of open throws last year?  

He had a crapload of open throws last year.  He will again this year. That was the point. 

In what world does Gruden's schemes compare with Andy Reid? None. Literally none. One is borderline HoF talented. The other is a JAG. 

If you think Alex Smith is going to come to a team with significantly less talent and much worse offensive coaching and somehow not show a dropoff from his career year, you're nuts.

5 minutes ago, Slateman said:

In what world does Gruden's schemes compare with Andy Reid? None. Literally none. One is borderline HoF talented. The other is a JAG. 

If you think Alex Smith is going to come to a team with significantly less talent and much worse offensive coaching and somehow not show a dropoff from his career year, you're nuts.

O.o

Archived