Dez

LoganF89

1 hour ago, Slateman said:

In what world does Gruden's schemes compare with Andy Reid? None. Literally none. One is borderline HoF talented. The other is a JAG. 

If you think Alex Smith is going to come to a team with significantly less talent and much worse offensive coaching and somehow not show a dropoff from his career year, you're nuts.

I mean...yeah, Smith will probably drop off from last season. First of all, I would agree that 2017 was clearly his career year to this point. It’s just smart to bank on some regression. Plus, while I’d take issue with the “significantly less talent” evaluation depending on how the draft turns out, I think there will probably be some drop off in the talent around him as well. 

But I think you’re substantially overestimating the difference in Reid and Gruden as offensive coaches. Their offenses’ average rank (out of 32) in yardage is almost identical. And Reid has been able to build his career on two QBs who were top 3 picks — whereas Gruden has taken two utterly mediocre talents from Whocaresville to Pro Bowls and $20M/year contracts. 

Gruden still has a lot of room for improvement in terms of game management and probably other aspects of the head coach role. But if you think he’s a JAG as an offensive coach — especially since we’re talking specifically about his ability to design and implement a passing game — then I think it may be you that’s nuts. He’s one of the best passing game minds there is, his track record speaks very clearly to that.

4 hours ago, e16bball said:

I mean...yeah, Smith will probably drop off from last season. First of all, I would agree that 2017 was clearly his career year to this point. It’s just smart to bank on some regression. Plus, while I’d take issue with the “significantly less talent” evaluation depending on how the draft turns out, I think there will probably be some drop off in the talent around him as well. 

But I think you’re substantially overestimating the difference in Reid and Gruden as offensive coaches. Their offenses’ average rank (out of 32) in yardage is almost identical. And Reid has been able to build his career on two QBs who were top 3 picks — whereas Gruden has taken two utterly mediocre talents from Whocaresville to Pro Bowls and $20M/year contracts. 

Gruden still has a lot of room for improvement in terms of game management and probably other aspects of the head coach role. But if you think he’s a JAG as an offensive coach — especially since we’re talking specifically about his ability to design and implement a passing game — then I think it may be you that’s nuts. He’s one of the best passing game minds there is, his track record speaks very clearly to that.

Then there’s also the fact that if Alex throws the ball 50 times more in 2018 than he did in 2017 - which is likely in Gruden’s offense - and doesn’t get sat down in week 17 - which is also likely - that he will surpass his production from last year.

11 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Then there’s also the fact that if Alex throws the ball 50 times more in 2018 than he did in 2017 - which is likely in Gruden’s offense - and doesn’t get sat down in week 17 - which is also likely - that he will surpass his production from last year.

Except for the massive downgrade in talent ar the receiver and RB positions. Oh and the coaching staff.

Just now, Slateman said:

Except for the massive downgrade in talent ar the receiver and RB positions 

Don’t know that yet, we very will likely draft a very good rb and our receiving options aren’t that far off from KCs if Reed stays healthy (I know, I know) and I’d expect Crowder, Doctson and Richardson to be a little better with development from last year to this.

Unless you’re going to tell me that Hunt is a better receiver out of the backfield than Hunt - which I don’t agree with - and Albert Wilson is better than Crowder, which again, I don’t agree with.

Yes, we don’t have a Tyreek Hill and Reed hasn’t been able to stay healthy but other than that and us not having drafted our starting RB yet, I think this narrative that the KC weapons were so amazing last year and the Redskins weren’t or aren’t now is entirely blown out of proportion.

Well I see optimism is high around here.I think if we get a good RB,plug the holes at LG,ILB and add a serviceable NT we can post a better record than last season.Doctson needs to learn how to catch but he isn't a slug.Richardson I have no real memory of him since I have not watched thunder chicken games much.Crowder's best role is in the slot,he proved that last year.Reed is iffy health wise.But we have decent weapons.Smith is much more mobile than KC.A good running game to keeps Ds honest and they could scare a lot of teams.

46 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Don’t know that yet, we very will likely draft a very good rb and our receiving options aren’t that far off from KCs if Reed stays healthy (I know, I know) and I’d expect Crowder, Doctson and Richardson to be a little better with development from last year to this.

Unless you’re going to tell me that Hunt is a better receiver out of the backfield than Hunt - which I don’t agree with - and Albert Wilson is better than Crowder, which again, I don’t agree with.

Yes, we don’t have a Tyreek Hill and Reed hasn’t been able to stay healthy but other than that and us not having drafted our starting RB yet, I think this narrative that the KC weapons were so amazing last year and the Redskins weren’t or aren’t now is entirely blown out of proportion.

Wait...RBs only receive? That's the only threat from an RB the defense has to deal with?

41 minutes ago, TKellion said:

Well I see optimism is high around here.I think if we get a good RB,plug the holes at LG,ILB and add a serviceable NT we can post a better record than last season.Doctson needs to learn how to catch but he isn't a slug.Richardson I have no real memory of him since I have not watched thunder chicken games much.Crowder's best role is in the slot,he proved that last year.Reed is iffy health wise.But we have decent weapons.Smith is much more mobile than KC.A good running game to keeps Ds honest and they could scare a lot of teams.

Unless we get better at TE and RB, we won'y have one

2 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Wait...RBs only receive? That's the only threat from an RB the defense has to deal with?

What? My first point clearly states we are going to draft a good running back. Then, beyond that I don’t think our receiving options are that far off from theirs and then I stated Thompson is a better receiver out of the backfield than Hunt. 

2 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Unless we get better at TE and RB, we won'y have one

Let’s see what Kelce does w/o Alex. Everyone acts like Kelce made Alex so much better when in reality they complimented each other well. Alex was accurate when throwing to Kelce, and Kelce made plays when he got the ball. Exactly like Cousins and Reed when Reed was healthy and had 12 TDs & over 1000 yds (including the playoff game). 

We’ll draft a more dynamic running back, I have no doubt.

42 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

What? My first point clearly states we are going to draft a good running back. Then, beyond that I don’t think our receiving options are that far off from theirs and then I stated Thompson is a better receiver out of the backfield than Hunt. 

You're assuming we will draft a very good RB. We might very well wait and then bypass a good RB for an OLB that can't rush the passer. Or wait until the 4th or 5th rounder and draft a plodder who can't see the field.

You're also stating that we're overblowing KC's weapons vs what we had/have. I'm asking you what running game do we have? Hunt almost outgained our entire team last year. Hill was the fastest WR and was able to take the top off of defenses. Will Richardson be able to do that? Doubtful. Reed is always in the shop getting fixed. And Kelce is a top 3 TE. Alex had arguably top-3/top-5 talent at the 3 skill positions that he needed to help the offense. 

What do we have currently? Reed? Again - always in the shop. Crowder? After last year?? Perine? a slug runs faster. Thompson? Can he stay healthy? Doctson? Mr. 50/50...isn't. 

So we've pegged it all on Richardson to make this offense go by doing what DJax used to?  I mean, that's certainly a way to go. I wouldn't go that path, but...Ok... 

46 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Let’s see what Kelce does w/o Alex. Everyone acts like Kelce made Alex so much better when in reality they complimented each other well. Alex was accurate when throwing to Kelce, and Kelce made plays when he got the ball. Exactly like Cousins and Reed when Reed was healthy and had 12 TDs & over 1000 yds (including the playoff game). 

We’ll draft a more dynamic running back, I have no doubt.

I've thought this for the last few years. Lucy keeps yanking the football away each time I try to kick it.

44 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

You're assuming we will draft a very good RB. We might very well wait and then bypass a good RB for an OLB that can't rush the passer. Or wait until the 4th or 5th rounder and draft a plodder who can't see the field.

You're also stating that we're overblowing KC's weapons vs what we had/have. I'm asking you what running game do we have? Hunt almost outgained our entire team last year. Hill was the fastest WR and was able to take the top off of defenses. Will Richardson be able to do that? Doubtful. Reed is always in the shop getting fixed. And Kelce is a top 3 TE. Alex had arguably top-3/top-5 talent at the 3 skill positions that he needed to help the offense. 

What do we have currently? Reed? Again - always in the shop. Crowder? After last year?? Perine? a slug runs faster. Thompson? Can he stay healthy? Doctson? Mr. 50/50...isn't. 

So we've pegged it all on Richardson to make this offense go by doing what DJax used to?  I mean, that's certainly a way to go. I wouldn't go that path, but...Ok... 

Don’t forget about Davis. Our TE group is deeper.

7 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Don’t forget about Davis. Our TE group is deeper.

Only when it's healthy. Davis couldn't get open last year when he's the primary tight end.

Kelce has put up back to back 1000 yard seasons.

12 hours ago, turtle28 said:

No, we do. Unless Barkely falls to 13, there is no one who is going to be as good as Kareem Hunt. Yes, he's a better receiver out of the backfield than Thompson. He can also run the ball.

Hill, Wilson, and Hunt are light years ahead of Crowder, Docston, and Thompson. This isn't even debatable. They simply get open when they run their routes.

Archived