Excited/Disappointed/Players you wanted most

beardown3231

I stole a thread idea from the Steelers board a few weeks back. Now I steal this one from the Pats board.

What draft picks over the last few years were you most excited about? Most disappointed? Also, who were some guys that you wanted the Bears to draft (how they turned out, different story)?

I'll get it started. I loved the Trubisky pick. I remember watching and I let out a huge laugh. Cool to know the GM has nads.

I remember a few years back I wanted Duke Robinson, the Oklahoma OG, so badly. I think he played 4 seasons in the NFL. On the contrary I loved Zach Ertz. Wish he would have been a Bear in hindsight, too.

I HATED the Kevin White pick... I was in Draft Town with some buddies and let out an audible groan when Leonard Williams went the pick before us (really wanted him), fell to my knees in anger when we picked White (I really wanted Vic Beasley instead).

I despised both the Carimi and McClellin picks. Had day three grades on both. Carimi ended up on the ground way too often at Wisconsin to be considered a viable starting tackle. McClellin was a rotational DE/OLB in my mind and not starter material.

Loved the Alshon and Whitehair 2nd round picks. Both were my highest rated at their position in respective drafts.

Most wrong? I thought Evan Rodriguez was a good pick. Ouch.

8 minutes ago, G08 said:

I HATED the Kevin White pick... I was in Draft Town with some buddies and let out an audible groan when Leonard Williams went the pick before us (really wanted him), fell to my knees in anger when we picked White (I really wanted Vic Beasley instead).

Yeah, I'm a USC fan so seeing Williams go at 6 was hard. I had a water bottle in my hand and threw it across the room.

9 minutes ago, mikee said:

I despised both the Carimi and McClellin picks. Had day three grades on both. Carimi ended up on the ground way too often at Wisconsin to be considered a viable starting tackle. McClellin was a rotational DE/OLB in my mind and not starter material.

Loved the Alshon and Whitehair 2nd round picks. Both were my highest rated at their position in respective drafts.

Most wrong? I thought Evan Rodriguez was a good pick. Ouch.

The McClellin pick was a tough one for me, both then and now. I liked Carimi.

Once upon a time I thought big Mike Williams was going to be a stud

I really liked Hakeem Nicks, thought he had a decent career

I thought Chris Williams was going to be awesome at LT (WRONG)

Nothing will compare to my disappointment in 1999.

Bears were desperate for a CB and pass rusher on defense and a QB and WR on offense. Champ Bailey was #1 player on my board and Jevon Kearse was top 5. There was a big, raw QB prospect in Daunte Culpepper and a beast WR in David Boston in my top 10. Bears had the 7th pick and all 4 were still on the board.

I was ecstatic. Bears could draft the best player in the draft, at a position of need at #7. Instead they traded down with Washington, allowing them to pick Bailey. Boston went with the next pick.

Now drafting 12th, I was certain that Culpepper and Kearse would be gone as well and I was pissed. Culpepper almost made it to them, going one pick ahead of the Bears. But amazingly Kearse was still available. I had gone from ecstatic to pissed and now back to ecstatic. The Bears had collected a huge number of picks in their trade back and would still get an elite player at a position of desperate need. For just a minute I thought the Bears had won the draft...

Then, they selected Cade McNown. A player I had graded as an 7th rd pick or priority FA. I literally threw the couch cushion at the TV. That 1st round was the one day where I most questioned by Bears fandom. I seriously wasn't sure if I could stomach wasting years on McNown.

I didn't really pay much attention to the draft until the past few years...

2014 we took Kyle Fuller, I wanted Aaron Donald bad.... That said.I probably wouldn't have been happy trading up for him at the time (when in hindsight Aaron Donald was literally worth more than all of our picks combined from that year)

I also really wanted Dri Archer.... and I'm still sad that he busted so hard.... He flashed for Steelers in preseason then basically was never seen again until he was cut by them... Picked up as a FA by like the Jets or Bills  but never actually showed up there.

2015 I wanted Beasley in the first, and yes I'm still bitter about it.

2016 I wanted Jared Goff, but I didn't really think it was going to be realistic to trade up for him... Hated Wentz... and I think my "realistic" choices for that draft where Conklin-OT  > William Jackson III-CB..... I didn't like Leonard Floyd (and honestly am still only lukewarm on him at best)

2017 I wanted Mahomes over Trubisky.

Finally, I also have a soft spot for running backs, since that was my position when I played... and pretty heavily overvalue them every year.   Fornette, Gurley, Eliot, Tevin Coleman, and now Saquon Barkley are all dudes I was interested in.... as well as the "tiny" gadget type RBs  including Tavon Austin (bust), Dri Archer (bust), Tarik Cohen (probably my favorite pick of last year), Donnel Pumphrey (looking like a bust)

5 hours ago, G08 said:

Yep. Hated drafting a WR. Concerned guy was a one year producer in college and was seen as very raw.

Still won't call him a bust because injuries happen (and happen and happen) and he did not have an injury history in college, but it's kind of hard to have one when you only really have one big year.

5 hours ago, G08 said:

Once upon a time I thought big Mike Williams was going to be a stud

I really liked Hakeem Nicks, thought he had a decent career

I thought Chris Williams was going to be awesome at LT (WRONG)

Are you going way to USC big receiver Williams? I thought that he would be good, but as a Gonzales or Gates big receiving TE. Williams just the 'BIG' part, but without the receiving part and ate himself out of the league.

4 hours ago, mikee said:

Nothing will compare to my disappointment in 1999.

Bears were desperate for a CB and pass rusher on defense and a QB and WR on offense. Champ Bailey was #1 player on my board and Jevon Kearse was top 5. There was a big, raw QB prospect in Daunte Culpepper and a beast WR in David Boston in my top 10. Bears had the 7th pick and all 4 were still on the board.

I was ecstatic. Bears could draft the best player in the draft, at a position of need at #7. Instead they traded down with Washington, allowing them to pick Bailey. Boston went with the next pick.

Now drafting 12th, I was certain that Culpepper and Kearse would be gone as well and I was pissed. Culpepper almost made it to them, going one pick ahead of the Bears. But amazingly Kearse was still available. I had gone from ecstatic to pissed and now back to ecstatic. The Bears had collected a huge number of picks in their trade back and would still get an elite player at a position of desperate need. For just a minute I thought the Bears had won the draft...

Then, they selected Cade McNown. A player I had graded as an 7th rd pick or priority FA. I literally threw the couch cushion at the TV. That 1st round was the one day where I most questioned by Bears fandom. I seriously wasn't sure if I could stomach wasting years on McNown.

Hey, the guy was one of the best 'vomit on the field' QB's in history.

Yeah, he seemed like another wasted pick. The only reason he had any positive effect on the field was that he could at least blindly chuck up deep balls that Robinson would somehow haul down despite no matter how poorly thrown or how many defenders were on him. Robinson was a very good talent cut short by injury.

Not that the Bears were crying for a QB as we already had Grossman on the roster (not my guy, but the Bears had placed the wheels in his hands), but I REALLY liked Aaron Rodgers in the 2005 draft and already hated Grossman. The Bears had more immediate needs and drafted Cedric Benson. I follow Pac (10-12) football and the couple of games I saw of him he had all the throws, a heart of steel, and was mobile and seemed to see the field well. Kind of more controlled Mahommes who I wanted us to take last draft.

Just as well for the NFL as Rodgers would have probably been thrown to the wolves like Orton was that season when Grossman went down early and then become another failed QB experiment for the Bears. Perhaps sitting behind Favre for a few seasons helped Rodgers become the NFL QB that he is now.

Archived