Bears sign Bennie Fowler- 1 year deal

beardown3231

10 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I think the team would LOVE if Fowler and a draft pick make Bellamy entirely expendable. 

In a perfect world a rookie slots in at 3 with Fowler as a safety net at 4. You have White at 5 as a wildcard. Hopefully the Bears have a late round pick UDFA that flashes and Bellamy is gone.

2 hours ago, blkwdw13 said:

That’s all I expect from Fowler, a decent depth signing that plays special teams. 

GASP! It's almost like that's what we needed, a 4th/5th WR that can come in and get ~50 targets a year, and play adequate special teams. 

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

Very solid smart pick up...upside receiver coming off career highs who given where he will be on the depth chart has shown plenty on teams and is only 26 years old...nice work Pace.

You also have to consider the Bronco's QB situation went bad rather quickly (for whatever reason). Guy could be even better than advertised. 

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Very solid smart pick up...upside receiver coming off career highs who given where he will be on the depth chart has shown plenty on teams and is only 26 years old...nice work Pace.

I was not really interested in signing some aging ghost like Maclin.

Doesnt make sense with where the Bears are at.

My guy was Brice Butler, but Fowler is solid.

20 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I was not really interested in signing some aging ghost like Maclin.

Doesnt make sense with where the Bears are at.

My guy was Brice Butler, but Fowler is solid.

We did have Butler for a visit. Could have been a cost/chemistry thing. He said he wanted to start and he should do that in ARI. He might not have here.

2 hours ago, chisoxguy7 said:

We did have Butler for a visit. Could have been a cost/chemistry thing. He said he wanted to start and he should do that in ARI. He might not have here.

He never made it to Chicago.

When you sign a veteran recently released WR so often they are physically shot and all the experience in the world is not going to get them open.

6 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

His increased role only came when he finally got an expanded chance because Sanders got hurt and missed 4 games. What he provided IMO is exactly what we should expect from a mid-round rookie in a similar situation. 

2 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

It really would be but I think he makes the roster pretty easily.

I do too - if anything I think that if younger players make someone expendable it’s likely Bellamy with Fowler picking up his ST slack. Who knows though - I never thought we’d tender Bellamy at all. He’s one of the most perplexing players we’ve had on our roster in the past 10 years to me. He keeps being not great at anything and he CLEARLY caused a big locker room rift last year yet he keeps seeming to be a favorite of the staffs and front office. 

14 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I do too - if anything I think that if younger players make someone expendable it’s likely Bellamy with Fowler picking up his ST slack. Who knows though - I never thought we’d tender Bellamy at all. He’s one of the most perplexing players we’ve had on our roster in the past 10 years to me. He keeps being not great at anything and he CLEARLY caused a big locker room rift last year yet he keeps seeming to be a favorite of the staffs and front office. 

He must be the greatest practice player in franchise history ?

Archived