Bears sign Bennie Fowler- 1 year deal

beardown3231

4 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I do too - if anything I think that if younger players make someone expendable it’s likely Bellamy with Fowler picking up his ST slack. Who knows though - I never thought we’d tender Bellamy at all. He’s one of the most perplexing players we’ve had on our roster in the past 10 years to me. He keeps being not great at anything and he CLEARLY caused a big locker room rift last year yet he keeps seeming to be a favorite of the staffs and front office. 

I'm not a big fan of Bellamy but Fowler does not make him expendable at all. If anything, it would be the other way around beings that he's much more versatile on ST's than Fowler is. He has experience as both a gunner and a returner - something that Fowler does not offer. The Broncos not resigning him after playing 227 snaps on ST's with no viable replacement shows just how very little they valued him. 

They're both 27 and 29, respectively, so the age argument is only splitting hairs at this point and has no real relevant bearing whatsoever. 

Fowler is a garbage WR still living off of his days with Peyton Manning at QB......4 years ago. The ONLY thing that Fowler has shown to have over Bellamy is better hands but that's not saying much.

4 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

It really would be but I think he makes the roster pretty easily.

Easily?! Not sure about that. Who is he going to replace? 

Unless Nagy decides to go into the season with 6 WR's or if Pace doesn't draft a WR (which I don't see happening) there is no place for him. AR, White, Gabriel, Bellamy, draft pick, possible UFA.

Not too mention that him playing the slot only hurts his chances that much more because now he's competing with Cohen, Gabriel AND Burton in the Z.

He was brought in only to compete, and there's nothing wrong with that, but it's like this signing changes much of anything.

9 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Easily?! Not sure about that. Who is he going to replace? 

Unless Nagy decides to go into the season with 6 WR's or if Pace doesn't draft a WR (which I don't see happening) there is no place for him. AR, White, Gabriel, Bellamy, draft pick, possible UFA.

Not too mention that him playing the slot only hurts his chances that much more because now he's competing with Cohen, Gabriel AND Burton in the Z.

He was brought in only to compete, and there's nothing wrong with that, but it's like this signing changes much of anything.

Bellamy in a heartbeat.

13 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

I wouldn't say Bellamy and White are locks to make the team. Also, if it does wind up that Fowler is cut, when White suffers a season ending injury two plays into the first game, there's a chance the Bears could bring Fowler back, and he'd already know the system. 

2 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Bellamy in a heartbeat.

Then you're downgrading the roster. But to each his own I guess.

2 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I wouldn't say Bellamy and White are locks to make the team. Also, if it does wind up that Fowler is cut, when White suffers a season ending injury two plays into the first game, there's a chance the Bears could bring Fowler back, and he'd already know the system. 

I wouldn't be shocked at all to see White cut loose(I've stated the same thing before) but it also wouldn't surprise me if isn't either. Especially considering that he is still playing on his rookie contract and was Pace's very first pick so he's still holding onto hope. 

Just now, JustAnotherFan said:

Then you're downgrading the roster. But to each his own I guess.

I wouldn't be shocked at all to see White cut loose(I've stated the same thing before) but it also wouldn't surprise me if isn't either. Especially considering that he is still playing on his rookie contract and was Pace's very first pick so he's still holding onto hope. 

Your really not but yeah sure.

12 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Especially considering that he is still playing on his rookie contract and was Pace's very first pick so he's still holding onto hope. 

That's the root of the White problem, right there. GMs who can't admit mistakes often find themselves not being GMs anymore... 

1 minute ago, Madmike90 said:

Judging a guy on one play? Okay then.

Well I'm really not, but if I were to have done that I think it would still offer much more than just "he did more with less" argument (*an offense run by Fox and dumb-dumb*).

2 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Well I'm really not, but if I were to have done that I think it would still offer much more than just "he did more with less" argument (*an offense run by Fox and dumb-dumb*).

Yeah it really wouldn't...I saw Aaron Rodgers throw a stupid INT once...it is not going to be what I judge the guy on...the point is you can only judge these guys on what they have done...for me I was more impressed with what I saw when I watched some of Fowler's play than with Bellamy.

21 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Yeah it really wouldn't...I saw Aaron Rodgers throw a stupid INT once...it is not going to be what I judge the guy on...the point is you can only judge these guys on what they have done...for me I was more impressed with what I saw when I watched some of Fowler's play than with Bellamy.

Well we'll have to just agree to disagree on this because we obviously saw things differently. 

I just don't see him as a someone who can play on the outside, which is where we need the most help at right now. And even though I don't really care for Bellamy, he's the better option there between the two imo and his versatility brings more to the table on ST's as well. 

Outside - #1 Robinson, #2 ???, White, White's backup???

Slots - Gabriel, Burton, Cohen, backup???

(debating about borderline players - you can tell it's the off-season)

Archived