BUF G Richie Incognito "unretires", released by BUF, held for psychiatric evaluation

Broncofan

41 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Having liver failure as he described it wouldn’t suddenly be a reason to retire and then be able to play 3 days later.    More likely he had an elevation of liver enzymes (drugs, alcohol, post viral, etc).   But not a reason that required retirement.   Same for kidney issues.   There is no amount of kidney “failure” that suddenly is ok to play 3 days later.    He clearly exaggerated the issue or made up the failure angle - having abnormal tests doesn’t mean they are failing by themselves or needs to retire.   Pretty clear  by his subsequent actions it was a major exaggeration or made up fiction on failure to then say he can play 3 days later.  

I think you misunderstand what I said somewhat. No doubt what Richie said was an extreme exaggeration, if not a straight up lie. I am merely saying that there are a lot of reasons he could've given that would've made more sense if he indeed just wanted more money. I actually think he really just wants to retire for that reason. You don't make some bogus lie about not being able to play anymore due to health if your endgame goal is re-open negotiations with your team for a bigger contract.

2 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I think you misunderstand what I said somewhat. No doubt what Richie said was an extreme exaggeration, if not a straight up lie. I am merely saying that there are a lot of reasons he could've given that would've made more sense if he indeed just wanted more money. I actually think he really just wants to retire for that reason. You don't make some bogus lie about not being able to play anymore due to health if your endgame goal is re-open negotiations with your team for a bigger contract.

I guess that's possible - but if he wanted to retire for health reasons, he shouldn't be taking a signing bonus for 2018, and expect to keep it, either.    Now, by retiring, he unwittingly jeopardized 1.1M more of his past signing bonus.   But let's say he just wanted to retire - it's hard to believe he came up with this retirement idea only after he took the signing bonus with a pay cut 1 month prior.    The fact that he turned around 180 degrees about retirement, then asked for a release - it looks way more motivated for $ reasons than anything else. 

The most likely answer given he took the 2018 signing bonus is that he was trying to leverage $ with the retirement play - not realizing it was going to backfire in his face in a huge way.   It sure as hell wasn't the smartest play if that's the case - but keep in mind he did this all after firing his agent.   Any agent being retained would have told him not to pull the retirement angle, especially with seeing how the Brandon Albert saga played itself out.   The fact Incognito fired his agent only a few days before the whole retirement angle came out strongly suggests this was just all poorly thought out..on his own.  

• 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

So the Bills gave him his release....then this.    Held for a psych evaluation.   

Dude is a hot mess.  O.o

Holy hell. Wondering if there's some concussions issues to be wary of, that's some really erratic behavior...

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 10:45 AM, lancerman said:

Richie’s a good lineman but if it wasn’t for the Martin incident (and let’s be honest, Richie was no angel there) nobody would care about him 

Even still, he would be considered one of the dirtiest players in the NFL

6 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Holy hell. Wondering if there's some concussions issues to be wary of, that's some really erratic behavior...

Whatever it is doesn’t seem like it’s a one-off thing.    The paranoia isn’t necessarily that far-fetched but doesn’t really explain why he’d start throwing tennis balls or dumbbells at a random gym dude.   

Archived