BUF G Richie Incognito "unretires", released by BUF, held for psychiatric evaluation

Broncofan

Am I the only one that has issues with everyone blaming CTE every time a football player majorly messes up off the field?

Like I get that it's a problem, but give me a break, it's not the reason for every bad thing a current or former football player has ever done. Probably the worst thing about CTE becoming more known about is this.

4 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Am I the only one that has issues with everyone blaming CTE every time a football player majorly messes up off the field?

Like I get that it's a problem, but give me a break, it's not the reason for every bad thing a current or former football player has ever done. Probably the worst thing about CTE becoming more known about is this.

this isnt an ordinary "mess up". He clearly has mental issues, and if anyone argues that repeated brain trauma is irrelevant in that i really question where that would be coming from.

Just now, GSUeagles14 said:

this isnt an ordinary "mess up". He clearly has mental issues, and if anyone argues that repeated brain trauma is irrelevant in that i really question where that would be coming from.

He does indeed clearly have mental issues. He's apparently had mental issues his whole life, though. Even back as a freshman in college his behavior was concerning. He was in tons of fights, did things like spit on players, hell he even fought his own teammates.

The guy is screwed in the head. CTE might be contributing to that but it's sure as hell not the only thing wrong with him.

1 minute ago, TitanLegend said:

He does indeed clearly have mental issues. He's apparently had mental issues his whole life, though. Even back as a freshman in college his behavior was concerning. He was in tons of fights, did things like spit on players, hell he even fought his own teammates.

The guy is screwed in the head. CTE might be contributing to that but it's sure as hell not the only thing wrong with him.

fighting guys as a 19 year old kid is different than wanting to cut your dead dads head off. I really dont know why that had to be said. Not to mention, we still dont know that much about cte... as scary as it is to say its entire possible most hs football players have it.

And i never said it was the only thing wrong with him, you for some silly reason wanted to dismiss it entirely and basically called it an excuse for when guys screw up. Any science to prove that it has no negative effects on people?

fighting guys as a 19 year old kid is different than wanting to cut your dead dads head off. I really dont know why that had to be said. Not to mention, we still dont know that much about cte... as scary as it is to say its entire possible most hs football players have it.

And i never said it was the only thing wrong with him, you for some silly reason wanted to dismiss it entirely and basically called it an excuse for when guys screw up. Any science to prove that it has no negative effects on people?

Sounds like you're putting a lot of words in to my mouth, which from posts of yours I've read in the past, I'm not surprised.

I'm well aware fighting isn't the same as wanting to cut your dad's head off. I'm simply stating he has history of some mental issues to begin with. Yes, CTE can occur that early, but again my point isn't to claim CTE doesn't contribute to things like this.

Where in any post did I say CTE didn't contribute? Where in any post did I say CTE doesn't have negative effects on people?

I simply said I'm tired of that being the excuse for every major **** up by a football player. I think it's a lazy way to evaluate the mistakes they've made, and covers up trying to figure out other issues/contributing factors to said mistakes. There have been plenty of football players in their lives who given the amount of hits they took to the head I'm sure had some form of brain damage that didn't go and murder someone or want to cut their dead father's head off or whatever else.

It's perfectly acceptable to list CTE as a contributing issue to a player's mental issues, but it does no one any favors when every time a player ****s up to this degree, that's what receives the majority of the blame.

The amount of NFL players with CTE who haven't done something as awful as what someone like Hernandez did, or shown the mental issues that Incognito has, far outweighs those that have.

9 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Sounds like you're putting a lot of words in to my mouth, which from posts of yours I've read in the past, I'm not surprised.

I'm well aware fighting isn't the same as wanting to cut your dad's head off. I'm simply stating he has history of some mental issues to begin with. Yes, CTE can occur that early, but again my point isn't to claim CTE doesn't contribute to things like this.

Where in any post did I say CTE didn't contribute? Where in any post did I say CTE doesn't have negative effects on people?

I simply said I'm tired of that being the excuse for every major **** up by a football player. I think it's a lazy way to evaluate the mistakes they've made, and covers up trying to figure out other issues/contributing factors to said mistakes. There have been plenty of football players in their lives who given the amount of hits they took to the head I'm sure had some form of brain damage that didn't go and murder someone or want to cut their dead father's head off or whatever else.

It's perfectly acceptable to list CTE as a contributing issue to a player's mental issues, but it does no one any favors when every time a player ****s up to this degree, that's what receives the majority of the blame.

The amount of NFL players with CTE who haven't done something as awful as what someone like Hernandez did, or shown the mental issues that Incognito has, far outweighs those that have.

cool story bro, see your quote below... i didnt put any words in your mouth. you literally said the worst thing about cte becoming more known is now people use it as an excuse. 

Probably the worst thing about CTE becoming more known about is this.

cool story bro, see your quote below... i didnt put any words in your mouth. you literally said the worst thing about cte becoming more known is now people use it as an excuse. 

Or, if you're capable of a basic understanding of the english language and understand what context is, you can read everything before that and see that I'm saying CTE being blamed for every **** up by a player is the worst part of it being become more known.

Archived