Pick 3 for #14

spilltray

It is hard to pick just 3. My selections;

1. Landry (pass rush is at a premium in the NFL)

2. James

3. Ward 

4. Fitzpatrick (James is a better athlete, Ward is a better corner)

5. L Vander Esch

6. McGlinchy (protecting AR is important)

7. Trade down

Fitz, James, Davenport.  One will be there.

This won't be poplular, but Landry and Ward are NOT worth #14.  They don't grade out high enough.  Ward IS the best CB in the draft, but he doesn't grade out to pick 14.  Neither does Landry.  They would both be NEED picks and when we're drafting this high we really need to go BPA- fill needs later.

4 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

Fitz, James, Davenport.  One will be there.

This won't be poplular, but Landry and Ward are NOT worth #14.  They don't grade out high enough.  Ward IS the best CB in the draft, but he doesn't grade out to pick 14.  Neither does Landry.  They would both be NEED picks and when we're drafting this high we really need to go BPA- fill needs later.

How is Ward not worth #14?  What are you basing it on?  He's a plus athlete with ball skills and he plays bigger than he is...  Big school, played at a very high level.

Landry, I can get behind that statement more for him, but tell me why Landry doesn't grade out for you?  (I ask because he didn't initially for me either.)   Then, when done with that, grade his 2016 season and see where he belongs.  He was hurt in 2017.  Granted, I think that drops him a little bit, and I'd prefer him later than #14, but when you see elite traits in guys, you take them high.  Landry has elite explosion off of the ball and elite bend around the corner....while playing a premium position.  

9 hours ago, vegas492 said:

How is Ward not worth #14?  What are you basing it on?  He's a plus athlete with ball skills and he plays bigger than he is...  Big school, played at a very high level.

Landry, I can get behind that statement more for him, but tell me why Landry doesn't grade out for you?  (I ask because he didn't initially for me either.)   Then, when done with that, grade his 2016 season and see where he belongs.  He was hurt in 2017.  Granted, I think that drops him a little bit, and I'd prefer him later than #14, but when you see elite traits in guys, you take them high.  Landry has elite explosion off of the ball and elite bend around the corner....while playing a premium position.  

Fair enough, Ward checks all the boxes except size. He is really the size of a classic nickel back. Then I compare them to similar CBs from previous drafts.  Ward is the cream of this years crop, but historically wouldn't go this high because of size limitations. He's not quite the prospect Lattimore was (11th pick), I have him closer (but better) to Tre White (27). So I'd put Ward around 16-20? I think we're splitting hairs here.  I would take either of the two safeties, Fitz or James, ahead of him.

Landry has great measurable even though he lacks speed to power. He is all speed.  His numbers compare favorably to guys (his build) taken in the last half of drafts previously.

2 hours ago, Dubz41 said:

Fair enough, Ward checks all the boxes except size. He is really the size of a classic nickel back. Then I compare them to similar CBs from previous drafts.  Ward is the cream of this years crop, but historically wouldn't go this high because of size limitations. He's not quite the prospect Lattimore was (11th pick), I have him closer (but better) to Tre White (27). So I'd put Ward around 16-20? I think we're splitting hairs here.  I would take either of the two safeties, Fitz or James, ahead of him.

Landry has great measurable even though he lacks speed to power. He is all speed.  His numbers compare favorably to guys (his build) taken in the last half of drafts previously.

That's exactly what the Packers need though. We have pretty much exclusively boundary corners. King, House, Tramon. I wouldn't want any of them taking a lot of reps in the slot. Ward can slide outside if needed but none of our outside guys can slide in. I've pretty much counted Rollins out. 

10 hours ago, Dubz41 said:

If you look at Ward, purely on a tape measure, yes, he isn't tall.  Watch some tape of him...not just a game, but multiple games.  He plays bigger.  Quick feet, great reaction skills...etc.  What I like best about him is a pairing with King, who is 6'3''.  King can take the bigger guy, Ward can take the smaller, shiftier guy.  As far as a comp to Lattimore goes...Lattimore was dealing with a hammie, that dropped him some.  I'll maintain that if you put an inch and a half onto Ward's height, he's a lock for the top 8 in most any year.  Still might be.

I'd take Fitz over him...but not James.  

Landry.  Speed to power, or power to speed.  I didn't see much of it on tape either.  If you want that, then you grab Davenport.  I look at this way...with Landry.  Nothing disrupts the QB more than quickness and speed off of the edge.  Makes QB's jumpy and they tend to step up in the pocket.  If that happens in GB, the QB would be stepping up into Daniels, Clark, Mo and possible CM3.  Not too shabby.  As far as his comps go, not only does he compare favorably to guys in the last half of the first round most year, but also to Vonn Miller and Vic Beasley, although Beasley blew everyone else away.  Did that write up a few pages back on some thread.

My top three who won't be there:

1. Chubb

2. Edmunds

3. James

If I had any guts I'd put down Josh Allen in that group because him grooming behind Rodgers for 2 more years would put us in line to have 3 straight HOF QB's.

3 with a chance:

1. Landry/Davenport

2. Davenport/Landry

3. Trade down although I'd be fine with Ward here too. 

Archived