Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

For sure. Dach wasn't any better and he's already freaking built for the NHL lol. 

The only thing I say about the Nico pick is that there was talk we were going to take Makar. That's factual. And I'll give Shero a ton of credit for that because that draft was all about the Patrick vs Nico thing, so for Shero to even be considering that says a lot. But the Pettersson thing? Yeah, that wasn't a real thing at all. 

Frankly, if I have the #1 overall pick and he ends up a top 3-5 player in that draft (which nico easily is so far), then honestly, I'm pretty happy, because they don't always end up being that. You have the years where you have the clear cut #1 (McDavid), quite a few years where there is a number 1 / 2 tier, but then you have the years where there is considerable questions about who it should be, and honestly, I don't consider that year to be particularly good at the top (even if a lot of the top guys have panned out really nicely). 

People put too much stock into points. Nico is like a poor man's Anze Kopitar and that's ******* valuable, man. He's gotten so much better on the dot from pure work ethic, he's a great two way player and will compete for Selke's in the future. I can't speak on Pettersson's two way game but I can Nico's and it's fantastic. I love my little cake eater (Adam Banks reference btw).

I, too, give Shero credit for the Makar stuff and I have no doubt that, had we picked #2, he would've been our guy. Sometimes it's not always best to win the lottery apparently lol.

I truly believe Fitzgerald is going to be our GM and that's good news for keeping Castron around. I'm just hoping we get our guy behind the bench. I'm REALLY hoping that Rikard Gronborg is still an option and the ZSC Lions let him go. I'm not holding my breath but hoping for the best in that regard.

EDIT - That is assuming we can't pull Gallant.

Edited by beekay414

6 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

People put too much stock into points. Nico is like a poor man's Anze Kopitar and that's ******* valuable, man. He's gotten so much better on the dot from pure work ethic, he's a great two way player and will compete for Selke's in the future. I can't speak on Pettersson's two way game but I can Nico's and it's fantastic. I love my little cake eater (Adam Banks reference btw).

I don't know that he has kopitars top 3 MVP season in him, but I do agree with the premise. I consider him slightly more ROR though. He will win a Selke at some point.

As for pettersson's two way game, I think it's comprised mostly of playing offense twice as hard. That's my understanding at least. It could be wrong.

9 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I truly believe Fitzgerald is going to be our GM and that's good news for keeping Castron around. I'm just hoping we get our guy behind the bench. I'm REALLY hoping that Rikard Gronborg is still an option and the ZSC Lions let him go. I'm not holding my breath but hoping for the best in that regard.

EDIT - That is assuming we can't pull Gallant.

Yeah, I think Fitz is our guy. Honestly, not sure why we wouldn't give him a chance. He's well regarded. Should have gotten the wild job a couple years ago. I do think we're may hire Gillis as president, which I don't hate. I think Gillis and Gronborg would have been a great fit and match together. Then Fitz could just work on transactions and team building and they could work on player maximizing. 

If we really want Gronborg, and he really wants to come, is assume something could be worked out with regards to buying out the contract. If he tells them, "hey, I'm gone after this year anyway, so get something now", I don't know why they wouldn't. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't know that he has kopitars top 3 MVP season in him, but I do agree with the premise. I consider him slightly more ROR though. He will win a Selke at some point.

Yeah, that's why I said poor man's version. I can see him being a 70 pt player but I don't ever see him putting up that 1+ PPG that Kopitar did in his heyday (he was a 77 pt player at the same age Nico is now). Even if he's ROR, he's still worth the pick. I'll take a two way forward all day of the week. If you're not an elite scorer, you better be able to hold your own in your own zone. Another reason why I'd take Hischier over Pettersson and not blink. Also, Hischier blows Pettersson away on the dot. A full 10% better.

As for pettersson's two way game, I think it's comprised mostly of playing offense twice as hard. That's my understanding at least. It could be wrong.

lol that's awesome.

Yeah, I think Fitz is our guy. Honestly, not sure why we wouldn't give him a chance. He's well regarded. Should have gotten the wild job a couple years ago. I do think we're may hire Gillis as president, which I don't hate. I think Gillis and Gronborg would have been a great fit and match together. Then Fitz could just work on transactions and team building and they could work on player maximizing. 

If we really want Gronborg, and he really wants to come, is assume something could be worked out with regards to buying out the contract. If he tells them, "hey, I'm gone after this year anyway, so get something now", I don't know why they wouldn't. 

We have to get this "offseason" right, man. I'm on board with bringing Gillis in and grabbing a coach, like Gronborg, who makes the system fit the player and not the other way around. That's the sign of a great coach. Gillis gives us a new direction or, at least, new insight and another approach. I don't fear too many cooks in the kitchen after rumors of it being all Shero before. I think we can take what Shero put in place and then refine it under Gillis' and Fitzy's guidance and make significant progress. I keep reiterating that we're closer than most think and I truly believe that. We just gotta get the "not on ice" product down. You can't win if the guys in suits don't know what the hell they are doing.

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Who do Arizona and Vancouver play in the "qualifying round" or whatever the hell they are calling it?

Arizona gets Nashville. Hall versus Hynes, baby! LOL

Not sure about Vancouver, I'd have to check. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I think Vancouver can beat Minnesota. We all know how the NHL playoffs are. 

Any idea on when they're going to have the draft?

EDIT TO ADD: Yup am an idiot and misred your post.

September draft is the plan. Finalize the order after the playoffs finish.

Edited by Canadian Saint
Am an idiot and gave pick odds.
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Forge said:

It's not a great fit in my opinion (I htink Lavi should be on a team that is on the fringes of contention), but no doubt that this would be a huge boost with regards to the coaching department and I'd happily take this all day. 

FWIW I think Lavi would be a great fit for you guys. The dude has turned around every franachise he's been apart of, leading the Canes, Flyers and Preds to stanley cup berths. The guy is a master of building systems for the players he has, and then getting every player to buy in. He might not be the X's and O's teacher who can develop raw prospects, but he'll get the most out of the guys you do have, and really amplify their strengths. Dude is a great head coach who gets overlooked.

Also side note, what is the deal with M. Mcleod? Oilers have had some local radio guys speculate we might try grab him and reunite with his brother (who we have in the AHL).

7 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

FWIW I think Lavi would be a great fit for you guys. The dude has turned around every franachise he's been apart of, leading the Canes, Flyers and Preds to stanley cup berths. The guy is a master of building systems for the players he has, and then getting every player to buy in. He might not be the X's and O's teacher who can develop raw prospects, but he'll get the most out of the guys you do have, and really amplify their strengths. Dude is a great head coach who gets overlooked.

This is a little bit of my concern though, given how young the Devils are and why I have concerns about the fit. I just think that he's a guy better suited for a team that is more veteran laden. But like I said, I will not bemoan the hiring of Lavi at all. He's a tremendous coach, and whether or not he's a good fit for the team is entirely subjective, so I'd be more than happy to have him here. 

4 hours ago, Canadian Saint said:

Also side note, what is the deal with M. Mcleod? Oilers have had some local radio guys speculate we might try grab him and reunite with his brother (who we have in the AHL).

He's got the offensive skill of a potato, tbh. He's a bottom 6 defensive center. Skates really well, he's big...I think that is why the offensive skillset has never developed. He was bigger and faster than everyone coming up through juniors, never really needed it, and now he's lost without having it. I'd rather trade Zacha because I think he has higher value (since he's basically already acknowledged as an established bottom sixer and excellent Pker) and basically the same role. I don't think that the team would notice much of any drop off changing out one for the other, and Mikey is a far superior face off man. 

The more I think about it, the more I want Lavy. He's only finished under .500 one time in his career and he's developed some pretty damn good players in his day. He may not be KNOWN as a developer but I don't think he's a guy that hinders talent either.

If you would've told me before the season that we'd swap Hynes and Lavy, I'd have laughed you out of this thread.

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

The more I think about it, the more I want Lavy. He's only finished under .500 one time in his career and he's developed some pretty damn good players in his day. He may not be KNOWN as a developer but I don't think he's a guy that hinders talent either.

If you would've told me before the season that we'd swap Hynes and Lavy, I'd have laughed you out of this thread.

Nashville and Jersey could have saved each other a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot of time and just made this trade months ago. I would have happily accepted. 

Some people are simply never happy though. 

• Like 1