Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

9 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Alright, we really need to consider trading Blake Coleman. He'll never be better than he is right now and we could probably get a mint return if we did so. I think we need to do this rebuild right and cash in on Coleman and Palmieri at their peak values. Blow this **** up and start with a plan. 

I've been saying it for a while. And I love Blake. But he's 28 years old and an over achiever on a great deal for another 1+ year. His timing doesn't match up, and frankly, I'm not keen on paying guys for contracts that start at age 30. 

Also, damn we score shorthanded a lot

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

I've been saying it for a while. And I love Blake. But he's 28 years old and an over achiever on a great deal for another 1+ year. His timing doesn't match up, and frankly, I'm not keen on paying guys for contracts that start at age 30. 

Also, damn we score shorthanded a lot

We may very well be better at scoring goals on the PK than we are on the PP lol

And, yes. Trade Blake. The timeline doesn't match up and we need to gain assets any way we can. He's a great player but he would have so much more value for a SC contender. We could pull a really nice prospect or two for him.

Just now, beekay414 said:

We may very well be better at scoring goals on the PK than we are on the PP lol

And, yes. Trade Blake. The timeline doesn't match up and we need to gain assets any way we can. He's a great player but he would have so much more value for a SC contender. We could pull a really nice prospect or two for him.

If this team really wanted to rebuild, I mean full on, looking three years down the line, this draft is the one to do it, and it's not impossible to end up with like 5 first rounders.

Take Backes for a first. Trade Coleman, get a first. First for vats. Already have two. 5 first rounders in a deep draft isn't the worst thing ever. That doesn't even included palms. 

Over pay free agents for two years on short term deals

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Forge said:

If this team really wanted to rebuild, I mean full on, looking three years down the line, this draft is the one to do it, and it's not impossible to end up with like 5 first rounders.

Take Backes for a first. Trade Coleman, get a first. First for vats. Already have two. 5 first rounders in a deep draft isn't the worst thing ever. That doesn't even included palms. 

Over pay free agents for two years on short term deals

Exactly. Just do a scorched earth rebuild while keeping our young future stars. There's really no reason to hang on to Coleman and Palmieri after trading Hall.

Exactly. Just do a scorched earth rebuild while keeping our young future stars. There's really no reason to hang on to Coleman and Palmieri after trading Hall.

Don't tell that to hf lol

The thing is, that's basically what the Avs went through. They had completely bottomed out. They were horrific. They didn't worry about having Mac and Rats with vets or studs. 

It can work for sure. You have to hit the picks, no doubt, but you can raze it and be better for it in three years. 

Don't tell that to hf lol

The thing is, that's basically what the Avs went through. They had completely bottomed out. They were horrific. They didn't worry about having Mac and Rats with vets or studs. 

It can work for sure. You have to hit the picks, no doubt, but you can raze it and be better for it in three years. 

Exactly. It's better than being stuck in Edmonton Oilers land like we are now. Actually, that's a slap in the face to the Oilers. At least they damn near made WCF recently (lost game 7 to the Ducks in '17).

• Like 1

Exactly. It's better than being stuck in Edmonton Oilers land like we are now. Actually, that's a slap in the face to the Oilers. At least they damn near made WCF recently (lost game 7 to the Ducks in '17).

I simply don't understand the idea that you have to bring guys along a certain way, or in certain roles. Like, Mikey is probably a bottom sixer  at the NHL level, but people think it doesn't make sense to have him in for Hayden or Rooney because of their role. But their role is most likely his future role. Get him up and let him play the big boys.

A lot of these guys are what they are at 22. Guys like Blake that evolve post 25 are rare. 

I'm not saying to do that with everyone, but guys who have an NHL future (sorry Seney), and are 21 / 22 should get their shots on a rebuilding team

Also, we should be offering sevs to the knights for tuch. Both under contract, both good deals. Sevs isn't having a great year, but tuch has been brutal as well. Sevs is the type of rhd they desperately need, and he may succeed with the bounty of stay at home lhd they have. Tuch would get to six minutes for us and be paired with Nico or Hughes

• Like 1

Just now, Forge said:

I simply don't understand the idea that you have to bring guys along a certain way, or in certain roles. Like, Mikey is probably a bottom sixer  at the NHL level, but people think it doesn't make sense to have him in for Hayden or Rooney because of their role. But their role is most likely his future role. Get him up and let him play the big boys.

A lot of these guys are what they are at 22. Guys like Blake that evolve post 25 are rare. 

I'm not saying to do that with everyone, but guys who have an NHL future (sorry Seney), and are 21 / 22 should get their shots on a rebuilding team

Yeah, it makes no sense to waste them down in Bingo. It's not like we have some vaunted development program down there. If you're going to rebuild, you can't halfass it like we have. It's either you're in or you're out and we've been in the "eh IDK" territory since Shero arrived. I know he didn't have a lot to work with but we never fully embraced it. We got Palmieri for a steal, so the ROI is going to be great. We can't NOT trade him. What do we gain by his time here? I get that you need goal scorers but it's not like he's a 40 goal scorer. Hell, he's scored exactly 30 one friggin' time.

I don't get why the guys over on HF are so attached to Palms, Coleman and friggin' Severson.

• Like 1

Also, we should be offering sevs to the knights for tuch. Both under contract, both good deals. Sevs isn't having a great year, but tuch has been brutal as well. Sevs is the type of rhd they desperately need, and he may succeed with the bounty of stay at home lhd they have. Tuch would get to six minutes for us and be paired with Nico or Hughes

Abso-friggin-lutely. I'd be all in on that deal. I even mentioned Severson in my last post lol.

• Like 1

Abso-friggin-lutely. I'd be all in on that deal. I even mentioned Severson in my last post lol.

It makes a lot of sense for both. 

But I'm with you on their addiction to Coleman and palms. If you even bring up trading them, it's like the apocalypse. Which is hilarious because the gdts are filled with people incessantly bashing palms lol. 

I'm not saying you trade all the vets either. Keep zajac for his contract. He'll, let Mueller walk and bring Greene back as your 7th dman and let him know Nico is probably the new Captain.

Keep pk and bring in other vets on short term deals. Guys like Brian Boyle are always available

• Like 1

It makes a lot of sense for both. 

But I'm with you on their addiction to Coleman and palms. If you even bring up trading them, it's like the apocalypse. Which is hilarious because the gdts are filled with people incessantly bashing palms lol. 

I'm not saying you trade all the vets either. Keep zajac for his contract. He'll, let Mueller walk and bring Greene back as your 7th dman and let him know Nico is probably the new Captain.

Keep pk and bring in other vets on short term deals. Guys like Brian Boyle are always available

Exactly. We're talking about cashing in on two guys at their peak value. We'll still have PK, Travis and most likely Greene next year. I don't see why we need to have a set number of vets when your C and A are friggin' top notch vets themselves. Plus, like you said, we can sign stopgap vets for spots that we need. 

I know I feel like we're closer than most but I'm ALWAYS about cashing in on limited players at peak value and Palms and Coleman meet that description. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Exactly. We're talking about cashing in on two guys at their peak value. We'll still have PK, Travis and most likely Greene next year. I don't see why we need to have a set number of vets when your C and A are friggin' top notch vets themselves. Plus, like you said, we can sign stopgap vets for spots that we need. 

I know I feel like we're closer than most but I'm ALWAYS about cashing in on limited players at peak value and Palms and Coleman meet that description. 

Agreed wholeheartedly. 

I also really hope Arizona misses the playoffs. Having two picks int the top 12 or whatever would be so huge in this class, especially since one of those top 8 could easily slide

Just now, Forge said:

Agreed wholeheartedly. 

I also really hope Arizona misses the playoffs. Having two picks int the top 12 or whatever would be so huge in this class, especially since one of those top 8 could easily slide

Yep. I hope they trade Hall to try and recoup something just to put the icing on the cake. I don't care about whatever they get, I just want that 2020 1st from them. I'm taking off work so I can watch the draft this year lol.

• Like 1