Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

My 2018 offseason for the Devils

Draft
Best defenseman available at 17 whether that be Ty Smith, Jett Woo or K'Andre Miller. I love Ty Smith so I'd be more than okay if Shero traded up for him.

Free Agency/Trades
- Either buyout Cory Schneider or trade him for anything (even a 7th round pick)
- Sign Carter Hutton to a 4 year/$17 Million deal (basically covers the Schneider contract so it's really no added salary)
- Sign John Carlson to a 7 year/$60 Million deal
- Sign Calvin de Haan to a 4 year/$18 Million deal
- Re-sign Patrick Maroon to a 2 year/$5 Million deal
- Buyout Andy Greene
- Trade Michael McLeod to the Carolina Hurricanes for Hadyn Fleury
- Trade Damon Severson to Arizona for draft picks (Calgary's 2018 3rd and Arizona's 2019 2nd)

Depth Chart
Hall-Hischier-Palmieri
Johansson-Zajac-Bratt
Maroon-Zacha-Anderson/Quenneville
Wood-Boyle-Coleman/Noesen/Bastian

Butcher-Carlson
de Haan-Vatanen
Fleury-Santini

Hutton-Kinkaid

Analysis
The way I see it is this...I'd rather have defensive depth than anything. I'm more than okay with Mueller and Lovejoy being depth. I love Mikey McLeod but I think a prospect trade with the Hurricanes is the way to go and I'm beyond tired of Damon Severson. Not sure how Carolina would feel about a McLeod-Fleury swap but I'm willing to do it. The right side on offense is still a problem but we can always play around with it if it doesn't work out with the young guys. We can always move Maroon over to the right side on the 2nd line and bump Wood up to 3rd line. Would put Coleman as the 4th line LW in that set up. We have plenty of options.

Edited by bkobow05
Using this 2nd post for my mock offseason!

I really want to see us just go balls to the wall offense in this next game. Just let it go. We've tried playing tight defensively, it's not working. We don't have the talent (or awareness, quite frankly) to make that work. I want to put Tampa back on their heels as much as possible. I know the Johannsson has been cleared to practice and all that good stuff...I'm not sure if he's good to play, but if he is, get him in there. Rust be damned. Pull out Noesen and throw in Bratt, just get the skill guys in there and attack. I don't know that it will work, but it can't be any worse seeing as how we are down 0-2. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I really want to see us just go balls to the wall offense in this next game. Just let it go. We've tried playing tight defensively, it's not working. We don't have the talent (or awareness, quite frankly) to make that work. I want to put Tampa back on their heels as much as possible. I know the Johannsson has been cleared to practice and all that good stuff...I'm not sure if he's good to play, but if he is, get him in there. Rust be damned. Pull out Noesen and throw in Bratt, just get the skill guys in there and attack. I don't know that it will work, but it can't be any worse seeing as how we are down 0-2. 

Yep. Make sure Lovejoy is up in the press box, replace him with Severson, get MarJo in there if he's cleared and get Jesper back in there. What do we have to lose at this point?

18 hours ago, TwoToneBlue said:

I wonder how long it will take for this thread to have more pages than the NHL thread? Lol

Since it's going into the playoffs and offseason, I think it'll take slightly longer lol. But if we had started this at the start of the season, I think we would have passed it up by now lol. 

• Like 1

Going back to Schneider for game three. Not sure how I feel about that. Kinkaid hasn't been stellar, obviously, but the majority of these goals have absolutely not been his fault. Sure, I don't know that he's made any tough saves that he needs to yet, so maybe that's what it is. Hopefully gives the team a shot of adrenaline and gets them going, though Schneider's performances since the calendar flipped have not been good in any way, shape or form. 

4 hours ago, Forge said:

Going back to Schneider for game three. Not sure how I feel about that. Kinkaid hasn't been stellar, obviously, but the majority of these goals have absolutely not been his fault. Sure, I don't know that he's made any tough saves that he needs to yet, so maybe that's what it is. Hopefully gives the team a shot of adrenaline and gets them going, though Schneider's performances since the calendar flipped have not been good in any way, shape or form. 

Yeah, I don't like it. Kinkaid wasn't the reason we lost the games in Tampa. I'm much less confident about tonight than I was before. Thought we had a chance if we just play our game but Cory doesn't instill a ton of confidence right now.

6 minutes ago, bkobow05 said:

Yeah, I don't like it. Kinkaid wasn't the reason we lost the games in Tampa. I'm much less confident about tonight than I was before. Thought we had a chance if we just play our game but Cory doesn't instill a ton of confidence right now.

It also bugs me that he's been battling that groin injury forever now, and in his brief appearance in game 2, there was actually a stoppage because he hurt his groin again lol. He did make one nice kick save, which was good, but I have concerns about his flexibility at this point and being able to deal with that groin. 

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

It also bugs me that he's been battling that groin injury forever now, and in his brief appearance in game 2, there was actually a stoppage because he hurt his groin again lol. He did make one nice kick save, which was good, but I have concerns about his flexibility at this point and being able to deal with that groin. 

Honestly, I have no faith in Hynes right now. I'll wait to see what the lineup changes are too. If Schneider was the only legitimate change he made then, yes, I'm going to be beyond pissed.