Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Absolutely. I think, as long as we don't pick top 2, Drysdale is the top target on the board with how valuable young dmen are. Stutzle could be a superstar too so it'd be hard to pass on him though. I don't want to draft for need but I really want Drysdale.

Yeah, STI is talking me in to Stutzle lol. I was a fan from what I have seen, but the idea of another playmaker type was just aggravating. But STI is a huge fan and has kind of sold me on him lol. 

But the forward group is so deep. I mean, if AZ misses the playoffs and ends up picking at 12, that could seriously be some random top type guy falling. One of the swedes; Rossi due to size, Perfetti or Lundell. 

Then that doesn't even consider guys who may be there with the next pick (Lapierre, Perreault) 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Yeah, STI is talking me in to Stutzle lol. I was a fan from what I have seen, but the idea of another playmaker type was just aggravating. But STI is a huge fan and has kind of sold me on him lol. 

But the forward group is so deep. I mean, if AZ misses the playoffs and ends up picking at 12, that could seriously be some random top type guy falling. One of the swedes; Rossi due to size, Perfetti or Lundell. 

Then that doesn't even consider guys who may be there with the next pick (Lapierre, Perreault) 

lol STI can talk you into loving someone we picked in the 7th round. He has a gift. xD

That said, I do think that Drysdale would be #3 on our board, knowing how hard we've worked to get a top pairing blue liner and how deep this draft is at forward. We have a shot to get two top 6 forward types with the Arizona and Vancouver picks with how this draft is set up. I think that would give us the greenlight to take that risk on Drysdale, as early as #3 overall.

• Like 1

Know the format is all screwed up but I think this might be my favorite thing from today lol

SlapshotTheMovie said: 
When was the last time someone traded for a 37 year old bottom pair shut down guy who with max retension is making 2.5m dollars? I will wait.
Today, today was the day. You no longer have to wait.

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Know the format is all screwed up but I think this might be my favorite thing from today lol

SlapshotTheMovie said: 
When was the last time someone traded for a 37 year old bottom pair shut down guy who with max retension is making 2.5m dollars? I will wait.
Today, today was the day. You no longer have to wait.

I liked this post as well. This was hilarious lol. 

I'm actually sort of surprised that people are caught off guard by the Greene deal. It's not even really an overpay (though given that it's a year out, it could turn into one if NYI craters next sseason). 

But let's be real, I'd rather take this year's version of Greene over last year's Lovejoy. Lovejoy got a current 3rd rounder, Greene got a future second. Lovejoy actually got a AAAA, AHL / NHL 7th D cannon fodder player back, while Greene only got an AHL / ECHL tweener (right now) back. Honestly, if someone told me that Lovejoy's deal was better because of Carrick, I wouldn't argue...and Greene was the better player. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I liked this post as well. This was hilarious lol. 

I'm actually sort of surprised that people are caught off guard by the Greene deal. It's not even really an overpay (though given that it's a year out, it could turn into one if NYI craters next sseason). 

But let's be real, I'd rather take this year's version of Greene over last year's Lovejoy. Lovejoy got a current 3rd rounder, Greene got a future second. Lovejoy actually got a AAAA, AHL / NHL 7th D cannon fodder player back, while Greene only got an AHL / ECHL tweener (right now) back. Honestly, if someone told me that Lovejoy's deal was better because of Carrick, I wouldn't argue...and Greene was the better player. 

Ha, yeah. Nothing will ever baffle me more than the Boyle and Lovejoy deals. Of course, unless we get a 3rd for Simmonds lol.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I'm just gonna laugh when we win the lottery again and throws all this through a loop though lol. Feel like Drysdale is our Byram this year.

We just need one more lefty (for Butcher), I think...but man, in 2 years we could seriously be running out something like this: 

Left side

• Smith
  • Bahl
  • Butcher 

Right Side

• Drysdale
  • Sevs
  • Subban
  • Walsh

Just now, beekay414 said:

Okhotyuk or Misyul? Though I'd really like to find a legitimate top pairing LHD so Smith can become a luxury as an exceptional 2nd unit guy rather than trying to force him to be the #1 by default.

We have to get Misyul over here in the AHL. He's just not playing in Russia enough. 

I'm not sure about Okhotyuk. We are huge on him (as evidenced by the fact that he's already been signed), but I have seen evaluators sort of lukewarm on him. 

Either of those guys could certainly be it though. 

Just now, Forge said:

We have to get Misyul over here in the AHL. He's just not playing in Russia enough. 

I'm not sure about Okhotyuk. We are huge on him (as evidenced by the fact that he's already been signed), but I have seen evaluators sort of lukewarm on him. 

Either of those guys could certainly be it though. 

I think we could do FAR worse as far as bottom pairing LHD goes. Okhotyuk's negatives all spurn from his lack of offensive game. Too many people are keyed in on offense. He's a god damn monster in his own zone.

Just now, beekay414 said:

I think we could do FAR worse as far as bottom pairing LHD goes. Okhotyuk's negatives all spurn from his lack of offensive game. Too many people are keyed in on offense. He's a god damn monster in his own zone.

That would make sense. If a guy isn't a PP1 defender, I feel like they get knocked down immediately in evals. I'm not sure I really agree with that, because as we have seen with the Devils, guys that can just clear out the junk in our own end are just so damn important. 

13 minutes ago, Forge said:

That would make sense. If a guy isn't a PP1 defender, I feel like they get knocked down immediately in evals. I'm not sure I really agree with that, because as we have seen with the Devils, guys that can just clear out the junk in our own end are just so damn important. 

Yep. That's the reason why Drysdale is considered so far ahead of the rest of his peers in this class. If he didn't have PP1 ability, he'd be questioned because of his size and grouped right in with the rest of the group.

It's the same reason why I think people are sleeping massively on Kaiden Guhle. He's similar to Bahl but he's just not as massive, obviously. Someone that's extremely disciplined in his own zone and has a booming shot from the point. I'll take the smart player with solid tools over the raw player with tools for days but hasn't put it together at the same age as his peers have. Sure, they could boom big time but they are faaaaaaaaaaaar more risky. 

Just look at K'Andre Miller at Wisconsin! He's got EVERYTHING you want in a top pairing defender but he's TERRIBLE right now. The blue line at Wisconsin is the reason why they are so bad. No team that has Cole Caufield, Alex Turcotte, Dylan Holloway, Ryder Donovan and Owen Lindmark at forward should be as bad as they are.

Edited by beekay414