Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

Just now, beekay414 said:

I don't care much for their rankings so it's hard to take it seriously. You run the lottery and nothing moves after that. They are great for basketball but hockey isn't their forte lol. 

Yeah, I ran a few after that, and it was basically the same players in every spot regardless of team. 

Then I ran one on fanspeak, but hard to take that seriously when I get Mysak in round 4 lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Simmonds? He'll get moved. There's no reason not to. 

Lack of interest lol. Vancouver is apparently in, but I don't expect many to be. And Vancouver is a bigger deal. 

Personally, I think it's Columbus for like a 4 or 5 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Lack of interest lol. Vancouver is apparently in, but I don't expect many to be. And Vancouver is a bigger deal. 

Personally, I think it's Columbus for like a 4 or 5 

I trust Fitzy to do it right and weaponize the space. He's trying to slay this deadline so he'll hit a grand slam baby. 

(Let me be lol)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

I trust Fitzy to do it right and weaponize the space. He's trying to slay this deadline so he'll hit a grand slam baby. 

(Let me be lol)

If we don't weaponize some space, I'm going to be livid. Even if that means signing guys to big one year deals with good bounce back potential who can be flipped at the deadline (similar to Simmonds this year, but you know, better players). You know we have like 30+ million in space right now next year? And are RFAs are Bratt and Blackwood who will probably get 6 million a season combined. 

Merkley is an RFA, but he hasn't played enough to justify anything big. Mueller may just get sent packing and Colton White is an AHL top 2 type defender, so pretty small amount there. We have money for days 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Forge said:

If we don't weaponize some space, I'm going to be livid. Even if that means signing guys to big one year deals with good bounce back potential who can be flipped at the deadline (similar to Simmonds this year, but you know, better players). You know we have like 30+ million in space right now next year? And are RFAs are Bratt and Blackwood who will probably get 6 million a season combined. 

Merkley is an RFA, but he hasn't played enough to justify anything big. Mueller may just get sent packing and Colton White is an AHL top 2 type defender, so pretty small amount there. We have money for days 

I'm doing my best to assume that we're being run by competent hockey folks. We have to get to the cap floor and we might as well do that by gaining assets to take on bad short term contracts.

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I'm doing my best to assume that we're being run by competent hockey folks. We have to get to the cap floor and we might as well do that by gaining assets to take on bad short term contracts.

Yeah, I don't mind doing that at all. That's why I think the people who are "but you have to be able to field a team!" are out to lunch. We will have opportunities to add players. We are going to be bad regardless next year, so they don't really matter, but you can certainly take on several buy low guys, hope to get lucky on one to produce (which probably isn't hard given the roster and the fact that a solid guy will play top 6). 

Also, you could just shoot for the moon. I was somewhat joking when I said we were giong to pay 15 million for a season of Hall and flip him at the deadline again, but honestly, if he finds a soft market because his year has been kind of meh, maybe he and the team both like the sound of a one year, 11 million dollar deal to try and rebuild value, get flipped at the deadline again, etc. I'd do it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yeah, I don't mind doing that at all. That's why I think the people who are "but you have to be able to field a team!" are out to lunch. We will have opportunities to add players. We are going to be bad regardless next year, so they don't really matter, but you can certainly take on several buy low guys, hope to get lucky on one to produce (which probably isn't hard given the roster and the fact that a solid guy will play top 6). 

Also, you could just shoot for the moon. I was somewhat joking when I said we were giong to pay 15 million for a season of Hall and flip him at the deadline again, but honestly, if he finds a soft market because his year has been kind of meh, maybe he and the team both like the sound of a one year, 11 million dollar deal to try and rebuild value, get flipped at the deadline again, etc. I'd do it. 

Exactly! We have so many avenues to take, it'd be a massive shame if we don't consider them all. I'd be all for giving Hall a massive one year deal and shipping him back out again. I'd do that for anyone not in our long term plans. We have to be creative because the draft and trade straight up approach has no worked for us. We should've taken Marleau's ******* contract and gotten that Toronto pick. Let's hope our owners are serious about wanting to win and don't take the cheap way out. All avenues have to be open otherwise we might as well just suck forever.

• Like 1

Just now, beekay414 said:

Exactly! We have so many avenues to take, it'd be a massive shame if we don't consider them all. I'd be all for giving Hall a massive one year deal and shipping him back out again. I'd do that for anyone not in our long term plans. We have to be creative because the draft and trade straight up approach has no worked for us. We should've taken Marleau's ******* contract and gotten that Toronto pick. Let's hope our owners are serious about wanting to win and don't take the cheap way out. All avenues have to be open otherwise we might as well just suck forever.

I'm still trying to figure out why David Backes isn't on our team right now lol. 

I wouldn't even trade them Palms. I'd just straight up take Backes + 1st (it can even be 2021, top 10 protected) so they can afford Kreider or something. 

Then I'd ship Palms off to Edmonton or Calgary or something :D:D

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I'm still trying to figure out why David Backes isn't on our team right now lol. 

I wouldn't even trade them Palms. I'd just straight up take Backes + 1st (it can even be 2021, top 10 protected) so they can afford Kreider or something. 

Then I'd ship Palms off to Edmonton or Calgary or something :D:D

I'd take Backes by himself for Vaak like STI suggested a few days ago.