Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

8 hours ago, Canadian Saint said:

I think I read it will be a minimum of 4 weeks. Real interesting to see if it goes on longer (I presume it will) what the line in the sand is for the NHL to cancel the season. Being a winter sport, we can't exactly play into summer like the NBA can. I reckon if it's 6 weeks or longer, I have to think they'll scrap the season.

Does the winter thing really matter when they play indoors? It isn't like they need the pond out back to be frozen. It might cost more to keep it cold enough but I'd bet they can do it. I actually think they have it easier than basketball because the the NBA will have to contend with the Olympics limiting how late they can go. NHL has free reign basically.

7 hours ago, mse326 said:

Does the winter thing really matter when they play indoors? It isn't like they need the pond out back to be frozen. It might cost more to keep it cold enough but I'd bet they can do it. I actually think they have it easier than basketball because the the NBA will have to contend with the Olympics limiting how late they can go. NHL has free reign basically.

You are absolutely right that indoor stadiums can produce ice, however is more warmer climates like say Tampa Bay, it's going to depend a lot on the cooling systems in place. If they preform up to standard then you're right, it shouldn't be a problem. However, if it doesn't perform up to standard, you're looking at bad ice. What that means is skating is going to be tougher as skaters will have to work harder to get from point A to B. This does two things primarily. 1.) it changes the game. Bad ice would hurt skill teams and have the NHL revert back to more dump and chase hockey. 2.) it should increase the chance of injury to players. Especially things like tears and such. An analogy could be a really wet field in football.

I do think there will be hockey this season, but I think they'll scrap the rest of the regular season, make the first 3 rounds of the playoffs best of 5 series and the Stanley cup a best of 7. That is however if the pandemic is manageable by then. They have a natural deadline of July 1st with contracts expiring, and even if you could get an extenion, latest is start of August.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Forge said:

They aren't in the playoffs as it is in pretty sure. I'd expect that pick to kick to 21

Was considering this "playoff" format. They'd technically be in so the protections would have to be clarified if something like this happened. It won't because I doubt the season happens, especially getting pushed back to likely June. 

So I think that the season is just going to be done, right? I don't know that they will even bring it back for a playoff run at this point if we assume that this is going to go on through May. I swear if they end up just doing an entire NHL lotto for picks, that's going to suck. But I can't imagine that they go that route, I mean the crap teams are very clearly the crap teams. 

• 3 weeks later...

Athletic did a mock, gave us picks 6 and 10, resulted in Holtz and Askarov. Woof. 

It started out about as bad as possible with Stutzle, Drysdale, Rossi going 3-5. I like Holtz, just not as much as the other three. 

Askarov is a pass for me. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Forge said:

Athletic did a mock, gave us picks 6 and 10, resulted in Holtz and Askarov. Woof. 

It started out about as bad as possible with Stutzle, Drysdale, Rossi going 3-5. I like Holtz, just not as much as the other three. 

Askarov is a pass for me. 

Glad I didn't sign up for the athletic to read that lol

On 22/03/2020 at 7:09 PM, Forge said:

So I think that the season is just going to be done, right? I don't know that they will even bring it back for a playoff run at this point if we assume that this is going to go on through May. I swear if they end up just doing an entire NHL lotto for picks, that's going to suck. But I can't imagine that they go that route, I mean the crap teams are very clearly the crap teams. 

Man all major sports are praying they can finish out the season. NHL in particular needs to finish out the season because next years salary cap depends on playoff revenue. I really think we'll finish this season, even if it means cutting into next season. It's just going to be a strange time for draft and free agency.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, beekay414 said:

We apparently interviewed Gallant 

I was just about to post this because i just saw it. About damn time. Like Lavy, he's probably short term because he tends to wear out his welcome, but damn, he's a good choice if we go that route. He'd get the young guys that can actually play going. 

• Like 1

tbh gallant would be a great pickup for you guys and would certainly make me stand up and take notice, what he's done in vegas and elsewhere speaks for itself and he'd really be able to get a lot out of your younger guys - i think you guys are a good coach who can select four good lines (instead of what hines and nasreddine had been rolling out with their poor selections) away from giving my pens and the caps a bit of a shake in the metro tbh

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I don't know much about him. Seems he led the KHL defensemen in PPG and is highly in demand. Seeing Rangers and Habs linked to him as well. Looks like he's basically locked into a one year deal no matter what because he's still young enough to fall under the terms of ELC restrictions. Would be a huge help for us though on that left side. 

• Like 1