Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

Okay, now that we have gotten that out of the way, we should realize that these guys aren't that much better from us. No reason to sit back on them...attack attack attack. We can hang with them...we won 3 in a row during the regular season, why not in the playoffs.Then we just need one out of two. Just clean up the special teams. 

Taylor Hall – Nico Hischier – Kyle Palmieri

Marcus Johansson – Pavel Zacha – Patrick Maroon

Blake Coleman – Travis Zajac – Stefan Noesen

Miles Wood – Brian Boyle – Drew Stafford

Andy Greene – Sami Vatanen

John Moore – Damon Severson

Will Butcher – Ben Lovejoy

Cory Schneider

Keith Kinkaid

Scratched: Eddie Lack, Jimmy Hayes, Steven Santini, Mirco Mueller, Michael Grabner, Jesper Bratt

Really don't like what Hynes dos with the lineup

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Believe so. Who knows, maybe Hynes is just smarter than me...I just don't like that lineup construction lol. 

Trust me, I don't either. I know why he did it though. We won with it so he figured "no change necessary." I just have no idea what John Moore and Ben Lovejoy have to do to get benched. They've easily been our worst players out there.

• Like 1

If we don't make significant dman changes in the off-season (we will because Ray Shero doesn't know how to sit still and not make moves), I want to see the following pairings:

Greene-Vatanen
Butcher-Severson
Mueller-Santini

With Lovejoy being a healthy scratch every night. Will there be growing pains? Absolutely. However, I like the offense/defense balance of the pairings. 

Now, that I say that, we'll go out and make a trade and sign John Carlson or some other Ray Shero wizardry. 

40 minutes ago, bkobow05 said:

If we don't make significant dman changes in the off-season (we will because Ray Shero doesn't know how to sit still and not make moves), I want to see the following pairings:

Greene-Vatanen
Butcher-Severson
Mueller-Santini

With Lovejoy being a healthy scratch every night. Will there be growing pains? Absolutely. However, I like the offense/defense balance of the pairings. 

Now, that I say that, we'll go out and make a trade and sign John Carlson or some other Ray Shero wizardry. 

I don't mind that. I was actually more impressed with Santini earlier in the year than I was with Severson defensively. I'd love to grab Carlson if possible, and honestly, I'd totally sell Severson if I can and take the upgrade there. 

• Like 1

My 2018 offseason for the Devils

Draft
Best defenseman available at 17 whether that be Ty Smith, Jett Woo or K'Andre Miller. I love Ty Smith so I'd be more than okay if Shero traded up for him.

Free Agency/Trades
- Either buyout Cory Schneider or trade him for anything (even a 7th round pick)
- Sign Carter Hutton to a 4 year/$17 Million deal (basically covers the Schneider contract so it's really no added salary)
- Sign John Carlson to a 7 year/$60 Million deal
- Sign Calvin de Haan to a 4 year/$18 Million deal
- Re-sign Patrick Maroon to a 2 year/$5 Million deal
- Buyout Andy Greene
- Trade Michael McLeod to the Carolina Hurricanes for Hadyn Fleury

Depth Chart
Hall-Hischier-Palmieri
Johansson-Zajac-Bratt
Maroon-Zacha-Anderson/Quenneville
Wood-Boyle-Coleman/Noesen/Bastian

Butcher-Carlson
de Haan-Vatanen
Fleury-Severson

Hutton-Kinkaid

Analysis
The way I see it is this...I'd rather have defensive depth than anything. I'm more than okay with Mueller and Santini being that depth with Lovejoy just being released. I love Mikey McLeod but I think a prospect trade with the Hurricanes is the way to go. Not sure how they'd feel about a McLeod-Fleury swap but I'm willing to do it. The right side on offense is still a problem but we can always play around with it if it doesn't work out with the young guys. We can always move Maroon over to the right side on the 2nd line and bump Wood up to 3rd line. Would put Coleman as the 4th line LW in that set up. We have plenty of options.

Edited by bkobow05
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, bkobow05 said:

My 2018 offseason for the Devils

Draft
Best defenseman available at 17 whether that be Ty Smith, Jett Woo or K'Andre Miller. I love Ty Smith so I'd be more than okay if Shero traded up for him.

Free Agency/Trades
- Either buyout Cory Schneider or trade him for anything (even a 7th round pick)
- Sign Carter Hutton to a 4 year/$17 Million deal (basically covers the Schneider contract so it's really no added salary)
- Sign John Carlson to a 7 year/$60 Million deal
- Sign Calvin de Haan to a 4 year/$18 Million deal
- Re-sign Patrick Maroon to a 2 year/$5 Million deal
- Buyout Andy Greene
- Trade Michael McLeod to the Carolina Hurricanes for Hadyn Fleury

Depth Chart
Hall-Hischier-Palmieri
Johansson-Zajac-Bratt
Maroon-Zacha-Anderson/Quenneville
Wood-Boyle-Coleman/Noesen/Bastian

Butcher-Carlson
de Haan-Vatanen
Fleury-Severson

Hutton-Kinkaid

Analysis
The way I see it is this...I'd rather have defensive depth than anything. I'm more than okay with Mueller and Santini being that depth with Lovejoy just being released. I love Mikey McLeod but I think a prospect trade with the Hurricanes is the way to go. Not sure how they'd feel about a McLeod-Fleury swap but I'm willing to do it. The right side on offense is still a problem but we can always play around with it if it doesn't work out with the young guys. We can always move Maroon over to the right side on the 2nd line and bump Wood up to 3rd line. Would put Coleman as the 4th line LW in that set up. We have plenty of options.

Damn. I haven't thought about it this much yet lol. I need to get on that.  I'd be pretty stoked about the team moving forward with this team though. 

• Like 1

6 minutes in...meh. Offensively we haven't gotten much going, though the kill was big. Lovejoy and Severson are just an adventure whenever they are on the ice on the defensive end. Saw Lovejoy misplay one, and Severson missed a puck at the back of the net and accidentally kicked right into the front of the net for an easy shot for Palat. I don't know that there's a defensemen that mishandles pucks and does things like that more than Severson lol. Stafford had a nice little shift to start the game, so that is hopeful.