Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

1 minute ago, Forge said:

https://www.tsn.ca/bob-mckenzie-s-final-ranking-lafreniere-the-surest-thing-in-most-uncertain-draft-year-1.1488272

I only use this for the purposes of the draft because it's more tied in to the NHL landscape as opposed to a Pronman or Wheeler list. obviously the draft will still have some random moments, and not all scouts / teams feel the same so there's some variance, but I think that it's a decent baseline for judging when people may go

Thanks. It'll help give me more of an idea of what kind of players could be on board with our falling picks.

7 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Dude, looking at Bobbie Mac's list, Carolina better play Vatanen every damn game. That's some real talent there even if it's the 3rd round.

I'd be good with making that pick, but honestly, I'm all in on trading that pick and the NYI 2nd next year. I can mock Swiss Prodigy just a little bit for his over the top nature, but he's not wrong in some regards. Good trades would help a ton. I disagree with him that those trades need to be our first rounders though. Carolina's third, NYI 2nd next year is what we paid for Gusev. Similar to what we paid for Palmieri. Similar to what we paid for Marjo. We can get so much talent from teams in a cap flat world for those two picks, and long term talent to boot. So I realy hope we put out feelers for that pick. 

Just now, Forge said:

I'd be good with making that pick, but honestly, I'm all in on trading that pick and the NYI 2nd next year. I can mock Swiss Prodigy just a little bit for his over the top nature, but he's not wrong in some regards. Good trades would help a ton. I disagree with him that those trades need to be our first rounders though. Carolina's third, NYI 2nd next year is what we paid for Gusev. Similar to what we paid for Palmieri. Similar to what we paid for Marjo. We can get so much talent from teams in a cap flat world for those two picks, and long term talent to boot. So I realy hope we put out feelers for that pick. 

Agreed. It gives us more flexibility. We have a plethora of options in regards to addressing team needs. But, purely looking at it from a draft perspective, I really want that pick lol.

I, for one, think we're going to trade for Zadorov and put him next to Severson. If we're smart, we'll leave Smith on the right side and try to sign a guy that fits with him on the bottom pairing. If not, and we're forcing him to his natural hand side, I'd go after Gudas. Butcher will be with Subban likely on the default first pairing, unless Smith and Subban pair together well and Smith shows out in the extended camp.

Butcher/Smith-Subban
Zadorov-Severson
Smith/Butcher-Gudas

If we're keeping Smith on the right side...sign Jon Merrill or Andy Greene or put him with Mueller.

Butcher-Subban
Zadorov-Severson
Greene/Merrill/Mueller-Smith

With the offensive improvement likely to come under Ruff, we're a bubble team with that defense for sure.

Edited by beekay414

11 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I, for one, think we're going to trade for Zadorov and put him next to Severson. If we're smart, we'll leave Smith on the right side and try to sign a guy that fits with him on the bottom pairing. If not, and we're forcing him to his natural hand side, I'd go after Gudas. Butcher will be with Subban likely on the default first pairing, unless Smith and Subban pair together well and Smith shows out in the extended camp.

Butcher/Smith-Subban
Zadorov-Severson
Smith/Butcher-Gudas

If we're keeping Smith on the right side...sign Jon Merrill or Andy Greene or put him with Mueller.

Butcher-Subban
Zadorov-Severson
Greene/Merrill/Mueller-Smith

With the offensive improvement likely to come under Ruff, we're a bubble team with that defense for sure.

I think the Zadorov trade makes a ton of sense. He's not great, but he's an improvement for sure. 

I'd really, really like to trade Butcher. Just no upside there and we are going to have a rather small defensive group even with Z with he and Smith and Sevs (Subban as well, but at least he's thick...though his skating is just shot now). 

God...it's just depressing thinking about our defense lol. 

17 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think the Zadorov trade makes a ton of sense. He's not great, but he's an improvement for sure. 

I'd really, really like to trade Butcher. Just no upside there and we are going to have a rather small defensive group even with Z with he and Smith and Sevs (Subban as well, but at least he's thick...though his skating is just shot now). 

God...it's just depressing thinking about our defense lol. 

If we had an immediate answer for Butcher's void, I'd be open to dealing him but, the reality is, we don't. I'd like to see what he can do in a new system and, if he doesn't fit, try to deal him at the deadline or next offseason when he's an expiring. For now, I think he could survive next to Subban.

4 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

If we had an immediate answer for Butcher's void, I'd be open to dealing him but, the reality is, we don't. I'd like to see what he can do in a new system and, if he doesn't fit, try to deal him at the deadline or next offseason when he's an expiring. For now, I think he could survive next to Subban.

Oh, I agree. We aren't going to trade him. That being said, this team is 100% capped to "not  a contender" so long as he is something higher than a third pairing guy lol. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Oh, I agree. We aren't going to trade him. That being said, this team is 100% capped to "not  a contender" so long as he is something higher than a third pairing guy lol. 

Well, that's why I'm rooting for Smith to mesh with Subban LOL

That Zacha's third guy is one of those fans who views other posters as "not a real fan" if they don't have the visceral, emotional reaction to things that he thinks that they should have a reaction to as a fan. You can tell just from the posts. 

There we go...had to move that post LOL

• Like 1

I was waiting for the location thing to come up...I don't know if that's a thing or not. But I don't know...I mean, I lived in Jersey for a hot minute (though  mostly in Philly), then moved to Ohio and obviously grew up an OSU fan, and I don't hate Michigan. I don't hate the Dodgers. 

So I really don't know if the location thing plays a part of not. 

• Like 1