Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I'm really interested to see what happens at 7, because I kind of feel like if we don't go defense there, we won't have the option to go defense at 18 and 20. This is already a thin defensive group as is, and I could easily see someone reach for Guhle, Schneider, and maybe even Barron. Someone broke it down on HF, but even in weak defensive years, thre is still typically like 4-5 that go before pick 18. 

BUt then again, given how thin the class is at defense, if we do decide to take a forward at 7 (maybe sanderson and drysdale are gone), maybe this is the draft to punt defense until rounds 3 and 4 and hope you catch lightning as it's not atypical for defenders, particularly middle pairing ones. 

• Like 1

Just now, Forge said:

I'm really interested to see what happens at 7, because I kind of feel like if we don't go defense there, we won't have the option to go defense at 18 and 20. This is already a thin defensive group as is, and I could easily see someone reach for Guhle, Schneider, and maybe even Barron. Someone broke it down on HF, but even in weak defensive years, thre is still typically like 4-5 that go before pick 18. 

BUt then again, given how thin the class is at defense, if we do decide to take a forward at 7 (maybe sanderson and drysdale are gone), maybe this is the draft to punt defense until rounds 3 and 4 and hope you catch lightning as it's not atypical for defenders, particularly middle pairing ones. 

That's exactly what I would do, especially with the crop of forwards that will be available in the top 20. Detroit will likely make or break whether or not a dman is on the board at 7. I 100% believe Ottawa takes Raymond if he's there. If Detroit goes Raymond at #4, then I expect Drysdale and Sanderson to go 5 and 6 unless Lundell and/or Holtz just goes off, pushing one down to 7.

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

That's exactly what I would do, especially with the crop of forwards that will be available in the top 20. Detroit will likely make or break whether or not a dman is on the board at 7. I 100% believe Ottawa takes Raymond if he's there. If Detroit goes Raymond at #4, then I expect Drysdale and Sanderson to go 5 and 6 unless Lundell and/or Holtz just goes off, pushing one down to 7.

So, I'm still hearing Perfetti + Detroit from their fans, but largely due to his personal relationships to people like Osgood. 

I think 100% that Ottawa takes Raymond if there, which will break my heart. 

I would expect Anaheim to go D man or Holtz. Either makes sense tbh. They have no scoring in their ranks. 

Just now, Forge said:

So, I'm still hearing Perfetti + Detroit from their fans, but largely due to his personal relationships to people like Osgood. 

I think 100% that Ottawa takes Raymond if there, which will break my heart. 

I would expect Anaheim to go D man or Holtz. Either makes sense tbh. They have no scoring in their ranks. 

If Detroit takes Perfetti, we're 100% getting a dman at 7. I'm all for it.

5 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

If Detroit takes Perfetti, we're 100% getting a dman at 7. I'm all for it.

I have Rossi rated higher than Sanderson, but I Think that this is an instance where I'd bypass player evaluations and take the defender. I think Sanderson is a little safer. 

But as you know, Raymond is my top choice. He's gone, it's Drysdale. Rossi would be higher than Sanderson, as would Holtz on an eval basis, but for the devils specifically, I think I'd hedge toward taking Holtz and Sanderson over Rossi, as weird as that may sound. 

I know BPA is a think, but it's a fairly thin margin, so I think I'm okay emphasizing skill set and position 

Just now, Forge said:

I have Rossi rated higher than Sanderson, but I Think that this is an instance where I'd bypass player evaluations and take the defender. I think Sanderson is a little safer. 

But as you know, Raymond is my top choice. He's gone, it's Drysdale. Rossi would be higher than Sanderson, as would Holtz on an eval basis, but for the devils specifically, I think I'd hedge toward taking Holtz and Sanderson over Rossi, as weird as that may sound. 

I know BPA is a think, but it's a fairly thin margin, so I think I'm okay emphasizing skill set and position 

Feel ya. You know where I stand on Sanderson.

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Also, I wonder if Ottawa would take Raymond over Stutzle at 3. Wouldn't put it out of the question.

Devils insider did a mock draft with different beat writers from the top 7. The Ottawa beat writer did in fact take Raymond at 3 over Stutzle, I'm pretty sure. 

• Like 1

Just now, Forge said:

Devils insider did a mock draft with different beat writers from the top 7. The Ottawa beat writer did in fact take Raymond at 3 over Stutzle, I'm pretty sure. 

Would not shock me one bit. We're only a month away or so too (October 9th/10th). I'm ready.

22 minutes ago, Forge said:

Well, according to STI, he seems to think Raymond will be there at 7. That's at least what I'm getting from what he's saying. I asked him directly tho so we'll see what his answer is.

18 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Well, according to STI, he seems to think Raymond will be there at 7. That's at least what I'm getting from what he's saying. I asked him directly tho so we'll see what his answer is.

From what I can tell wandering into Ottawas board now and again, the fans love Raymond and he's definitely one of the favorites. Not sure there is any info on who the team actually prefers though