Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

I was fairly underwhelmed with how that went but you can bet your *** I'm going to root for these kids to click. I'm also going to take time away from HF because, it's hilarious how they respond. When you have a differing opinion from the flawless experts, you apparently haven't watched these kids. I flat out came out and said, in my rankings, that the production and shot were great for Holtz, but there's more to it than just that. He didn't wow me anywhere else. He's not a playmaker. He doesn't drive play at all. He's not the greatest skater (not bad, not great) and he's just an underwhelming selection at 7. People always say "don't draft for need" but when you come out against the pick, that's the first thing they fall back on. It's just a toxic friggin' place to post. Everyone knows everything and there's no positive discussion.

Sure, there's value to a 30 goal scorer with an elite shot but it's also okay to want others in that range. I'd prefer an all around player there and then take the goal scorers later. I mean, they are all trying to compare him to Laine but, yet, Winnipeg is trying to trade Laine. What gives?

I'll live and I'll hope that Castron got it all right but I'm 1000% allowed to have my opinions on things. I spent a **** ton of time watching these guys but keyboard warriors that piggyback off others and take what others say try to slam you for having a different opinion. If Holtz has a single bad shooting year, he's not chipping in 50 points. It's that simple. We potentially took someone that'll have Palmieri like production at #7. You're allowed to be underwhelmed by that.

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Thinking about Mukhamadullin's profile, I'm 100% sure that we wanted Kaiden Guhle. They are almost identical in style.

Another reason I have no interest in Mukhamadullin. We are literally so stacked on the left side with these guys. 

Vukojevic, Bahl, Misyul, Mukhamadullin, Okhotyuk. 

They are all very similar....though Muk probably has the best shot by a good margin. 

But it is weird to have wanted Schneider than flipped to Muk. Would have made more sense to draft Barron at that juncture. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

I wouldn't bank on it, but in truth it's not theoretically impossible. And I'm super high on Clarke

Not banking on it at all. I just think Clarke might fit better with Nico than Holtz would. My feeling is, we're expecting Hughes to take off as our #1 C by the time Holtz is ready and then they'll be 2/3 of our top line. Then it becomes who plays with Nico? I don't think Mercer fits and I think he ends up as our 3rd line C after Zajac retires. So, based on what we have right now...

Foote-Hughes-Holtz
Bratt-Hischier-Clarke
???-Mercer-???

Edited by beekay414

I mean, if our plan at 18 was to take a 3rd line C, I'm glad it was Mercer and not Zary, at least. I'm fine with the Mercer pick. It's the other two that I'm going to have to come around on. I've calmed a bit and moved onto the acceptance stage but I'm still not thrilled. We better nail day 2 tbh.

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

Another reason I have no interest in Mukhamadullin. We are literally so stacked on the left side with these guys. 

Vukojevic, Bahl, Misyul, Mukhamadullin, Okhotyuk. 

They are all very similar....though Muk probably has the best shot by a good margin. 

But it is weird to have wanted Schneider than flipped to Muk. Would have made more sense to draft Barron at that juncture. 

Well, we've been desperate for LHD so we might be overcompensating at this point. We may be planning on our RHD being the offensive dmen with the left side being the defensive anchors. That's the only thing I can take from how we've drafted lately, especially if we plan on Smith eventually playing on the right.

Bahl-Smith
Mukhamadullin-Severson
Misyul-Walsh

With Vuko and Okhotyuk being further darts at the board.

EDIT - Actually, with Misyul extending in Russia, you'd think Okhotyuk would get that shot first. So...

Bahl-Smith
Mukhamadullin-Severson
Okhotyuk-Walsh

Edited by beekay414

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Not banking on it at all. I just think Clarke might fit better with Nico than Holtz would. My feeling is, we're expecting Hughes to take off as our #1 C by the time Holtz is ready and then they'll be 2/3 of our top line. Then it becomes who plays with Nico? I don't think Mercer fits and I think he ends up as our 3rd line C after Zajac retires. So, based on what we have right now...

Foote-Hughes-Holtz
Bratt-Hischier-Clarke
???-Mercer-???

I really want a grinder with Hughes. We need someone who can rub guys out on the boards and go get loose pucks. Not sure that is Foote. Maybe that is a guy we get in FA 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

I really want a grinder with Hughes. We need someone who can rub guys out on the boards and go get loose pucks. Not sure that is Foote. Maybe that is a guy we get in FA 

So???

???-Hughes-Holtz
Bratt-Hischier-Clarke
Foote-Mercer-???

Or maybe they feel that Mercer can play the left side and be that grinder type? I have no clue lol. This draft has my head spinning.

EDIT - And I'm slotting Clarke in with Bratt-Hischier because they need a shooter on that line. I guess you could feasibly play Bratt on the right and slot Foote with them instead.

Edited by beekay414