Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

TBH with you, I'm glad the guy we landed was Bahl. I much prefer him to Timmons. I think the 2020 1st from Arizona will land us another defensemen as there should be quite a few to select in that range (late lottery to end of 1st). Would also consider trading that pick for 2 of Ottawa's 2nds and go depth if the impact guy isn't there with that pick. 

I'm just ready to be done with 2019-2020 and move on to the off-season and re-tooling under a new staff. This off-season is going to be extremely integral. I love our depth in the minors right now and think we've got quite a few guys that have a chance at hitting but I'll always be one for more shots at it. Depth is huge. We do need impact talent but we gotta hope that Hughes, Hischier and our soon-to-be Top 5-6 pick can be those guys. We need to start building a complete team and not just adding talent and trying to fit it in, like we've been doing. 

If know we are hurting on defense but I don't see how Vatanen fits going forward so you need to cash in on him and gain more futures. The only way I'm good with bringing him back is if he doesn't want crazy term or AAV. Hell, trade him and then bring him back, I don't care lol. I just want futures at this point. We took our chance at building around Hall and it didn't work out. Now replenish/keep adding to the system and let's aim to get it right during Hischier's and Hughes's next 7-10 years.

11 hours ago, beekay414 said:

TBH with you, I'm glad the guy we landed was Bahl. I much prefer him to Timmons. I think the 2020 1st from Arizona will land us another defensemen as there should be quite a few to select in that range (late lottery to end of 1st). Would also consider trading that pick for 2 of Ottawa's 2nds and go depth if the impact guy isn't there with that pick. 

I'm just ready to be done with 2019-2020 and move on to the off-season and re-tooling under a new staff. This off-season is going to be extremely integral. I love our depth in the minors right now and think we've got quite a few guys that have a chance at hitting but I'll always be one for more shots at it. Depth is huge. We do need impact talent but we gotta hope that Hughes, Hischier and our soon-to-be Top 5-6 pick can be those guys. We need to start building a complete team and not just adding talent and trying to fit it in, like we've been doing. 

If know we are hurting on defense but I don't see how Vatanen fits going forward so you need to cash in on him and gain more futures. The only way I'm good with bringing him back is if he doesn't want crazy term or AAV. Hell, trade him and then bring him back, I don't care lol. I just want futures at this point. We took our chance at building around Hall and it didn't work out. Now replenish/keep adding to the system and let's aim to get it right during Hischier's and Hughes's next 7-10 years.

Bingo definitely worries me. I don't think that guys are progressing down there and no matter what we do, that team is just consistently awful. There's no way that we would can that staff as well, but tbh, it probably needs to be done. Thankfully, we have a lot of prospects currently playing elsewhere, so hopefully they stand a chance. 

Not sure what is giong to happen with Vats. I know Shero said that he would sit down with him to find out what he wants to do first. I'm guessing that he is looking at 5.5 AAV would be my guess, so an okay raise from what he makes now. 

We also need some goal scorers. We keep getting these playmaker types and then we have nobody that will actually put the puck in the net. Given how poorly the fit has been in Pitt, I think Galchenyuk could have a pretty soft market this upcoming free agency. We may be able to get him on a similar deal that we gave Simmonds or similar to the one that Buffalo gave Marjo, so I'd definitely look into that. 

41 minutes ago, Forge said:

We also need some goal scorers. We keep getting these playmaker types and then we have nobody that will actually put the puck in the net. Given how poorly the fit has been in Pitt, I think Galchenyuk could have a pretty soft market this upcoming free agency. We may be able to get him on a similar deal that we gave Simmonds or similar to the one that Buffalo gave Marjo, so I'd definitely look into that. 

I'd be okay with Galchenyuk. Not a lot of goal scorers in UFA this year. Hoffman is the big one but he's 30 and doesn't fit the timeline. We'd need to trade for a younger goal scorer or simply wait for a guy to emerge out of Clarke, Pasic, Gritsyuk or Thompson. 

24 minutes ago, Forge said:

Tonight marked the first time a defensemen other than vats got a power play point. That is incredible given how late into the season we are

Not able to watch. Are we playing better sans Hall now? I'll laugh if we go on a run and Arizona falls off a cliff lol. 

9 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Not able to watch. Are we playing better sans Hall now? I'll laugh if we go on a run and Arizona falls off a cliff lol. 

Definitely playing better. We aren't good, we just don't have the talent for that.

However, there's not as many break downs ( though the goal we have to tonight was a terrible breakdown), Mac is playing well, and the effort is there. It's nice to see. Still getting caved in a bit. Only 20 shots on goal tonight. PP is the same. 

Even more promising is Michael McLeod apparently looking like a regular NHLer. I'm fine with him becoming a top notch 4th line C or a legitimate 3rd liner. We need any contribution we can get from him going forward. Think he just needs a consistent chance. The **** that Hynes pulled with the young guys did nothing to help them develop. How can you expect them to play loose and confident when you yank them at a moments notice and then healthy scratch them for a week? It's no wonder Boqvist, Bratt and McLeod all look way better under Nas than they ever did under Hynes. 

Also, the best thing for Nico was trading Hall. He hitched himself to appeasing Taylor while they were on the ice and I think the best version we've seen in his 2+ years is the one last year without Taylor. 

I dunno. I see a lot of promising stuff and I don't think we're doomed to be a bottom dweller past this season. We're literally a HC and a few tweaks on the blue line away from being a playoff bubble team. We have needs, no doubt, but I think they aren't incredibly glaring going forward like they were a few seasons ago. I think Shero's done enough in the pipeline to address the blue line and we'll have 2 more shots this year in the 1st to add to it. We are missing a top pairing LHD but we have hope that Smith or Bahl can handle that down the line. I think we'll be fine even if we never find a true #1 LHD. I think Bahl can be the grinder/minutes eater that we've missed since Father Time caught up to Andy Greene. I can get down with a future blue line group, even without Subban in 2 years, that looks like this (assuming we extend Vatanen)...

Smith-Vatanen
Bahl-Severson
Okhutyuk/Misyul-Walsh

The blue line doesn't look as barren as it once did. That group may not have a bonafide #1 on either side but it's a blue line full of top 4 dmen. Okhutyuk/Misyul would pair perfectly with Walsh as the defensive/offensive split on the 3rd pair. We've already mentioned how perfect Bahl would be for Severson and we know that Vats is our best defensemen by a long shot so pairing him with Smith as the top pair makes total sense. This is assuming Vatanen re-signs for 5 or so years as this projection is likely to be for the 2021-2022 season. Until then, we'll need a stop gap LHD or two. Looking at this class, there's a few guys that might be okay on a 2 year deal if they'd take it. Someone like Joel Edmundson maybe (overpay for 2 years as to avoid term). Don't think we'll go after Brendan Dillon. I'd be open to bringing Jon Merrill back. We really can't be picky on the left side lol. That's without mentioning the pipe dreams like Muzzin, Nurse or Sergachev.

I don't think we're as bad off as a lot of doom and gloomers over on HF think. I think we're much closer to being good than we've shown. 

Edited by beekay414