Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

2 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Can we trade that bum already? He's progressively gotten worse. That was just the cherry on top. 

The sad part is, he's not even a priority fix on the defense. I mean, we need to replace the entire left side plus likely the third pairing righty lol. 

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

God, I really hope Smith, Bahl, Okhotyuk/Misyul, Walsh and Drysdale (;)) work out.

I'll be curious to what spot we are willing to take Drysdale at. I can't imagine that if we are picking top 2 that he's our choice. I just don't think you can pass on Byfield or  Lafreniere. But does he become an option at 3? There was a lot of talk before we draft Nico that Shero really, really liked Makar and was considering him at number one overall. Corey Pronman even thought we were going to take him first overall the night before the draft. Shero was following him hard core during that time. So I wonder if we are picking three if Shero would pull the trigger on him there. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'll be curious to what spot we are willing to take Drysdale at. I can't imagine that if we are picking top 2 that he's our choice. I just don't think you can pass on Byfield or  Lafreniere. But does he become an option at 3? There was a lot of talk before we draft Nico that Shero really, really liked Makar and was considering him at number one overall. Corey Pronman even thought we were going to take him first overall the night before the draft. Shero was following him hard core during that time. So I wonder if we are picking three if Shero would pull the trigger on him there. 

If Byfield wasn't taking that next step in his development, I'd be willing to bet Drysdale was #2 on our boards but, with Byfield becoming a 2 PPG player in his draft year, he's clearly #2 behind Lafreniere. If we did go Byfield at #2, I'd almost want to move Hughes to wing and let him not worry about the dot. I know we didn't want to be in this position again but, alas, here we are with the speculation lol. Won't matter though, even without Mr. Lottery Balls, we're getting Lafreniere. Just watch.

31 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

If Byfield wasn't taking that next step in his development, I'd be willing to bet Drysdale was #2 on our boards but, with Byfield becoming a 2 PPG player in his draft year, he's clearly #2 behind Lafreniere. If we did go Byfield at #2, I'd almost want to move Hughes to wing and let him not worry about the dot. I know we didn't want to be in this position again but, alas, here we are with the speculation lol. Won't matter though, even without Mr. Lottery Balls, we're getting Lafreniere. Just watch.

Honestly, I'm not even positive that Byfield won't overtake Lafreniere by the end of this. Plays center, big bodied (though Lafreniere is a good size as well), but he's also one of the younger prospects in this draft and nearly a full year younger than Lafreniere. That's crazy. Plus, he doesn't play in the Q like Lafreniere. Which, okay, may be a personal thing for me lol

Also, I have to say that I think it's kind of crazy that the WHL basically has no top prospects in this draft. I mean, thats insane. I do really like Braden Schneider, though he is an old prospect  (he missed the cut off for last year by 5 days), but it seriously wouldn't be all that shocking if he were the only WHL prospect that went in the first two rounds of the draft next year. 

18 minutes ago, Forge said:

Honestly, I'm not even positive that Byfield won't overtake Lafreniere by the end of this. Plays center, big bodied (though Lafreniere is a good size as well), but he's also one of the younger prospects in this draft and nearly a full year younger than Lafreniere. That's crazy. Plus, he doesn't play in the Q like Lafreniere. Which, okay, may be a personal thing for me lol

I mean, he might get the C bump but I don't see him overtaking Lafreniere. Don't think this is a Nico vs Patrick scenario. Byfield has been great but Lafreniere has been absolutely stellar as well. Just depends on what you want, I guess.

Lafreniere: 32 games, 70 points (23 G, 47 A)
Byfield: 30 games, 57 points (22 G, 35 A)

Just for reference.

13 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I mean, he might get the C bump but I don't see him overtaking Lafreniere. Don't think this is a Nico vs Patrick scenario. Byfield has been great but Lafreniere has been absolutely stellar as well. Just depends on what you want, I guess.

Lafreniere: 32 games, 70 points (23 G, 47 A)
Byfield: 30 games, 57 points (22 G, 35 A)

Just for reference.

He did just score the game winning goal against the US in the WJC as well (Lafreniere, I mean), so that certainly adds a feather in his cap. He looked awesome in the opener. Oh, and he still does stuff like this

I am with you though. If we get Byfield, I'm actually moving Hughes to wing. I know a lot of the guys on HF go apoplectic at the thought of it, but I don't think that you have to keep Hughes as a center. Like, its not a requirement or something. I think a line of him and Byfield with Byfield anchoring the middle makes a crap ton of sense. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I am with you though. If we get Byfield, I'm actually moving Hughes to wing. I know a lot of the guys on HF go apoplectic at the thought of it, but I don't think that you have to keep Hughes as a center. Like, its not a requirement or something. I think a line of him and Byfield with Byfield anchoring the middle makes a crap ton of sense.

Yeah, there's nothing that says Jack needs to stay on the dot. If we move him to wing, his size means a lot less, especially if it's with a guy like Byfield as his C. Hell, even if we went out and acquired a 2nd line C with size, there's no reason we couldn't move Jack to the wing anyways. Hell, I'd even consider giving Boqvist a chance. I don't care what position Hughes plays, I just want him at his best. That's really all that matters.

• Like 1