Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

It would help him if there was any type of structure but we got him freelancing out there with no cohesion between whichever linemates he has. This system and the talent we've put with him have done him no favors whatsoever. 

He needs to be at the wing for now too. He's just getting caved at center

I think it might be for the best to move him to wing permanently. 

Definitely possible. If we end up with Byfield, I don't even hesitate to put him on Byfield's wing. Unfortunately, right now, we simply don't have a worthy guy to center his line besides Nico, and I'd probably keep Nico's line as it is because he, Bratt and Palms work very well together (actually its Bratt and Nico that work together, so I'd probably be okay putting palms on Hughes opposite wing and then having someone else step into Palms' role on the first line, but that still leaves us without a center). 

Its a fairly disappointing season from Jack, even when removing the clustermess that is the rest of the roster. And honestly, watching him right now is almost painful. He just looks checked out and like he's in full blown teenage angst mode. Sometimes I watch him and I'm not even sure that he's trying. And I can't even blame him given the disaster that this season has been. 

Just now, Forge said:

Definitely possible. If we end up with Byfield, I don't even hesitate to put him on Byfield's wing. Unfortunately, right now, we simply don't have a worthy guy to center his line besides Nico, and I'd probably keep Nico's line as it is because he, Bratt and Palms work very well together (actually its Bratt and Nico that work together, so I'd probably be okay putting palms on Hughes opposite wing and then having someone else step into Palms' role on the first line, but that still leaves us without a center). 

Its a fairly disappointing season from Jack, even when removing the clustermess that is the rest of the roster. And honestly, watching him right now is almost painful. He just looks checked out and like he's in full blown teenage angst mode. Sometimes I watch him and I'm not even sure that he's trying. And I can't even blame him given the disaster that this season has been. 

Yeah, he gets a lot of leeway with how this year's gone. Hopefully we get this front office mess figured out so we can start a proper rebuild with structure and a plan in mind. Hire a coach and build around his strengths tbh. With Shero, at least we knew what to expect. I don't like having no clue how we're going to approach the deadline, draft and offseason. 

7 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Yeah, he gets a lot of leeway with how this year's gone. Hopefully we get this front office mess figured out so we can start a proper rebuild with structure and a plan in mind. Hire a coach and build around his strengths tbh. With Shero, at least we knew what to expect. I don't like having no clue how we're going to approach the deadline, draft and offseason. 

I'm kind of dreading and holding my breath with regards to the trade deadline all at once. Because we could absolutely blow it all up if we wanted on this deadline, or we could move Vats for like a second round pick and have that be everything we do. Given the weirdness of the Shero firing, and the different reports I've heard (clearly Shero and the FO weren't on the same page with regards to the direction of the club, but I've heard it both ways that Shero was looking to go longer term and acquiring assets, and also heard that he was refusing to take calls on guys like Palms and didn't want to go that route at all). 

12 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm kind of dreading and holding my breath with regards to the trade deadline all at once. Because we could absolutely blow it all up if we wanted on this deadline, or we could move Vats for like a second round pick and have that be everything we do. Given the weirdness of the Shero firing, and the different reports I've heard (clearly Shero and the FO weren't on the same page with regards to the direction of the club, but I've heard it both ways that Shero was looking to go longer term and acquiring assets, and also heard that he was refusing to take calls on guys like Palms and didn't want to go that route at all). 

That's the scary part. We have no clue if it was Shero who refused to move Palms/Coleman types or if it's the current regime that wants to cash in and go scorched earth or not. We have to wait 3 more weeks still lol.

Edited by beekay414

That's the scary part. We have no clue if it was Shero who refused to move Palms/Coleman types or if it's the current regime that wants to cash in and go scorched earth or not. We have to wait 3 more weeks still lol.

The trade prediction I heard for Sami was a second rounder to Carolina. Kind of frustrating. Like, if we somehow managed to get a second rounder for Brian freaking Boyle, but can only manage a second rounder for Vats, I'm going to be supremely disappointed. At that point, I kind of just want a team's prospect more than anything. I don't care for second round picks. Give me a somewhat younger dude who is playing okay in the AHL or something. Carolina has one of the better farm systems in the NHL. See if you can get a guy like Kuokkaken who has had two pretty solid ahl seasons, is about to turn 22 years old, etc. Gauthier is another guy I'd be happy to try and grab. 

Just now, Forge said:

The trade prediction I heard for Sami was a second rounder to Carolina. Kind of frustrating. Like, if we somehow managed to get a second rounder for Brian freaking Boyle, but can only manage a second rounder for Vats, I'm going to be supremely disappointed. At that point, I kind of just want a team's prospect more than anything. I don't care for second round picks. Give me a somewhat younger dude who is playing okay in the AHL or something. Carolina has one of the better farm systems in the NHL. See if you can get a guy like Kuokkaken who has had two pretty solid ahl seasons, is about to turn 22 years old, etc. Gauthier is another guy I'd be happy to try and grab. 

I could see us wanting to recoup a 2nd though so it would make sense. But, like you said, I'd want to also get a B/C level prospect back too. Give me a body along with the pick if it's not a 1.

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I could see us wanting to recoup a 2nd though so it would make sense. But, like you said, I'd want to also get a B/C level prospect back too. Give me a body along with the pick if it's not a 1.

absolutely. His deal also had us retaining 30% of the salary...I'm kind of terrified that Fitz is just going to get bamboozled on trade deadline day. If you were an opposing team, wouldn't you be targeting the rookie GM for great deals? I know I would be. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

absolutely. His deal also had us retaining 30% of the salary...I'm kind of terrified that Fitz is just going to get bamboozled on trade deadline day. If you were an opposing team, wouldn't you be targeting the rookie GM for great deals? I know I would be. 

lol the moment we retain money on an expiring not named Simmonds, I want that 1st. There's no reason to retain any money on Vatanen unless it's to up the return. 

Just now, beekay414 said:

lol the moment we retain money on an expiring not named Simmonds, I want that 1st. There's no reason to retain any money on Vatanen unless it's to up the return. 

Agreed, and the problem is, you can only retain on so many deals. I think the max is three total? So, if we happen to trade PK, you know that retention has to be made there. We could easily need to retain on Simmonds just to get a 4th or 5th rounder. If Green or Zajac happens to waive, same thing. We've already retained on Hall, so that is one. Somebody that wants Vats will be able to find the money without needing retention. 

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

Agreed, and the problem is, you can only retain on so many deals. I think the max is three total? So, if we happen to trade PK, you know that retention has to be made there. We could easily need to retain on Simmonds just to get a 4th or 5th rounder. If Green or Zajac happens to waive, same thing. We've already retained on Hall, so that is one. Somebody that wants Vats will be able to find the money without needing retention. 

PK is more of an off-season trade candidate when teams have cap room. Still, obviously we'd have to retain there but it wouldn't hinder us from retaining on expirings this deadline. We could feasibly retain on Simmonds and Vatanen and then we'd be right back at the ability to retain 3 more this off-season because Hall, Vats and Simmonds would be off the books for both teams.

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

PK is more of an off-season trade candidate when teams have cap room. Still, obviously we'd have to retain there but it wouldn't hinder us from retaining on expirings this deadline. We could feasibly retain on Simmonds and Vatanen and then we'd be right back at the ability to retain 3 more this off-season because Hall, Vats and Simmonds would be off the books for both teams.

Yeah, it'll depend on how many moves that we are looking to make. We really do have good trade pieces if we want to blow it up...I'm really curious to see where we go