Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

37 minutes ago, Forge said:

People are stupid. 

They can't even afford Barzal right now. They are going to have to shed salary. Unless they can get Barzal to swallow a real sweetheart bridge deal, he's going to eat up basically their entire cap. And that's with Pulock being an RFA as well, one of the reasons I want to push hard after him (even though he's a righty). 

They are basically going to dump Leddy for a song to someone. Hell, could be us, though I don't love it. He's a competent d-man, 5.5 for 2 more years and is going to be 30. But he's going to cost like a 6th round pick just because they need the money. I don't even think that they can stash Ladd on LTIR. 

****, I'd take Leddy for sure 

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

****, I'd take Leddy for sure 

It makes the team better immediately, but obviously doesn't solve anything long term (we shouldn't be re-signing him at age 32), and it's not enough on it's own to get us to a higher place. But we could desperately use him. Given the cost, you could never hate the move, that's for sure. 

I'm starting to wonder if we buy out Cory...I'm thinking we may not. If we don't, we don't really have as much money as people think. 

Right now, we have about 55 million tied up. I'd say Bratt / Mac  extensions + Mueller + Hayden rfa deals (prepare for that now, I'm sure we are signing them for some reason) + Joey Anderson, I'd guess that's about 10 million. Then you have Merkley and Seney, Colton White and a couple others,  but I'm going to assume that they are on two way deals. Assume Merkly makes the team and that's about another million or so. 

So I'd wager that puts us at 15? My guess is that we don't spend to the cap. We didn't last year when we had similar cap space, so I'd wager on a flat 81 cap, we probably spend something closer to 77?  So maybe that puts us about 11? Leddy eats half of that. Not sure what other moves we would tie into it. That's why I've been bigger on taking single year cap dumps with prospects / picks because if we take guys like Leddy (or Killorn, though he has an extra year on the deal), I just don't know how much else we add in a single off season. Sign Dillon and a cheap FA and we are pretty much done. That team is better, of course, but better in the way that we finish with the 9th or 10th worst record as opposed to the 6/7th and it doesn't particularly help anything long term. 

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

It makes the team better immediately, but obviously doesn't solve anything long term (we shouldn't be re-signing him at age 32), and it's not enough on it's own to get us to a higher place. But we could desperately use him. Given the cost, you could never hate the move, that's for sure. 

I'm starting to wonder if we buy out Cory...I'm thinking we may not. If we don't, we don't really have as much money as people think. 

Right now, we have about 55 million tied up. I'd say Bratt / Mac  extensions + Mueller + Hayden rfa deals (prepare for that now, I'm sure we are signing them for some reason) + Joey Anderson, I'd guess that's about 10 million. Then you have Merkley and Seney, Colton White and a couple others,  but I'm going to assume that they are on two way deals. Assume Merkly makes the team and that's about another million or so. 

So I'd wager that puts us at 15? My guess is that we don't spend to the cap. We didn't last year when we had similar cap space, so I'd wager on a flat 81 cap, we probably spend something closer to 77?  So maybe that puts us about 11? Leddy eats half of that. Not sure what other moves we would tie into it. That's why I've been bigger on taking single year cap dumps with prospects / picks because if we take guys like Leddy (or Killorn, though he has an extra year on the deal), I just don't know how much else we add in a single off season. Sign Dillon and a cheap FA and we are pretty much done. That team is better, of course, but better in the way that we finish with the 9th or 10th worst record as opposed to the 6/7th and it doesn't particularly help anything long term. 

Yeah I'm not sure what the plan is until we see it in action. There is no quick fix but I think with better coaching and a better blue line, we can be a bubble team. Leddy definitely helps get us there. 

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Yeah I'm not sure what the plan is until we see it in action. There is no quick fix but I think with better coaching and a better blue line, we can be a bubble team. Leddy definitely helps get us there. 

Agreed. It's a really, really weird spot in this rebuild so I have no idea what we are thinking. I could see it go either way. 

• Like 1

It's funny listening to people push back on that stance. Like, I don't care if you want to keep the pick, I get it... But being concerned about a prospect maybe getting here a year later when a window to being a contender isn't even open is just too much lol. 

9 hours ago, Forge said:

So yeah, I'm rooting against Vancouver now. I want that pick pushed to next season. If Chicago, Montreal, and Arizona so win, the earliest that pick is would be like 20

I want em all this year. I just love this class too much, man. 

14 minutes ago, Forge said:

At 20 and over, I think this draft is pretty thinned out just like any other draft. I'd rather gamble that they struggle. 

Not me haha

I think I have like 26 guys with 1st round grades so I'm more than fine picking there. Don't quote me on that tho, I'd have to look again. 

I'm just a draft junkie and I love this draft so give me all the picks. 

Just now, beekay414 said:

Not me haha

I think I have like 26 guys with 1st round grades so I'm more than fine picking there. Don't quote me on that tho, I'd have to look again. 

I'm just a draft junkie and I love this draft so give me all the picks. 

I totally get that. There are certainly guys that I'd be happy with drafting at that spot if we make that pick, and I wouldn't be angry about getting it or anything. I just don't value it a ton with regards to gambling it away for a lateral or worse pick the following year. Not sure which way I would go with it draft wise...I suppose it depends on what we did in the earlier picks unless someone I positively loved fell there and he was just flat out bpa 

11 minutes ago, Forge said:

I totally get that. There are certainly guys that I'd be happy with drafting at that spot if we make that pick, and I wouldn't be angry about getting it or anything. I just don't value it a ton with regards to gambling it away for a lateral or worse pick the following year. Not sure which way I would go with it draft wise...I suppose it depends on what we did in the earlier picks unless someone I positively loved fell there and he was just flat out bpa 

Yeah, I just think there's going to be some top 6 forward talent still on the board there or a damn fine 2nd pairing d-man so I'm okay keeping it this year. I just love this draft lol.

Masisak ranked our top 30 prospects for The Athletic in no specific order (ranked in tiers)

Tier 1
Ty Smith, D

Tier 1.5
Nolan Foote, F

Tier 2
Kevin Bahl, D
Janne Kuokkanen, F
Tyce Thompson, F
Reilly Walsh, D

Tier 3
Graeme Clarke, F
Nick Merkley, F
Daniil Misyul, D
Nikita Okhotyuk, D
Gilles Senn, G
Aarne Talvitie, F

Tier 4
Nathan Bastian, F
Patrick Moynihan, F
Akira Schmid, G
Marian Studenic, F
Michael Vukojevic, D
Fabian Zetterlund, F

Tier 5
Cole Brady, G
Arseny Gritsyuk, F
Mikhail Maltsev, F
Case McCarthy, D
Nikola Pasic, F
Colton White, D

Tier 6
Evan Cormier, G
Brandon Gignac, F
Josh Jacobs, D
Eetu Pakkila, F
Nate Schnarr, F
Yegor Sharangovich, F

Edited by beekay414

My changes would probably be...

Misyul to tier 2 - He's better than Walsh, flat out.
Clarke to tier 2 - This has more to do with his fit with Jack than anything. He could be a 30 goal scorer on Jack's wing.
Walsh to tier 3 - He's good but I don't think he groups with the tier 2 guys. I have him on even ground with Okhotyuk despite being different types of dmen.
McCarthy to tier 4 - He belongs in a similar tier as Vukojevic as both have 3rd line dman upside IMO. Vuko is probably better offensively but they are pretty even in my eyes.
Pasic to tier 4 - I may be bullish on him but I think he's definitely on par with Studenic and Zetterlund.

Edited by beekay414