Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

3 hours ago, beekay414 said:

This draft is crazy loaded, man. You got guys like Caufield and Kaliyev that are going to go in the teens that could be PPG players or better. Kaliyev is an insane offensive player.

Any chance three seconds get us back into the mid first?

Just now, Forge said:

Any chance three seconds get us back into the mid first?

Doubt it. I could see something like a player and 2 or 3 2nds though. I'd dangle Coleman or Wood along with the 2nds all day to get back into Caufield or Kaliyev range. Hell, I'd probably dangle Severson with 1 of the 2nds for a mid 1st and a lesser Dman.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Doubt it. I could see something like a player and 2 or 3 2nds though. I'd dangle Coleman or Wood along with the 2nds all day to get back into Caufield or Kaliyev range. Hell, I'd probably dangle Severson with 1 of the 2nds for a mid 1st and a lesser Dman.

I'd definitely put wood out there.

Perhaps I'm filling myself, but I continue to hope and pray Severson had legit trade value

On 3/15/2019 at 11:11 PM, beekay414 said:

If we want Byram (and we don't pick top 2), we need to hope Detroit lands in the top 2 and we stay ahead of Vancouver. There is a 0.00000000000001% chance that Vancouver DOESN'T pick him. He's in their back yard and is a massive need. 

If we struggle this badly just to land someone like Alex Turcotte or Trevor Zegras, I'll be a bit peeved. I know they say that if you pick in the top 7, you're going to get one hell of a player but I want a franchise changer and I think Hughes, Kakko and Byram are that. Cozens is a stud too. We're risking falling out of that range. I also don't want Podkolzin due to the whole issue of him being hesitant coming over. 

Yeah, I've stated before that I don't want Podkolzin. I'm actually cold on Turcotte as well. Not sure about Zegras, and I'm not sure about the love affair that some people have with Krebs? Maybe I"m just missing something there. Byram / Kakko / Hughes or bust for me. The good news is, we are going to have a really tough time falling out of the bottom 4 when it comes to records. We are 6 points behind Anaheim, who's next up, and while we do have a game in hand, I have a hard time seeing us out point anyone by 6 with only 9-10 left to go. That being said, we are 3 ahead of detroit - they have a game in hand there, so definitely not impossible that we can slip behind them back into the bottom three (fun note, LA, with the second worst record in the league, has not yet been officially eliminated from playoff contention). 

Also, the steal of the 2018 NHL Draft, Ty Smith, finished his season with 69 points (7 goals, 52 assists) in 57 games. Kid is going to be soooooooooo good. He should've been a top 10 pick. I pounded the table for the kid the entire draft process and about died when he fell to 17. 

• Like 1

On 3/18/2019 at 11:35 PM, beekay414 said:

Someone on the Hockey's Future Devils forum made a good point that, if we got Kakko, we could play this top 6...

Hall-Zacha-Kakko
Bratt-Nico-Palmieri

It optimizes the skillsets of each player and boosts Zacha's value IMO.

It seems great...but I'll be honest, kind of terrified to give Zacha C1/C2 role again to start off the season lol. 

On 3/18/2019 at 11:47 PM, beekay414 said:

If we get Byram, our defenseman group goes from a weakness to a strength. Especially if Davies and Walsh hit. 

I think we have to sign Davies at the end of this year, don't we? Otherwise he goes the college FA route?