Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

Also, Marjo has been a considerable disappointment when on the ice. I'm not going to hold the injuries against him, but he's really not done much of anything  when he's actually played. Maybe he has been held back by less than quality linemates (Zacha has given nothing offensively for his entire career), but yeah, at this point, I don't know that we are going to really consider resigning him this off season. I loved the trade when we made it, but something isn't quite matching up here. 

32 minutes ago, Forge said:

Also, Marjo has been a considerable disappointment when on the ice. I'm not going to hold the injuries against him, but he's really not done much of anything  when he's actually played. Maybe he has been held back by less than quality linemates (Zacha has given nothing offensively for his entire career), but yeah, at this point, I don't know that we are going to really consider resigning him this off season. I loved the trade when we made it, but something isn't quite matching up here. 

Yeah, we may bring him back simply because we have limited options to replace him but I guess it depends on what Joey Anderson shows this year. We have Bratt and Palms for the right side but after that it's a total bunch of nothing. Hell, even Bratt is a question mark due to his out of the norm rookie season. I think we're going to regress hella hard without Hall going Super Saiyan every night. We really lack talent right now. It's gonna be a bit til we get it too. It's all unproven or in the system still. 

We legitimately have a bonafide shot at Jack Hughes. Only the Kings, Wings and Panthers have less points than us and we started as the last undefeated team in hockey. I'm okay with having a terrible year if it means we end up with Hughes. However, with Kaapo Kakko arguably being the 2nd best player in this class, the margin for error is small as hell. None of Kakko, Cozens, Dach or Podkolzin is worth a miserable year after how fun last year was. It's Hughes or bust.

Edited by beekay414

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

We legitimately have a bonafide shot at Jack Hughes. Only the Kings, Wings and Panthers have less points than us and we started as the last undefeated team in hockey. I'm okay with having a terrible year if it means we end up with Hughes. However, with Kaapo Kakko arguably being the 2nd best player in this class, the margin for error is small as hell. None of Kakko, Cozens, Dach or Podkolzin is worth a miserable year after how fun last year was. It's Hughes or bust.

Yeah, this had gotten ugly fast. Really wish we weren't weighed down by Corys salary too. Zajac is actually nearly pulling his weight for his cap hit at least.

The youngsters have left a lot to be desired. Granted, limited sample, but qville was pretty awful during his stint. I'm seeing Anderson far more bad than good. Seney is flying around, but not actually doing anything. None of them had given any hunt of offensive credibility at this point. Zacha had the big ofer. Nico still looks promising. Really like his two way game. Needs to be a better threat creations his own goal scoring chances, and really improve his faceoffs, but he hasn't regressed, so that's good. 

Honestly, even prospects at the lower level have been meh.

Think this is going to be a very long season. I can deal with that if they are entertaining, but this isn't the same team as last year. They aren't flying around and pushing the action. They are standing around watching, or chasing, or mishandling the puck. Really weird. 

I do like Kakko, but you're right, Hughes would be worth suffering for. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, flyers0909 said:

You guys think Hynes will last?  I know Q has his downsides but I was hoping we'd suck a little bit to get him so we'd have a real coach.  We're on a terribly timed winning streak so no way Hakstol gets fired, Q with you guys would suck. 

Hard to say. Don't see him getting fired unless we continue to be absolutely brutal. Also, I think Q would rather coach in LA than with the Devils. I'd be more than down for Q tho. Been a long while since we've had a legit coach.

20 hours ago, flyers0909 said:

You guys think Hynes will last?  I know Q has his downsides but I was hoping we'd suck a little bit to get him so we'd have a real coach.  We're on a terribly timed winning streak so no way Hakstol gets fired, Q with you guys would suck. 

I don't think that he has anything to overly be worried about at this point. I think Shero probably has to know that the actual roster isn't all that great. Last year we were thoroughly carried via a herculean effort by one player. That's not a sustainable formula for success. The young guys haven't played well when called upon, and I'm not even sure that's on Hynes since they are getting limited sample sizes up top and just don't appear to be good enough (so I'd say that's a lack of progression at the lower levels). It's certainly possible that a bottom 5 record this year will kill Hynes after missing the playoffs last year, but it really depends on what Shero thinks of the roster overall. He did absolutely nothing to help the team get better this year despite there being numerous, obvious holes. 

Blake Coleman has played very well this season FWIW. Very John Maddenish type player. High energy, good PK, may have a 20 goal season or two in him at some point, though I think he'll probably top out at that 15-17 range. Probably doesn't have as gifted a shot as Madden did.

Unfortunately, the number of players I can look at on this team and say that they have played "very well" is pretty small. 

I think there does need to be a little bit of legitimate concern that Hall may not be here long term is we play this bad all year. That will be two out of three years that were absolutely miserable while he was here. If we don't have an extension done by the summer / start of the season, I think that it would be foolish not to at least start pondering trade opportunities, yeah? 

Feel like the devils would be better off keeping Zacha up and just treating him for what he is - a bottom 6 defensive center and penalty killer. Maybe he figures the offense out eventually, maybe he doesn't, but I feel it's in the teams best interest to assume that he doesn't but still utilize him in the ways that he is strong.

God, that sucks to have that goal called back. We have had rotten luck with that the last couple of years. I think we lost 2 or 3 last year on offsides reviews, and now we lose this one on a completely stupid penalty away from the play.

Beautiful pass by Butcher and nice finish by Bratt regardless.