Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think we probably won't, but I'm fine with extending him at 4 years max. Hell, I'm fine with extending palms provided it's not an idiotic six year deal. 

Honestly, flat cap and covid could help in that regard. Shorter deals are expected

I know I said I'd offer him 4 years at $6 Million AAV but I might even push that up to $6.5 Million. I think he's a stud but I've always felt that way. I get why people are reserved on him because of the Russian player thing but he showed a lot last year. I think he was arguably our best player last year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

But what do we do if the AHL cancels their season? Are Juniors likely to cancel too and everyone is out on a year of development?

Doubt it with the way Canada has handled the situation. They are in a much better place than the us. 

I suppose it also depends on if there are any changes made to eligibility. Maybe allow for just to go up and down from chl to nhl this year. 

Timing could be an issue... Juniors could start first or something, and if they don't change eligibility. Crazy situation. 

I don't want Bahl up if he's 7th D being scratched every other night

Just now, beekay414 said:

I know I said I'd offer him 4 years at $6 Million AAV but I might even push that up to $6.5 Million. I think he's a stud but I've always felt that way. I get why people are reserved on him because of the Russian player thing but he showed a lot last year. I think he was arguably our best player last year.

My thing is, I think he wants market and wants to break bank. And if he's not extended by the deadline (and I don't expect him to be), it's criminal negligence for us not to trade him. 

I could see palms bring good with an extension. I honestly just don't see goose wanting to make that call this year before hitting the market

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Doubt it with the way Canada has handled the situation. They are in a much better place than the us. 

I suppose it also depends on if there are any changes made to eligibility. Maybe allow for just to go up and down from chl to nhl this year. 

Timing could be an issue... Juniors could start first or something, and if they don't change eligibility. Crazy situation. 

I don't want Bahl up if he's 7th D being scratched every other night

I think they need to pause a year on the ELC's for players signed but in Juniors. It'd be different if there was the option of them developing in the AHL but there's no way to bring them up to the NHL if they are in Juniors. We already wasted a year of Smith's ELC because of that stupid rule.

Just now, Forge said:

My thing is, I think he wants market and wants to break bank. And if he's not extended by the deadline (and I don't expect him to be), it's criminal negligence for us not to trade him. 

I could see palms bring good with an extension. I honestly just don't see goose wanting to make that call this year before hitting the market

What makes you think he wants to break bank? I haven't seen anything that indicates he's out for a money grab. Plus, with the flat cap, I think the $6 to $6.5 Million AAV range is where his ceiling likely is. 

I just remember being bat **** crazy excited when we actually traded for him. It's crazy how we talked Hughes and Gusev into existence with our 250 pages of convo (well less then).

I love that the hockey fans on this site actually come in here to post more than they do the NHL thread lol. We run hockey on this site.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

What makes you think he wants to break bank? I haven't seen anything that indicates he's out for a money grab. Plus, with the flat cap, I think the $6 to $6.5 Million AAV range is where his ceiling likely is. 

Because it's his only chance to do so and the cap in the khl is tiny by comparison. His agent was also very specific in their demand with Vegas on what he wanted, threatening khl return, etc. I don't think they mess around with the market

Because it's his only chance to do so and the cap in the khl is tiny by comparison. His agent was also very specific in their demand with Vegas on what he wanted, threatening khl return, etc. I don't think they mess around with the market

So you don't think a 4 year, $26 Million deal would entice him?

6 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I just remember being bat **** crazy excited when we actually traded for him. It's crazy how we talked Hughes and Gusev into existence with our 250 pages of convo (well less then).

I love that the hockey fans on this site actually come in here to post more than they do the NHL thread lol. We run hockey on this site.

I really do feel like goose's acquisition was created in some sort of crazy vortex of online craziness. It feels like we seriously talked that into existence. 

The two year deal was smart for both at the time, obviously. I'm hoping he's open to resigning within reason

• Like 1

Just now, beekay414 said:

So you don't think a 4 year, $26 Million deal would entice him?

I think it should but it's hard to say. At his age, asking for 7 years isn't unreasonable, and he may want to hit market to see if anyone offers that. 

I honestly just don't feel good about the goose thing at all. Not from his end, and honestly not sure from our end. 

Also, doesnt help that Ruff doesn't have the greatest history and reputation dealing with Russians

I think it should but it's hard to say. At his age, asking for 7 years isn't unreasonable, and he may want to hit market to see if anyone offers that. 

I honestly just don't feel good about the goose thing at all. Not from his end, and honestly not sure from our end. 

Also, doesnt help that Ruff doesn't have the greatest history and reputation dealing with Russians

I get asking for 7 years but there's not a single team that's gonna give it to him. 

**** it, I'd give him 5/30.

• Like 1