Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

Some devils fans are weird. 

Someone posted a trade in main board. Wood / foote / #7 for Nylander / #15

I get not wanting to give up #7, and I get not liking nylander... But the response to the trades were:

"We are rebuilding, why would they trade a top prospect and first round pick". Sorry, but that's just dumb. You're getting pick 15 and a consistent 60 point nhl player back who's 24 years old lol. There's a high likelihood that foote doesn't even become that. If you can't fit that into your rebuild, or believe it hinders your rebuild, I don't know how serious I can take you. Again, don't want to give up the pick or don't like nylander, I get it. But the excuse should not be, "we are rebuilding" lol 

Then another guy legitimately complains about adding skill and losing grit. Seriously, that was a real thing. Imagine letting miles wood be the breaking point of adding a 60 point scorer to a team that has no 60 point scorers and has finished 25th, 26th, 18th, 28th, 30th, 28th, 27th, 28th over the last 8 years. 

Then he doubled down by complaining by adding just nylander, we would be the new leafs. Imagine complaining about being a team that has finished with at least a 90 point pace 4 straight years while including 2 at 100+ when your team has had a top 7 pick 5 times in 8 years.

Do people listen to themselves?

• Like 1

I really don't understand that fan base...I mean, Taylor is straight up crazy sometimes, but he's not wrong in the frustration he can have with those guys. If the player in question isn't part of the hive mind accepted players, everyone is just out and their reasoning is brutal some times

3 hours ago, Forge said:

I really don't understand that fan base...I mean, Taylor is straight up crazy sometimes, but he's not wrong in the frustration he can have with those guys. If the player in question isn't part of the hive mind accepted players, everyone is just out and their reasoning is brutal some times

That's why we post here lol. We can at least be reasonable with each other. There is no hive mind when there's just two of us (and @Canadian Saint the honorary Devil). 

But for the Wood/Foote/#7 for Nylander/#15 deal, you absolutely pull that trigger. Why? Because there's a chance that friggin' Seth Jarvis makes it to #15 anyways. You're still going to land a damn fine player there.

I will add the caveat that I wait and see how the board falls, though. I'm not sure I could pass up Sanderson/Drysdale considering how ******* hard it is to find top pairing caliber dmen.

• Like 2

Have we talked about Carson Soucy here? He seems to be the new flavor of the day. Personally, I'd go after both Soucy and Forbort and whichever agrees to sign with us first, gets that Mirco Mueller spot. Neither is going to save our blue line but they are an upgrade to Mueller and would be nice sidekicks to break Ty Smith in on the 3rd line.

EDIT - Nathan Beaulieu is another potential buy low candidate but he seems more like a #7 dman. Still, could do far worse for a 3rd pairing LHD.

Edited by beekay414

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

Have we talked about Carson Soucy here? He seems to be the new flavor of the day. Personally, I'd go after both Soucy and Forbort and whichever agrees to sign with us first, gets that Mirco Mueller spot. Neither is going to save our blue line but they are an upgrade to Mueller and would be nice sidekicks to break Ty Smith in on the 3rd line.

EDIT - Nathan Beaulieu is another potential buy low candidate but he seems more like a #7 dman. Still, could do far worse for a 3rd pairing LHD.

Yeah, he's definitely the new flavor of the week. I don't quite get it looking at his reference page, but I haven't watched him at all. But the numbers aren't impressive. 

Honestly, I'd grab Boychuk from the Islanders and help them out if we can either unload Cory in the process (they could buy him out to create cap), or have them give us an asset. This year he'd only be 1.25M in real cash, 4 million next year, so his cap hit is mainly fluff and shouldn't impact our internal budget (which is really what I'm paying attention to at this point). Still plays a more physical game and can PK and kill DZS third pairing minutes. I'd certainly rather have Boychuk than Mueller at this point. 

Sadly, we aren't really going to have a problem filling that 3LHD role. There are a lot of options...including Butcher as I'm assuming that he will be sticking around. If we can manage to get guys who are better, having him slotted as a 3LHD isn't bad at all. 

Just now, Forge said:

Yeah, he's definitely the new flavor of the week. I don't quite get it looking at his reference page, but I haven't watched him at all. But the numbers aren't impressive. 

Honestly, I'd grab Boychuk from the Islanders and help them out if we can either unload Cory in the process (they could buy him out to create cap), or have them give us an asset. This year he'd only be 1.25M in real cash, 4 million next year, so his cap hit is mainly fluff and shouldn't impact our internal budget (which is really what I'm paying attention to at this point). Still plays a more physical game and can PK and kill DZS third pairing minutes. I'd certainly rather have Boychuk than Mueller at this point. 

Sadly, we aren't really going to have a problem filling that 3LHD role. There are a lot of options...including Butcher as I'm assuming that he will be sticking around. If we can manage to get guys who are better, having him slotted as a 3LHD isn't bad at all. 

Yeah, there's a lot we can do there. We may be forced to put Smith in a LHD role but, ideally, you bring him along slowly as 3rd pairing RD with a shut down type veteran. I don't want to put too much on him too fast.

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

lol not gonna make it political, obviously, but let's just say I now think a lot less of that glenwo guy. His twitter header has #StopLyingDems in it. Tells me all I need to know about who he is as a person.

And yes, I'm the guy he replied to in the team discussion thread on twitter lol