Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

The Carolina Hurricanes and free-agent center Ryan Dzingelhave agreed on a two-year, $6.75 million contract.

The deal announced Friday by general manager Don Waddell will pay Dzingel $3.25 million this season and $3.5 million in 2020-21

Admittedly somewhat bugged that we didn't get in on this at that cost. 

We must feel confident in the offense at this point. 

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Admittedly somewhat bugged that we didn't get in on this at that cost. 

We must feel confident in the offense at this point. 

I think we expect Boqvist to be a big contributor right away. I think he's going to end up as Zajac's LW with Zacha and Palmieri on Hughes wing. I'm on my phone so spacing is gonna suck but I get the feeling that these are the lines we'll be running. 

Hall-Hischier-Bratt

Zacha-Hughes-Palmieri

Boqvist-Zajac-Simmonds

Wood-Coleman-Hayden/Anderson/Bastian

Or Seney/Rooney as the 4th line C with Coleman on the wing. 

Edited by beekay414

On what we do if we signed Jake Gardiner to a 3 year deal...

HF Poster: And who do you squeeze out of the lineup?
Me: You trade Butcher or Vats
HF Poster: Is Gardiner the kind of player you trade current players to fit in?
Me: When you need someone that can play the top pair on the left side? Absolutely. He gets a bad rap but he's far better than everyone here gives him credit for. If he was on the Devils, he'd be thought of much, much differently. I mean, we blindly defend Miles Wood and Blake Coleman here so I think we can make room for Gardiner in that regard.

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

On what we do if we signed Jake Gardiner to a 3 year deal...

HF Poster: And who do you squeeze out of the lineup?
Me: You trade Butcher or Vats
HF Poster: Is Gardiner the kind of player you trade current players to fit in?
Me: When you need someone that can play the top pair on the left side? Absolutely. He gets a bad rap but he's far better than everyone here gives him credit for. If he was on the Devils, he'd be thought of much, much differently. I mean, we blindly defend Miles Wood and Blake Coleman here so I think we can make room for Gardiner in that regard.

It legit amazes me how homerish that board can be. They seriously treat this roster as though everyone on it is great as though we haven't had the first overall pick twice in the last three years. 

Amazing that it's the same guy too

• Like 1

Just now, Forge said:

It legit amazes me how homerish that board can be. They seriously treat this roster as though everyone on it is great as though we haven't had the first overall pick twice in the last three years. 

Amazing that it's the same guy too

They legitimately don't want to give to get. It's hilarious to me. I got ripped for calling Miles Wood a "nothing" asset and highly replaceable. That dude is hellbent on defending Wood with that stupid 5 on 5 assists crap. Our offense was garbage last year. That stat means absolutely nothing. You think if Nico played with Taylor Hall for more than 33 games, Wood would have more ES assists? 

Also, I messaged a mod there because I had a LOL response to someone blindly defending Wood while ****ting on Anderson and it got removed but I had a post quoted, where I took a dump on Wood, that was replied to with a LOL by a more established poster there and it wasn't removed. I told him I felt it was favoritism because the dude that replied to me is well known and I'm a casual there. He told me they remove stuff like that because it's spam and doesn't add to the discussion and that they miss stuff and there was no favoritism. I said "yeah, sure. I'll believe it when I see it." 

The mod I messaged RESPONDED on the same damn page that the guy replied LOL to me on. That's why I laughed him off. That site really is a cesspool but it's the best place to find Devils information so I'm stuck going there.

Here's something should we sign Gardiner...how about a deal with Vegas? Butcher on a bridge deal or something (2 years/$3 Million) to Vegas for Reilly Smith? Smith makes $5 Million so it would save them $2 Million and gets them closer to getting below the cap. Vegas has Shea Theodore, Brayden McNabb and Jon Merrill at LD but Butcher is DEFINITELY better than Merrill and arguably better than McNabb. Plus, he can captain a PP unit. I think that makes some sense. Even if it takes a pick or two, I'd do it.

Hall-Hischier-Bratt
Smith-Hughes-Palmieri
Boqvist/Zacha-Zajac-Simmonds
Wood-Zacha/Seney-Coleman

Gardiner-Subban
Smith-Vatanen
Greene-Severson

Schneider-Blackwood

That's a god damn playoff team, easily.

Edited by beekay414

2 hours ago, beekay414 said:

They legitimately don't want to give to get. It's hilarious to me. I got ripped for calling Miles Wood a "nothing" asset and highly replaceable. That dude is hellbent on defending Wood with that stupid 5 on 5 assists crap. Our offense was garbage last year. That stat means absolutely nothing. You think if Nico played with Taylor Hall for more than 33 games, Wood would have more ES assists? 

Also, I messaged a mod there because I had a LOL response to someone blindly defending Wood while ****ting on Anderson and it got removed but I had a post quoted, where I took a dump on Wood, that was replied to with a LOL by a more established poster there and it wasn't removed. I told him I felt it was favoritism because the dude that replied to me is well known and I'm a casual there. He told me they remove stuff like that because it's spam and doesn't add to the discussion and that they miss stuff and there was no favoritism. I said "yeah, sure. I'll believe it when I see it." 

The mod I messaged RESPONDED on the same damn page that the guy replied LOL to me on. That's why I laughed him off. That site really is a cesspool but it's the best place to find Devils information so I'm stuck going there.

Yeah, honestly, I just post and run. I'm not into the whole conversation thing there. So far there have been relatively few that I've found to be worthwhile to get into conversations with. STI does seem to have some legit understanding of prospects with the good posts

Just now, Forge said:

Yeah, honestly, I just post and run. I'm not into the whole conversation thing there. So far there have been relatively few that I've found to be worthwhile to get into conversations with. STI does seem to have some legit understanding of prospects with the good posts

STI is amazing and is arguably the only reason why I go to the site.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Here's something should we sign Gardiner...how about a deal with Vegas? Butcher on a bridge deal or something (2 years/$3 Million) to Vegas for Reilly Smith? Smith makes $5 Million so it would save them $2 Million and gets them closer to getting below the cap. Vegas has Shea Theodore, Brayden McNabb and Jon Merrill at LD but Butcher is DEFINITELY better than Merrill and arguably better than McNabb. Plus, he can captain a PP unit. I think that makes some sense. Even if it takes a pick or two, I'd do it.

Hall-Hischier-Bratt
Smith-Hughes-Palmieri
Boqvist/Zacha-Zajac-Simmonds
Wood-Zacha/Seney-Coleman

Gardiner-Subban
Smith-Vatanen
Greene-Severson

Schneider-Blackwood

That's a god damn playoff team, easily.

The only thing that could dampen that would be whatever butcher gets contract wise. I could easily see him get 4+. He's got a case that he should make more than Severson at least, and that would mean that Vegas may not save anything.

But I think the idea is right, and there's all sorts of options out there. Ehlers, hell, maybe Connor or Laine as party if a package. Smith or Gusev. Nylander. But I think a trade should definitely be in a play, especially if we land Gardiner (whom we should definitely Target)

Also, seeing Tyce Thompson play so well next to Hughes in the developmental camp, gave me some excitement in regards to every pick in this class. Tyce may not have been the best pick there but if he develops chemistry with our face of the franchise (sorry Taylor), I'm all for that pick. Plus, the Dman (can't remember how to spell his name so I'm not gonna try) that we took 1st after Hughes, looked a lot more fluid in his movements than his profile suggested. I'm going to go ahead and say that Paul Castron and his staff is a little better at recognizing talent than draft pundits online or on a sports forum.

Just now, Forge said:

The only thing that could dampen that would be whatever butcher gets contract wise. I could easily see him get 4+. He's got a case that he should make more than Severson at least, and that would mean that Vegas may not save anything.

But I think the idea is right, and there's all sorts of options out there. Ehlers, hell, maybe Connor or Laine as party if a package. Smith or Gusev. Nylander. But I think a trade should definitely be in a play, especially if we land Gardiner (whom we should definitely Target)

There is ZERO reason for Butcher to make over $3 Million. He's not getting a better deal than Severson.

Just now, beekay414 said:

Also, seeing Tyce Thompson play so well next to Hughes in the developmental camp, gave me some excitement in regards to every pick in this class. Tyce may not have been the best pick there but if he develops chemistry with our face of the franchise (sorry Taylor), I'm all for that pick. Plus, the Dman (can't remember how to spell his name so I'm not gonna try) that we took 1st after Hughes, looked a lot more fluid in his movements than his profile suggested. I'm going to go ahead and say that Paul Castron and his staff is a little better at recognizing talent than draft pundits online or on a sports forum.

I was listening to DI and they said they same thing about Okhotyuk. Much more fluid and better skater than he thought and it was noticeable in 3 on 3

Just now, beekay414 said:

There is ZERO reason for Butcher to make over $3 Million. He's not getting a better deal than Severson.

If they settle in arb, he won't in my opinion. If they go long term, Severson would be my starting point in contact negotiations if I were his agent