Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

Just now, Forge said:

Probably not JVR if we are signing Carlson. But I like that type of player. I'll be curious to see what Nash gets...he was not good for the majority of this year, but he was playing with the Rangers. When he hooked up with Boston, he was just fine again it seemed like. Maybe it's a pipe dream to think that he gets 4 million per, but that's what I'm hoping for. Stastny would make a great 2c for us, but same problem - I dont' think he's signing on at 4 million a pop. I think you can count Vanek in that group as well. 

My guess though is that we don't sign a big name guy like Carlson. I could see someone like Jack Johnson. Coming off a meh year, seems to want out of Columbus at this point. Scibisa would have to be in play too. But if we don't go with Carlson, my favorite would probably be De Haan on the back end. Then on the front end, someone like Derek Ryan could make some sense as a 3c / 2c type that would alternate with Zacha / Zajac depending on who is struggling. He's solid on faceoffs, okay offensive producer, though nothing super great. He should be very affordable though. Just seems like a New Jersey type of signing. Bozak could be the slightly more expensive, superior option there too. There's always the Yakupov option. Also, I feel that it's almost a requirement that New Jersey sign a guy named Rocco Grimaldi. THe seriously has to play for New Jersey at some point. The team is obligated to make that happen. 

I think de Haan is an option even with Carlson. Either way, if we can land the depth you offered up, I'd be happy with it.

What do you think of my draft big board?

1.) Ty Smith
2.) Jett Woo
3. ) K'Andre Miller

• Like 1

Just now, bkobow05 said:

I think de Haan is an option even with Carlson. Either way, if we can land the depth you offered up, I'd be happy with it.

What do you think of my draft big board?

1.) Ty Smith
2.) Jett Woo
3. ) K'Andre Miller

I like Smith, and I actually love Woo (and not just because of the name), though he's somewhat further down my list. Little surprised you have him over Bouchard. I'm a big Bouchard fan. He'd probably be at the top of my list. Miller is going to be the type of defenseman I've been craving all year long. 

I like Sandin too, though I wish he was bigger. 

I'd probably be more in line of - Bouchard / Smith / Miller / Sandin / Woo. 

Just now, Forge said:

I like Smith, and I actually love Woo (and not just because of the name), though he's somewhat further down my list. Little surprised you have him over Bouchard. I'm a big Bouchard fan. He'd probably be at the top of my list. Miller is going to be the type of defenseman I've been craving all year long. 

I like Sandin too, though I wish he was bigger. 

I'd probably be more in line of - Bouchard / Smith / Miller / Sandin / Woo. 

I think Bouchard is capped. He's a bruiser and he's a RHD. Ty Smith is a LHD and he has the skating ability Shero likes. Miller has unreal upside but he's a longer take so Smith is what I want. Woo matches Shero's skating profile but he's also a RHD. So, naturally, Smith is my top pick. Woo and Miller are probably 2a and 2b while Bouchard is what he is.

1 minute ago, bkobow05 said:

I think Bouchard is capped. He's a bruiser and he's a RHD. Ty Smith is a LHD and he has the skating ability Shero likes. Miller has unreal upside but he's a longer take so Smith is what I want. Woo matches Shero's skating profile but he's also a RHD. So, naturally, Smith is my top pick. Woo and Miller are probably 2a and 2b while Bouchard is what he is.

That could be on Bouchard. Doesn't have any particularly elite traits except maybe his IQ, but I don't think that he's bad at anything, which is nice. Just smart on the ice. He's a guy that will stick around forever in the NHL. I would have no problems with Smith though. I would like to avoid Boqvist. Not a huge fan. Not sure how I feel about Wilde

Just now, bkobow05 said:

Also, 16 pages already. Not bad for two passionate dudes, my friend. Glad to have ya here.

Same here....hilarious that out of the 15 nhl fans on this site, two of them are actually pretty passionate devils fans. What were the odds? This is more conversation than I can drudge up in the SF Giants thread in the baseball forum....

Just now, Forge said:

Same here....hilarious that out of the 15 nhl fans on this site, two of them are actually pretty passionate devils fans. What were the odds? This is more conversation than I can drudge up in the SF Giants thread in the baseball forum....

lol I'm a passionate Devils fan, man. I love this team. I'm glad to have you here. In Ray Shero, We Trust.

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

That could be on Bouchard. Doesn't have any particularly elite traits except maybe his IQ, but I don't think that he's bad at anything, which is nice. Just smart on the ice. He's a guy that will stick around forever in the NHL. I would have no problems with Smith though. I would like to avoid Boqvist. Not a huge fan. Not sure how I feel about Wilde

Bouchard is safe. Boqvist will be gone top 6. Wilde is just that, a wild card. I really feel Ty Smith is that guy. Outside of Dahlin, I think he's the best. He can play in the NHL day one.

Just now, bkobow05 said:

Also, I think Nico's 5 on 5 skills had less to do with Hall and more to do with how good he really is. He's still passive. He's literally Adam Banks to Hall's Charlie Conway.

The passiveness killed me, particularly early on. Kid has a really nice shot when he decides to take it. I thought he got better as the season went on about it, but yeah, I want to see him dig in and take control a little more. 

But he does so many other things better than I actually thought he would, that I'm very pleased with the pick. He's very good at drawing penalties. Has very good stickwork on loose pucks and defensively. He's actually far more responsible in his back checking then I thought he was going to be when we drafted him. 

lol I'm a passionate Devils fan, man. I love this team. I'm glad to have you here. In Ray Shero, We Trust.

I should let it be known that I read this, and instantly nodded my head and repeated "In Ray Shero, We Trust" 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Forge said:

The passiveness killed me, particularly early on. Kid has a really nice shot when he decides to take it. I thought he got better as the season went on about it, but yeah, I want to see him dig in and take control a little more. 

But he does so many other things better than I actually thought he would, that I'm very pleased with the pick. He's very good at drawing penalties. Has very good stickwork on loose pucks and defensively. He's actually far more responsible in his back checking then I thought he was going to be when we drafted him. 

I guarantee you that Nico will win a Selke some day. He's that good. I feel bad because I was on Team Patrick but I was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay wrong.

• Like 1

Bouchard is safe. Boqvist will be gone top 6. Wilde is just that, a wild card. I really feel Ty Smith is that guy. Outside of Dahlin, I think he's the best. He can play in the NHL day one.

The Boqvist thing just baffles me. I mean, I get it. Super exciting...but I don't know...maybe I'm just burnt out on Swedes. Our track record before Bratt was not ideal (though one did bring us Hall lol). I'm still sitting here waiting for Mattias Tedenby to finally put it together....