Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Yeah. I've never seen a 2 PPG player as polarizing as Perfetti is. 

I'm fairness to perfetti, he may be the smartest hockey player in this draft. He's really got everything you could want except being a gifted skater.  I wouldn't be mad if we drafted him, but I'd be worried. 

• Like 1

Things I commend Wheeler for
Mysak (11) at 12
Quinn (14) at 14
Nybeck (35) at 24

Things I disagree with completely
Perfetti (9) above Stutzle (3)
Lundell (20) and Gunler (23) in the top 10
Sanderson (8) at 19
Helge Grans (NR) and Kasper Simontaival (40) with 1st round grades - I'll let Andrae (47) slide because his skill places him there, I'm just not a fan of dmen that small
Kaiden Guhle (21) at 33 - he should be much higher
Braden Schneider (16) at 37 - far too low - he's putting far too much stock into offensive skill dmen but that shouldn't be surprising considering the modern NHL
JJ Peterka (17) at 43 - criminally low, he's a top 20 talent
Luke Evangelista (NR) is WAAAAAAAY too high at 54 - I don't even think he makes my top 100 if I expanded my top 50.
Another analyst who doesn't even have Jack Finley (42) ranked...makes no friggin' sense to me. He's going to be the steal of the draft at this rate.
Doesn't even have Will Cuylle (49) ranked. That's unforgivable. His shot alone should have him top 75 at worst.
No Yan Kuznetsov (50) either. Makes no sense to me.

My rankings are in parentheses

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I'm fairness to perfetti, he may be the smartest hockey player in this draft. He's really got everything you could want except being a gifted skater.  I wouldn't be mad if we drafted him, but I'd be worried. 

I don't think we'd take him if we had our pick. We'd have to be picking #8 and not in love with Sanderson or Askarov to take him IMO.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Lundell (20) and Gunler (23) in the top 10

Lundell I get at least. He's close. But the gunler thing I don't understand at all. Gunler is barely first round. His light switch points off far too often 

16 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Kaiden Guhle (21) at 33 - he should be much higher
Braden Schneider (16) at 37 - far too low - he's putting far too much stock into offensive skill dmen but that shouldn't be surprising considering the modern NHL

Yep, 100%. You still need guys like Schneider and Guhle in the modern NHL, so I don't get pushing them down. He's also got Sanderson way lower than most, and the flaw for Sanderson is the offense. That's definitely a bias I don't agree with. Love Schneider, think Sanderson is solid in the top 13 both as middle pairing defenders

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Lundell I get at least. He's close. But the gunler thing I don't understand at all. Gunler is barely first round. His light switch points off far too often

I have him ranked 23 based on natural skill but, yes, if a far more talented player like Arthur Kaliyev falls to the 2nd round in a weaker draft due to motivation concerns (though not much weaker, just not as top heavy) then there's no reason for Noel Gunler to go in the 1st this year. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yep, 100%. You still need guys like Schneider and Guhle in the modern NHL, so I don't get pushing them down. He's also got Sanderson way lower than most, and the flaw for Sanderson is the offense. That's definitely a bias I don't agree with. Love Schneider, think Sanderson is solid in the top 13 both as middle pairing defenders

I think I'm more pissed at him for where he's got Peterka. That ranking is flat out inexcusable. ESPECIALLY when you have Kasper in the 1st. Peterka skates circles around Kasper as a player. Feel like he's being different just to be different with some of these rankings.

• Like 1

Also, I really hate that I can type some of these names without having to look them up lol.

Simontaival, Mukhamadullin, Khusnutdinov, Ponomarev 

If you want to learn how to use your phonetics, become a hockey fan. Screw hooked on phonics lol.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Also, I really hate that I can type some of these names without having to look them up lol.

Simontaival, Mukhamadullin, Khusnutdinov, Ponomarev 

If you want to learn how to use your phonetics, become a hockey fan. Screw hooked on phonics lol.

In my younger years, I worked in some international and domestic banking stuff (actually dealt with a couple hockey players a few times, most notably Evgeni Nabakov) and people were amazed at my ability to handle quite a number of names without batting an eyelash and I owed it all to being a hockey fan lol

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

In my younger years, I worked in some international and domestic banking stuff (actually dealt with a couple hockey players a few times, most notably Evgeni Nabakov) and people were amazed at my ability to handle quite a number of names without batting an eyelash and I owed it all to being a hockey fan lol

lol I have zero IRL friends that are hockey fans so, when I got the chance to talk hockey at Lambeau Field this December with some Canadians at the game, I baffled my dad with my ability to talk hockey. He's like "I didn't even know your were a fan of hockey but I shouldn't be surprised since you watch Tennis religiously" and he laughed. That hour at that table in the atrium, I think my dad said a whole 2 words while I talked the ears off these random people. I think that's why I post in here so damn much. I don't get my hockey fix IRL.

I also used to ask people if they could spell Khabibulin or Ponikarovsky or Fedotenko when we were flexing our wits. I have fun with people about hockey IRL. They all think I'm weird because hockey's my favorite sport.

• Like 2

I know we've discussed the Vancouver pick but the conditional 4th from the Hurricanes wasn't discussed. Vats never played for them and that was the main condition to the pick but we may have to go to an arbitrator or the NHL if Vatanen plays in Carolina's playoff games, should they make it beyond the "play-in" round. Think that one will be dicey.

But, still, even if we don't get that pick, we still basically got Kuokkanen for free considering Vats never suited up for them.

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I know we've discussed the Vancouver pick but the conditional 4th from the Hurricanes wasn't discussed. Vats never played for them and that was the main condition to the pick but we may have to go to an arbitrator or the NHL if Vatanen plays in Carolina's playoff games, should they make it beyond the "play-in" round. Think that one will be dicey.

But, still, even if we don't get that pick, we still basically got Kuokkanen for free considering Vats never suited up for them.

There's a playoff component to it already, I'm pretty sure. If he plays 70% of their playoff games or something we get a 3rd. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

There's a playoff component to it already, I'm pretty sure. If he plays 70% of their playoff games or something we get a 3rd. 

You sure? I thought it was 5 games AND 70% of the playoffs to get the 3rd but how do we get to the 3rd if the 4th round compensation component wasn't met (5 regular season games).

Just now, beekay414 said:

You sure? I thought it was 5 games AND 70% of the playoffs to get the 3rd but how do we get to the 3rd if the 4th round compensation component wasn't met (5 regular season games).

Official condition was that it was a third if he played 12 games or 70% of the playoff games.

Just now, beekay414 said:

How does LeBrun miss that in his Athletic article FFS?

Not sure. I'm just using specifically what cap friendly says, so possible they are wrong or they are not laying it all out, but that seems doubtful.

Of course, if Carolina loses the qualifying round, we are just screwed lol

• Like 1