Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

3 minutes ago, Geek said:

Good game. When Johansson scored near the end I really thought that Johansson was about to screw us over but it ended up ok. Feels good to be able to pay y'all back for that embarrassment earlier this season. 

Yeah, we are a bit of a nightmare right now, but generally always a pretty entertaining game with Washington. You guys look good. Wilson not going to have a good time with the league though

11 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yeah, we are a bit of a nightmare right now, but generally always a pretty entertaining game with Washington. You guys look good. Wilson not going to have a good time with the league though

Meh, I think he'll be fine. It was an understandable call considering his reputation but he didn't actually hit the head. It should have been called interference and I'd be surprised if the league did anything. But with the comish, you never really know. 

3 hours ago, Forge said:

Its amazing how bad our defense is on a day in and day out basis. I mean, you'd think that we would accidentally have good defensive games every now and again. 

I mean, we're asking for it with our pairings. Who in their right mind thinks pairing Andy Greene with Damon Severson is smart? I dunno. We're terrible and we'll have hella good odds at Jack Hughes and, at this point, that's all I care about. I'm waiting for the trade deadline to see what kind of value we recoup for Vatanen and MarJo.

2 hours ago, Forge said:

We get a 5 minute powerplay, waste 2 and a half minutes of it without so much as a shot I believe. At one point, we wasted about a minute with Nico and Hall able to be covered by a single Washington defender. Just horrific. What is going on with the game plan and strategy here? I mean, there isn't any so far as I know. We basically run the one play trying to get Palms a one timer, and if that's not there, or he's not out on the ice, there is seriously no plan going on whatsoever. 

I'm willing to bet this is Hynes' last year here. Our power play is "play through Taylor" and it's brutal if the D takes him away. Long ways to go with this squad. Last year was an outlier, that much is apparent.

19 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I'm willing to bet this is Hynes' last year here. Our power play is "play through Taylor" and it's brutal if the D takes him away. Long ways to go with this squad. Last year was an outlier, that much is apparent.

I'm kind of hoping so at this point. You know it's bad when I'm reading through the HF Devils board and looking at posts like, "yup. Mmhmm. 100% right"

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I mean, we're asking for it with our pairings. Who in their right mind thinks pairing Andy Greene with Damon Severson is smart? I dunno. We're terrible and we'll have hella good odds at Jack Hughes and, at this point, that's all I care about. I'm waiting for the trade deadline to see what kind of value we recoup for Vatanen and MarJo.

I expected some regression, but I really didn't expect this. It's terribad. If nothing else though, at least it further validates Hall's hart trophy in the herculean effort it took to get this team into the playoffs. Its not like we lost anyone this offseason that changes our fortunes this much (Well, maybe Moore, since apparently he was the only guy that we had who knew how to score in overtime :D)

Marjo is definitely gone. I actually think that we will get a nice return for him (well, nice return being seen through the eyes of a pure rental player). You can still see the skill on display here and there. For whatever reason, it's just not clicking. Injuries obviously haven't helped. I think he's a prime candidate for the "change of scenery" thought process for opposing GMs. 

As for Vatanen, will be really curious to see if we market him. He's got another year left on his deal I think, so he's not a rental player. But he's not having a good season at all this year. If we do end up trading him, some of the shine will certainly be coming off deals that Shero has made. Obviously the Palm and Hall deals will always be great, but at least Henrique kind of was what he was. A 40-50 point C2. The Marjo deal has been a complete bust. We actually gave up quite a bit in the Mueller deal, and while I don't hate that deal, Mueller has been inconsistent at best, and while I can see him as a middle pairing defenseman, I don't know if he will actually get there. 

Not sure who else will be on the market. Have to assume Boyle will be. Not going to get much there though. Maybe Kinkaid? Both of those guys are rentals, of course, but every little bit would help. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Hopefully not a preview of what is to come, but Hall just looks gone tonight. He's been really, really bad pretty much all around. Hope he's not checked out. 

Oh, he's definitely checked out. Won't be long before we start to sell off whatever pieces we have and fire Hynes. This effort is overall pathetic and we have no guidance. Shero has his work cut out for him in regards to keeping Hall. 

• Like 1