Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

1 minute ago, Forge said:

My great fear is that we leave the blue line largely as is. That really scares me. I think we need to capitalize on Severson's very solid offensive year and ship him off. With Vats / Butcher / Smith, he's completely superfluous. Lou drafted him, maybe he still likes the kid. Guys like Carrick can be retained, but used as AHL call ups along with someone like Santini. Mueller should basically be the 6/7 defenseman along with Greene (assuming that we just let the latter ride out his last year with us just because). So in my opinion, we need to add two new defensemen. Smith / Vats / Butcher / Mueller & Greene (they can rotate) / free agent / trade acquisition. 

I HIGHLY doubt we leave the blue line alone. We were dangling Sevs last year so I wouldn't be surprised if he's on the outs this year. 

Just now, beekay414 said:

I HIGHLY doubt we leave the blue line alone. We were dangling Sevs last year so I wouldn't be surprised if he's on the outs this year. 

I hope so. And it's not even like I hate the kid. To a team that needs some offensive firepower from the blue line, he could actually help quite a bit. He's the New Jersey version of Jake Gardiner. 40 points from the blue line isn't a joke...that's pretty valuable. But we don't need that, and the one thing we do need is what he is absolutely horrible at lol. There is spot on every roster for a player like Severson...just not this one with guys like Vats / Smith / Butcher, all of whom can contribute offensively and quarterback a power play. And Severson wasn't awful thsi year. I mean sure, defensively he wasn't great, but at least this year the offense was there to counter act it. Last year we would have been selling low, so I like that we kept him. This year I think we can get market value for him, and he needs to go. I desperately want a couple of quality, intelligent, make you pay for being the trailer or crashing the net type defensive defensemen. Sure, they may not be able to skate as well, but there's definitely a place and need for them on this roster. 

• Like 1

You know who is surprisingly out of money? Vegas. I'd grab Colin Miller in a heartbeat. Signed for less than 4 million for the next 3 seasons, only 26, always had excellent possession numbers. Now that I think about that...I really want us to go after him lol

• Like 1

lol the league office really doesn't like the Devils, do they? In 2017, Bettman wasn't thrilled at all that we had won the lottery and this year, the dude showing the cards gave Shero one hell of a look after saying "the New Jersey Devils." xD

Like, BROS, that was the old regime that tried to fandangle the cap with Kovalchuk. 

giphy.gif

Word on the street is that Shero has talked to Carolina about Adam Fox. I'm all for that move assuming it only costs us a draft pick or two or even McLeod. I think McLeod and possible pick(s) for Fox would work. I'd probably pull the trigger on a McLeod and our last 2nd for Fox.

Our blue line problem would be practically cured long term if we manage to bring Fox in. Fox, Smith, Davies and Walsh coming up through the ranks soon and you'd assume we'll grab another top 4 upside type in the draft. 

Man, if we get this offseason right, we're going to be REALLY good in a few years.

EDIT - Some people are talking about Talvitie and a 2nd. I like Fox but I really don't want to move Talvitie.

Edited by beekay414

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Word on the street is that Shero has talked to Carolina about Adam Fox. I'm all for that move assuming it only costs us a draft pick or two or even McLeod. I think McLeod and possible pick(s) for Fox would work.

Interesting. Obviously, that would be great ...he just doesn't seem like he's in a hurry to leave college. I think he already declared he's going back to Harvard for his senior season and it's not like we can offer him more money to get him to commit to coming out. I'd be really curious to see how that would work. 

Just now, Forge said:

Interesting. Obviously, that would be great ...he just doesn't seem like he's in a hurry to leave college. I think he already declared he's going back to Harvard for his senior season and it's not like we can offer him more money to get him to commit to coming out. I'd be really curious to see how that would work. 

He's going back to Harvard simply because he doesn't want to play for the Hurricanes. I'd be more than willing to bet that he'd come over this season should he get traded. You'd have to assume McLeod, a 2019 2nd and a 2020 conditional 2nd (guaranteed to be a 3rd) would get it done.

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

He's going back to Harvard simply because he doesn't want to play for the Hurricanes. I'd be more than willing to bet that he'd come over this season should he get traded. You'd have to assume McLeod, a 2019 2nd and a 2020 conditional 2nd (guaranteed to be a 3rd) would get it done.

You know me, I have no love for Mikey, and dropping off a couple of second rounders is fine for me. He and Ty Smith on the back end on ELCs? Yes please. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

You know me, I have no love for Mikey, and dropping off a couple of second rounders is fine for me. He and Ty Smith on the back end on ELCs? Yes please. 

Regardless, trading with Carolina for a young defenseman just makes too much sense. We talked about it last year and we probably should've tried to cash in on McLeod and pick(s) for one of them then. They obviously didn't have Fox yet but they had Bean and amongst others. I really hate hearing rumors because then I really want them to come to fruition lol. Fox would be great for the right side of our blue line. I think he'd pair well long term with Davies and he'd probably give us a leg up in signing Reilly Walsh too since they play together at Harvard.

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Regardless, trading with Carolina for a young defenseman just makes too much sense. We talked about it last year and we probably should've tried to cash in on McLeod and pick(s) for one of them then. They obviously didn't have Fox yet but they had Bean and amongst others. I really hate hearing rumors because then I really want them to come to fruition lol. Fox would be great for the right side of our blue line. I think he'd pair well long term with Davies and he'd probably give us a leg up in signing Reilly Walsh too since they play together at Harvard.

It's really crazy to think how different this blue line is going to be next year, and then particularly the year after. I don't think that we are going to re-sign Vats. Greene will ride off into the sunset. I think Mueller will be around, Butcher too. But those two guys may be it when it comes to who is still here in 2 years. Severson has the contract, obviously, but I still feel like at some point, he's going to be on his way out.