Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

2 hours ago, Forge said:

I think its unlikely, but I'm not going to rule it out. Cooley has some really ardent supporters. But this would kind of fly in the face of what Fitz has said / done. 

Cooley is going to be an underwhelming player in the NHL. He's Aldi Jack Hughes, at his peak, and his shot is even more putrid than Jack's was. I don't see him ever being anything other than a Clayton Keller type and we absolutely do not need a player of that mold on this team. If we take Cooley, I'll be even more pissed than I was taking Holtz over superior options. 

16 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

I too h don’t think we’d take him but a lot think he’s the safest prospect in the draft

He's not, whatsoever. Shane Wright is the safest prospect in this class. Cooley is the most "meh" player in this draft at the top. I do not understand the support he has.

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Don't understand that. We really need an entire new third pair 

And we need RHD depth. We're going to do something stupid like bring Subban back or roll with Okhotyuk-Smith or Bahl-Smith or Smith-Walsh and that pairing is going to get ******* caved.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

I too h don’t think we’d take him but a lot think he’s the safest prospect in the draft

I think the safest is still Wright. 

I do think that Cooley is a relatively safe prospect if only because I think he's a try hard 200 foot guy on top of his skills. Wouldn't be the guy that I take, I think, but I won't be apoplectic if that's who we go with. I feel like I'd feel very similar to how I Felt when we drafted Holtz. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think the safest is still Wright. 

I do think that Cooley is a relatively safe prospect if only because I think he's a try hard 200 foot guy on top of his skills. Wouldn't be the guy that I take, I think, but I won't be apoplectic if that's who we go with. I feel like I'd feel very similar to how I Felt when we drafted Holtz. 

Cooley is like the 10th dude I'd take at the 2nd pick for us, tbqh. If we don't know what we want to do, trade the god damn pick. Trade 2 to Minnesota for Fiala, 24 and 47 (Vancouver). Trade it to Columbus for 6 and 12 and then flip 12 for Fiala. I dunno. Do something other than settling for something we already have. Cooley is the worst fit for this franchise. I don't care that he's a try hard midget with skill. He's so underwhelming when I watch him, I just do not get why he has such a staunch following. 

32 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Cooley is like the 10th dude I'd take at the 2nd pick for us, tbqh. If we don't know what we want to do, trade the god damn pick. Trade 2 to Minnesota for Fiala, 24 and 47 (Vancouver). Trade it to Columbus for 6 and 12 and then flip 12 for Fiala. I dunno. Do something other than settling for something we already have. Cooley is the worst fit for this franchise. I don't care that he's a try hard midget with skill. He's so underwhelming when I watch him, I just do not get why he has such a staunch following. 

I'm not sure that I would go that far. I'd take Slaf and the two RHD first, I think. And there are certainly some trades I would try and make before picking Cooley at 2. At that point, I think I'd offer Columbus 2 + 37 for 6 and 12 as opposed to drafting Cooley there, but there are also some trades I certainly wouldn't make. 

I think when all is said and done I'll have Cooley probably ranked #4 or 5 on my big board but I Haven't had nearly enough time to dig into these guys as much as I would want to or as much as I did back in 2020 (I didn't even look at last years class much I was so positive we were drafting Luke lol) 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm not sure that I would go that far

Slafkovsky
Gauthier
Nemec
Jiricek
Kasper
Lekkerimaki
Yurov
Nazar
Chesley
Miroshnichenko*

Are all guys I'd rather have than Cooley. Savoie is more of the same (dynamic smaller playmaker). 

If Slaf goes #1, I'm offering the following deals and if none of them get taken, I'm taking Wright for myself...

Arizona for #3 and #27
Seattle for #4 and #35
Columbus for #6 and #12
Ottawa for #7, #39 and Ridly Greig or Lassi Thomson
Buffalo for #9, #16 and #28 or #9, #41 and JJ Peterka

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

If Slaf goes #1, I'm offering the following deals and if none of them get taken, I'm taking Wright for myself...

Arizona for #3 and #27
Seattle for #4 and #35
Columbus for #6 and #12
Ottawa for #7, #39 and Ridly Greig or Lassi Thomson
Buffalo for #9, #16 and #28 or #9, #41 and JJ Peterka

I think I want more from Arizona and Seattle tbh. Arizona can throw in Crouse lol

I'm very bullish on wright