Anybody for Cobb out Dez In?

Golfman

1 hour ago, SSG said:

Sorry but comparing just raw stats and looking at these players in a vacuum is really kinda crazy  It's like trying to compare pass rushing stats of a 3-4 DE and an OLB.  They play 2 entirely different positions.  Dez Bryant is a guy who lives on the outside where almost everything is contested.  Randall Cobb is strictly a slot WR who struggles terribly when he's contested.  We've routinely seen him covered by a LB and the vast majority of his success comes on broken plays and blown coverages.  Dez Bryant has shown that he's capable of being an elite #1 WR.  Randall Cobb isn't anything more than just your run of the mill slot WR. 

All this Dez Bryant talk is foolish IMO, it's not going to happen.  We much prefer cheap players at the tail end of their careers

Probably, but this would be a fantastic opportunity for Gute to show that things are no longer status quo. We have already proven we were highly interested in adding a big name WR right? We went hard after Robinson. So the interest is there. You dont cut Jordy without a plan to replace him and if that plan is Allison + rookie then I've lost faith in Gute already becuase that plan sucks. That's a plan for a 4-12 team rebuilding, not a team looking to go to the SB. You cut Jordy, you better go find a proven replacement, and even an upgrade if you can. Here it is, right in front of us.

This is the very type of "aggressive" move Gute can make to help the team win in 2018. To me, adding Dez just makes WAY too much sense. Now if someone offers him a multi-year, $10+ million deal, fine, not interested, but I don't see that. I see a one-year, $7-8 million type deal coming and we should be all over that.

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Probably, but this would be a fantastic opportunity for Gute to show that things are no longer status quo. We have already proven we were highly interested in adding a big name WR right? We went hard after Robinson. So the interest is there. You dont cut Jordy without a plan to replace him and if that plan is Allison + rookie then I've lost faith in Gute already becuase that plan sucks. That's a plan for a 4-12 team rebuilding, not a team looking to go to the SB. You cut Jordy, you better go find a proven replacement, and even an upgrade if you can. Here it is, right in front of us.

This is the very type of "aggressive" move Gute can make to help the team win in 2018. To me, adding Dez just makes WAY too much sense. Now if someone offers him a multi-year, $10+ million deal, fine, not interested, but I don't see that. I see a one-year, $7-8 million type deal coming and we should be all over that.

Oh I agree though I don't believe this team will be anything other than ultra conservative.  I don't but the idea that we were ever realistically in the Robinson sweep stakes.  I'd imagine that our offer was substantially less and he then took the money in Chicago. 

I completely agree that we need help at WR right night.  Currently, we've got one WR on the roster that is better than average.  As it sits, we're going to need a career year from Cobb and a major impact from a Allision (or a rookie).  The uncertainties we have at WR, which is one of our most important positions is a little uneasy.  Some just want to assume that Randall Cobb is going to go from mediocre to being a difference maker.... I can't make that sort of foolish leap of faith. 

I support the idea of signing a veteran WR, but is Dez that guy? He always seemed more showboat/distraction to me. The Packers have been ridding themselves of locker room distractions (Randal, Sitton). Why would they pick up another one? My guess is they sit out the Dez thing, and wait to see who comes free after the draft. There's bound to be some more cap casualties. If not, then there's always the trade route.

9 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

I support the idea of signing a veteran WR, but is Dez that guy? He always seemed more showboat/distraction to me. The Packers have been ridding themselves of locker room distractions (Randal, Sitton). Why would they pick up another one? My guess is they sit out the Dez thing, and wait to see who comes free after the draft. There's bound to be some more cap casualties. If not, then there's always the trade route.

To be fair, we just signed Wilkerson who was as bad of a locker room cancer as you could find in the NFL last year.  I've got no issues signing Dez and having the same expectations we've currently got for Wilkerson (fix your game and be a better teammate).

1 minute ago, SSG said:

To be fair, we just signed Wilkerson who was as bad of a locker room cancer as you could find in the NFL last year.  I've got no issues signing Dez and having the same expectations we've currently got for Wilkerson. 

Good point, but Pettine has/had a relationship with Wilkerson that may mitigate that. Who in GB has that sort of relationship with Dez? 

Just now, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Good point, but Pettine has/had a relationship with Wilkerson that may mitigate that. Who in GB has that sort of relationship with Dez? 

I've got confidence that Aaron Rodgers would have no issues helping Dez Bryant fix his issues.  Tom Brady seemed to do wonders for Randy Moss when he was said to be a locker room headache in Oakland.  A lot of Dez Bryant's issues are issues Randy Moss had in Oakland.  Not saying the outcome would be the same but I'd take the risk given the issues we have at WR. 

For those in favor of signing Dez, feel free to state the salary you are willing to offer.  

For me it would be $3-5M with most of that incentives.  Whether another playr would need to be released would depend on other potential additions.  There are some cuts that can add a bit of space that are not Cobb, Bulaga types.

10 minutes ago, squire12 said:

For those in favor of signing Dez, feel free to state the salary you are willing to offer.  

For me it would be $3-5M with most of that incentives.  Whether another playr would need to be released would depend on other potential additions.  There are some cuts that can add a bit of space that are not Cobb, Bulaga types.

I go $6-8 mil, obv preferably closer to $6. Basically what Hurns got.

21 minutes ago, Kenrik said:

We finally get rid of some cap space at the wr position. Bring in Breeland

If you're concerned about cap space at WR, you sign Dez and cut Cobb. Dez will improve this offense in ways Cobb couldnt dream of. I'd rather have both but I want Breeland too and if cutting Cobb is required to get there (which wouldnt be necessary if we extend ARod), I'd cut Cobb before lunch.

3 minutes ago, Joe said:

I'd trade Cobb, see what we can get, and then sign Breeland.

Dez would just be another WR that can't get separation from DB's.

Stop with the trade Cobb already. Exactly who do you think wants to eat that salary. 

9 minutes ago, Joe said:

I'd trade Cobb, see what we can get, and then sign Breeland.

Dez would just be another WR that can't get separation from DB's.

Given Cobb's massive contract, limitations as a player and production over the last couple years its likely that he's untradeable.  His production over the last 3 years is something you can get from just your run of the mill slot guy. 

I think Dez has a lot more upside than you are giving him credit for but a lot of the same criticisms of Bryant were stated about Randy Moss his last year in Oakland. 

Archived