Anybody for Cobb out Dez In?

Golfman

7 hours ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

The thing with Monty is that he doesn't stay healthy, and Rodgers does not throw to RBs well, or often.  So while he should be among the best receiving backs in the league as far as skill set goes, he probably will not be in production.

Geronimo Allison is interesting to me.  He has yet to show that the game is too big for him.  He has passed Davis and Janis on the depth chart and beaten draft picks Yancey and  Dupree for a roster spot.  He has been the 4th WR, and produced.  I would like to see him at least get a crack at #3 to see if he is maxed out, or if he can still get better.  I don't have a problem with having a 2nd or 3rd round rookie, Allison, and Davis battling it out for those spots on the depth chart.

I think Cobb's game will play very well if Graham lives up to his billing.

This team really could use a Greg Jennings (what team couldn't?).  

You cant improve on being slow, which Allison is. Look, I like Allison but he makes 99% of his receptions on broken plays where Rodgers scrambles and buys time. That is not the quality of a starting WR. Allison should be fighting for a roster spot. You line him up opposite Adams and you're asking for BIG trouble unless Rodgers starts using the middle of the field way more than he has over the years. There is not a No. 2 CB in the league who I'm not confident would shut down Allison one-on-one all game long, he simply does not have the athletic ability to win those matchups. 

If Cobb and Graham play to their capabilities, Allison will be fine.  I am not saying he cannot be improved upon, he absolutely can. I am saying that I don't think he is the liability that you are making him out to be.  Now if Adams and Cobb get injured, I hope we aren't lining up Allison and Davis at #1 and 2.  But as probably the 4th option after Adams, Graham, and Cobb? I think he is good enough.  He is a big bodied WR that can get up in the endzone, and make an 8 yard catch for a first down.  He also has shown good body control when he needs to.  

I absolutely would like a draft pick in to compete for that spot. But this thread is about adding Dez Bryant.  Dez is better than Allison, no question about it.  I do think that Dez will sign for more money than we want to spend at that position this season.  I don't think he would sign with the Packers long term, and I don't think he would put the team over the top to go to: "Dallas, Texas, Super Bowl, baby!"

5 minutes ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

If Cobb and Graham play to their capabilities, Allison will be fine.  I am not saying he cannot be improved upon, he absolutely can. I am saying that I don't think he is the liability that you are making him out to be.  Now if Adams and Cobb get injured, I hope we aren't lining up Allison and Davis at #1 and 2.  But as probably the 4th option after Adams, Graham, and Cobb? I think he is good enough.  He is a big bodied WR that can get up in the endzone, and make an 8 yard catch for a first down.  He also has shown good body control when he needs to.  

I absolutely would like a draft pick in to compete for that spot. But this thread is about adding Dez Bryant.  Dez is better than Allison, no question about it.  I do think that Dez will sign for more money than we want to spend at that position this season.  I don't think he would sign with the Packers long term, and I don't think he would put the team over the top to go to: "Dallas, Texas, Super Bowl, baby!"

I agree. Sick and tired of people dumping on Allison. So he's not a WR1 and judging from his twitter, he's kinda immature; big whoop...

He can get open when necessary, his field vision is better-than-average IMHO, and he can be reliable when given the chance...

14 minutes ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

Outside of Adams this team does not have a single WR capable of being a reliable target on the outside. That is a problem. 

51 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Miller sure looks like a Packers type of wideout ... super productive .. solid speed .. good hands.  I'm in.

Only thing I dont like about Miller is his height. He "looks" more like Cobb's replacement than a prototypical outside WR.

6 hours ago, Rodjahs12 said:

It’s blatantly obvious that the coaching staff is way higher on Allison than anyone here is. It’s been apparent for years now and is only becoming more clear.

Based on what? 

I don't agree with this at all.  

Allison is the WR version of Gunter. 

2 minutes ago, Cadmus said:

Based on what? 

I don't agree with this at all.  

Allison is the WR version of Gunter. 

Regardless of all of his obvious uncorrectable flaws, he’s been put in a position to play far more frequently than the majority of this board would have liked and now this season he looks like he’s about to be given the opportunity to start as none of the FA WRs left are going to come in and be handed the job from him even if we sign one and no rookie we draft is going to be given it either at least from the beginning. For a guy who offers absolutely zero special teams ability, he’s constantly being put in a position to play ahead of guys like Davis and Janis who’d theoretically be much better roster value spots if they were in any way capable of producing offensively. This tells me either Rodgers really likes him or the coaching staff thinks he has more upside in a starting role than we do. 

I’m probably a bigger fan of Allison than anyone else is here, but I know I wouldn’t have had him on the field nearly as often as he has been recently if I was in a position to make those decisions and I surely wouldn’t be counting on him to start either, but I’m cautiously optimistic he’ll be a decent #2 until we find something better and like I said, the signs all seem to say the coaching staff seems to think so as well or we’d probably have signed another receiver by now. I can’t imagine Rodgers immediately trusting a rookie more than Allison which means the rookie isn’t going to be getting many targets.

8 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

Regardless of all of his obvious uncorrectable flaws, he’s been put in a position to play far more frequently than the majority of this board would have liked and now this season he looks like he’s about to be given the opportunity to start as none of the FA WRs left are going to come in and be handed the job from him even if we sign one and no rookie we draft is going to be given it either at least from the beginning. For a guy who offers absolutely zero special teams ability, he’s constantly being put in a position to play ahead of guys like Davis and Janis who’d theoretically be much better roster value spots if they were in any way capable of producing offensively. This tells me either Rodgers really likes him or the coaching staff thinks he has more upside in a starting role than we do. 

I’m probably a bigger fan of Allison than anyone else is here, but I know I wouldn’t have had him on the field nearly as often as he has been recently if I was in a position to make those decisions and I surely wouldn’t be counting on him to start either, but I’m cautiously optimistic he’ll be a decent #2 until we find something better and like I said, the signs all seem to say the coaching staff seems to think so as well or we’d probably have signed another receiver by now. I can’t imagine Rodgers immediately trusting a rookie more than Allison which means the rookie isn’t going to be getting many targets.

I don't think you understand what I meant when I said he's the "WR version of Gunter". 

You could literally say all of that..... ALL of that... about Gunter exactly 1 year ago. 

There's been absolutely nothing to suggest the coaching staff views Allison as a decent #2 in this offense. 

You're trying to read tea leaves that aren't there. 

4 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I'm just expecting that as soon as the Packers call on Allison to be a bigger contributor he'll pull a Jarrett Boykin and stink up the joint.

If he does, then he will be beaten for the job and maybe even released, just like Boykin.

I just looked at Greg Jennings' rookie season.  THAT was a bad WR unit.  He came in and was the immediate #2 option.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/gnb/2006.htm

Archived