Anybody for Cobb out Dez In?

Golfman

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

First, we need to get over this thought that Jordy 2018 is as good as Dez 2018. That's laughable. Dez is 29, Nelson is 32 with a repaired ACL. Dez is still a WR that teams cover with their No .1 CB. The Steelers covered Nelson with T.J. Watt last year.

Second, we made a run at Robinson, a highly paid WR. Someone who will cost much more than Dez.  

Third, we thought so much of Jordy that we didnt even offer him a decent pay cut as an option. GB didnt want Jordy back. You don't cut a player you want to keep if he will take a 75% pay cut to stay.

Fourth, we have like $16 million in cap even without extending Rodgers. You aren't carrying all that money over. We have money to spend. Spend it on a difference maker like Dez. 

We will have to agree to disagree about Jordy vs Dez.  

Correct me if I am wrong, didn't the Packers pursue Robinson before signing Graham? I doubt the plan was to have Adams, Robinson, Graham, and Cobb/Nelson all on the payroll.  Going into the offseason, everybody was talking about how we can't have 3 $10million WRs.  They just thought we would jettison Cobb rather than Nelson, or not re-sign Adams.  If we were always getting Graham, we probably cut both Cobb and Nelson to afford Robinson too.

22 minutes ago, SSG said:

I don't put much into what the Packers thought of Nelson.  IMO that shows the ineptness of our front office more so than any negative towards Jordy Nelson.  This same front office that thought Cobb was one of the 10 best WRs in the NFL and we've had that ridiculous contract ever since. 

Just because Watt was on Nelson for ONE SNAP while he was in the slot doesn't mean he was covered by him for the Steelers game.  That comment just shows your extreme bias against Nelson.  When looking at their 2016 seasons, Jordy was a substantially more productive WR and he didn't benefit from being the only quality WR on the team.  I'm all for signing Bryant but lets not get carried away, Bryant hasn't been overly productive in the last 3 years. 

While Jordy does have an ACL injury, Dez has a substantial amount of wear and tear on his body that has resulted in him missing a substantial amount of games over the last 3 years (11).

That front office is far from the same since we signed Cobb to that deal there buddy.

8 minutes ago, pollino14 said:

Some of you guys gotta be a bit objective.  

Dez the player is MUCH better than Jordy or Cobb is now. 

Theres many legit arguments to not wanting to sign Dez, but let’s not lie and say either are better.

I think all three end up being overpaid this season.  I also don't think there is much of a gap in talent.  Unless Prescott is absolute garbage, which I don't believe to be the case.

8 minutes ago, pollino14 said:

Theres many legit arguments to not wanting to sign Dez, but let’s not lie and say either are better.

Yep.  Cobb is a different type player though.  Cobb can do things that Dez really can't.

Dez may not be as fast as he once was, but he would still be really really effective as a boundary WR here.  The real question is can we keep his ego in check on a 1 year deal where he's effective and not causing problems.

Dez's ability to leap and make contested catches surpasses Davante Adams, and he would be our best WR with the ball in his hands.  The guy just flat makes incredible plays after the catch.

10 minutes ago, pollino14 said:

MUCH better? Yeah IDK about that. Cobb, yeah maybe.

1 minute ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

We will have to agree to disagree about Jordy vs Dez.  

Correct me if I am wrong, didn't the Packers pursue Robinson before signing Graham? I doubt the plan was to have Adams, Robinson, Graham, and Cobb/Nelson all on the payroll.  Going into the offseason, everybody was talking about how we can't have 3 $10million WRs.  They just thought we would jettison Cobb rather than Nelson, or not re-sign Adams.  If we were always getting Graham, we probably cut both Cobb and Nelson to afford Robinson too.

The problem wasnt having 3 $10 million WRs. The problem was having 1 WR worth $10+ mil and 2 WRs worth about $5 mil or less. Cobb and Nelson were way overpaid for what they offer. I have no problem paying weapons who, with Aaron Rodgers, would make this offense unstoppable. IMO Dez does that for us. He benefits Adams, he benefits Graham and he is benefited from having Rodgers, a QB tailor made to throw those 50-50 balls Dez excels at catching. 

3 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

So to sum this thread up.

Those against: weighing pros and cons, actual realities of money and productions.

Those for: "I'm bored, do it"

No, more like:

Those against: Cobb and Jordy are (were) Packers players therefore they are better than Bryant who hasnt played for GB.

Those for: quit being a homer. 

1 minute ago, NormSizedMidget said:

So to sum this thread up.

Those against: weighing pros and cons, actual realities of money and productions.

Those for: "I'm bored, do it"

I think some just have higher opinions of Dez Bryant than others.  I just don't think he has much special left, and would be like Nelson, or Crabtree, and not worth the money he will likely sign for.  I like the idea of Jimmy Graham much more than Dez Bryant.

3 minutes ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

I think some just have higher opinions of Dez Bryant than others.  I just don't think he has much special left, and would be like Nelson, or Crabtree, and not worth the money he will likely sign for.  I like the idea of Jimmy Graham much more than Dez Bryant.

I like Dez, but there's a few posts in here like he's prime TO or something. When's the last time he even went a thousand? They took a pretty not dead cap hit to run him out. Supposedly the vets were like nah son. Just like us with Randall. But he's a free agent who's never played for us so he's the most amazing thing ever.

I swear to Christ if we had Dez the last few and someone else had Cobb and just cut him, and they were identical players just on different teams, the same people would want to cut Dez for Cobb lol

18 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

... Isn't that literally exactly what you are doing?  Literally?  LITERALLY?

You don't follow along well do you. The way the word 'projecting' was used was when you referred to me being arrogant. IN other words, projecting onto me what you are. I"m back to ignoring you as you aren't worth the time. 

6 minutes ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

I think all three end up being overpaid this season.  I also don't think there is much of a gap in talent.  Unless Prescott is absolute garbage, which I don't believe to be the case.

If you don’t wanna sign Dez because of the money, I completely understand.

I think it’s pretty telling what we think of Jordy’s skills that we don’t even offer him the opportunity to restructure. 

I don’t think Cobb is ever going to bounce back to the player we expected to be. He is who he is now, an average slot guy.

Im not saying Dez is gonna be an all pro again, but in our offense, with all the options we have, he’s not going to be the sole focal point of the passing attack and will benefit from not having the other tean’s best guy on him.

7 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

No, more like:

Those against: Cobb and Jordy are (were) Packers players therefore they are better than Bryant who hasnt played for GB.

Those for: quit being a homer. 

I haven't seen a great argument that Dez is better than Jordy. I don't think anyone has even attempted it.

You'd sign the corpse of Aaron Hernandez if it meant we signed a named free agent...

Dez is better than Cobb. I'm not denying that. But I don't think a swap is worth it. Besides that, I don't think there's a chance in hell he'd come to Wisconsin.

4 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

The problem wasnt having 3 $10 million WRs. The problem was having 1 WR worth $10+ mil and 2 WRs worth about $5 mil or less. Cobb and Nelson were way overpaid for what they offer. I have no problem paying weapons who, with Aaron Rodgers, would make this offense unstoppable. IMO Dez does that for us. He benefits Adams, he benefits Graham and he is benefited from having Rodgers, a QB tailor made to throw those 50-50 balls Dez excels at catching. 

I for one am glad that we didn't extend either of them.  I saw a lot of restructure for 3 more years at 7 million, I didn't like it.  Cobb's contract expires this year.  Either he earns it or he is looking at a lot less on his next contract.

I think we will be fine with Adams-Cobb-rookie + Graham.  Graham will open things up like Finley did.   Allison will be fine if Graham does his job.  Clark is interesting.  Davis is fast.  They will go to camp with 10-11 WRs, and I suspect a 2nd or 3rd round rookie will be among them. 

28 minutes ago, pollino14 said:

You are far too rational for a message board sir! Knock it off! :D

Archived