Is It Unethical To Retroactively Change The Rules?

the lone star

Is It Unethical To Retroactively Change The Rules?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Is It Unethical To Retroactively Change The Rules?

Yes, however, I think that the second something comes up, it's ethical to put a rule in place. So even middle of the season if someone starts tanking, I think it is fair to place a rule in as the commish with some discussion by the owners to curtail tanking and even penalize it.

22 hours ago, The Gnat said:

Yes, however, I think that the second something comes up, it's ethical to put a rule in place. So even middle of the season if someone starts tanking, I think it is fair to place a rule in as the commish with some discussion by the owners to curtail tanking and even penalize it.

Penalize it going forward? Or penalize owners that have already tanked by lowering them in the draft or something like that to "correct" for their tanking?

On 4/17/2018 at 8:22 AM, the lone star said:

Penalize it going forward? Or penalize owners that have already tanked by lowering them in the draft or something like that to "correct" for their tanking?

You absolutely cannot retroactively change the rules. You cannot penalize teams for supposedly tanking if there is no rule in place. If you think someone is doing it then you can say "From this point forward, everyone must be starting healthy, active, non-bye week players or you will be hit with a penalty...." but you cant penalize them after the fact.

Imagine if in the NBA you saw the Mavericks were tanking and the NBA said, sorry we're taking your 1st round pick because we dont like tanking...but there is nothing in the rules to say you're not allowed to and whats worse is other teams might be doing it too. Its all about the competitive advantage people think they are getting. If there is one to get people will always walk that fine line and try and get it ESPECIALLY if money is involved

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

You absolutely cannot retroactively change the rules. You cannot penalize teams for supposedly tanking if there is no rule in place. If you think someone is doing it then you can say "From this point forward, everyone must be starting healthy, active, non-bye week players or you will be hit with a penalty...." but you cant penalize them after the fact.

Imagine if in the NBA you saw the Mavericks were tanking and the NBA said, sorry we're taking your 1st round pick because we dont like tanking...but there is nothing in the rules to say you're not allowed to and whats worse is other teams might be doing it too. Its all about the competitive advantage people think they are getting. If there is one to get people will always walk that fine line and try and get it ESPECIALLY if money is involved

I agree. Using your analogy with the Mavericks, it would be messed up for the NBA to change the lottery system right before the draft to "correct" for anything they didn't like. So maybe they wouldn't be penalizing teams, but they'd be trying to "correct" for something, and that just wouldn't be right. Rules are rules, and changing them without any notice is wrong. 

Gotta create an incentive NOT to tank I think.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...