Around the NFL

Forge

Hope this looks good when pasted, ESPN "juiced" all the top contracts to be as bizarrely inflated as Juszczyk's contract is. It's funny to see:

Let's Juszczyk-Size The NFL

Here's what the three-year payouts for the highest-paid players at each position would look like if they got deals like Kyle Juszczyk:

POSITION LEADER 3-YEAR
PAYOUT
COMPARABLE
JUSZCZYK DEAL
QB Matt Ryan $94,500,000 $189,169,519
RB LeSean McCoy $27,300,000 $69,962,605
WR Mike Evans $55,000,000 $121,812,445
TE Jimmy Graham $30,000,000 $64,275,139
T Nate Solder $48,000,000 $93,500,907
G Zack Martin $43,000,000 $79,905,101
C Ryan Jensen $32,300,000 $68,768,715
EDGE Von Miller $61,100,000 $123,503,466
DT Marcell Dareus $53,150,000 $99,298,948
LB Jamie Collins $37,250,000 $79,351,658
CB Josh Norman $51,000,000 $111,945,288
S Eric Berry $42,500,000 $71,303,408
K Justin Tucker $13,750,000 $28,920,494
P Bryan Anger $10,000,000 $23,735,193

2 hours ago, big9erfan said:

FWIW since Ansah started his carerr in 2013 he has way more sacks than Ware, and that includes one non-productive year when he was hurt for most of the year. In  the most recent 3 years - 2015 to 2017,  which counts more to me than what a guy did quite a number of year ago, Ware has 11.5 sacks and Ansah has 28.5. They both had injury years in that 3-year period.

Also FWIW, I would not say Ansah has been up and down in his career.,  He had 8 and 7.5 his first two years which is great for a rookie and second year guy, then he's had 14.5, 2 and 12. So it's literally true he was up and down those three years, but the year when he had 2 he was injured. That even nagged him early the following year. But bottom line is that aside from one injury year he has been consistently really productive. So injuries might be a concern, buit consistency when healthy should not be.

I have no idea what you are talking about or trying to prove here lol. First off, I don't think he's talking about Ware any time recently, but in his prime and similarly going into his 30 year old season. Using that three year stretch to try and make any sort of point is completely absurd given that during that time, Ware was 33, 34 and retired without having played in 2017, so I have no idea what you are trying to suggest here. Given that Ware was already 31 when Ziggy entered the league, it's pretty silly to bring up 2013 and on since it really has no bearing on anything unless you're using it with regards for a basis point for what will happen to ziggy throughout his next contract. 

Secondly, I'm pretty sure you're kind of making his point by bringing up what they have done in the later years.  Ziggy has never been Ware, and look at how Ware fell off once he hit 30 (the age Ziggy will be next year). He went from 20 / 11 / 15.5 / 19.5 from ages 26 -29, to  11.5 / 6 / 10 / 7.5. And that was with a far superior player in Ware than Ziggy has ever been and  he never had the injuries that Ziggy had during that age time frame (he played every game from 2005 - 2012, his age 30 season).  He's basically saying that if Ziggy were a similar player to what Ware was in his prime, then you sign him, but since he's not even in that same stratosphere, he doesn't want him. 

Also, I'd very much say that Ziggy has been up and down, and his sack numbers from last year, as I have explained pretty thoroughly in the past, are about as empty as it gets. Ziggy did not have a great year last year and he was pretty invisible for chunks of the season. He's got the worst type of nagging injuries you can have for a pass rusher in leg and back injuries. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I have no idea what you are talking about or trying to prove here lol. First off, I don't think he's talking about Ware any time recently, but in his prime and similarly going into his 30 year old season. Using that three year stretch to try and make any sort of point is completely absurd given that during that time, Ware was 33, 34 and retired without having played in 2017, so I have no idea what you are trying to suggest here. Given that Ware was already 31 when Ziggy entered the league, it's pretty silly to bring up 2013 and on since it really has no bearing on anything unless you're using it with regards for a basis point for what will happen to ziggy throughout his next contract. 

Secondly, I'm pretty sure you're kind of making his point by bringing up what they have done in the later years.  Ziggy has never been Ware, and look at how Ware fell off once he hit 30 (the age Ziggy will be next year). He went from 20 / 11 / 15.5 / 19.5 from ages 26 -29, to  11.5 / 6 / 10 / 7.5. And that was with a far superior player in Ware than Ziggy has ever been and  he never had the injuries that Ziggy had during that age time frame (he played every game from 2005 - 2012, his age 30 season).  He's basically saying that if Ziggy were a similar player to what Ware was in his prime, then you sign him, but since he's not even in that same stratosphere, he doesn't want him. 

Also, I'd very much say that Ziggy has been up and down, and his sack numbers from last year, as I have explained pretty thoroughly in the past, are about as empty as it gets. Ziggy did not have a great year last year and he was pretty invisible for chunks of the season. He's got the worst type of nagging injuries you can have for a pass rusher in leg and back injuries. 

I guess I didn't get the "in his prime" part because of course Ware in his prime, or anyone playing at that level, would not be avvailable or only available for a king's ranson. FWIW I'm pretty sure if you looked at a whole bunch of guys' season stats and anlyzed them game by game you'd find guys who acccumulated many of their stats in a few games. Ansah got a sack in half the games he played in.  I just checked the other two guys that had 12 sacks.One of them got a sack in half the games he played in and the other guy had more games without a sack than with a sack. I don't know how unusual that is. But it seems like it's not likely to be unusual. It strikes me as trying too hard to prove he's no good based on a few games. He's been in the league 5 years and had 44.5 sacks despite being hurt one year and only getting 2. Miller has only had 53.5 in the same time despite not missing most of one year. Cameron wake has had less than 50.  I think it's pretty hard to dismiss a guy who has had over 40 sacks in his first 5 years in the league especially when  he only had 2 in one of those years.

5 hours ago, big9erfan said:

FWIW since Ansah started his carerr in 2013 he has way more sacks than Ware, and that includes one non-productive year when he was hurt for most of the year. In  the most recent 3 years - 2015 to 2017,  which counts more to me than what a guy did quite a number of year ago, Ware has 11.5 sacks and Ansah has 28.5. They both had injury years in that 3-year period.

Also FWIW, I would not say Ansah has been up and down in his career.,  He had 8 and 7.5 his first two years which is great for a rookie and second year guy, then he's had 14.5, 2 and 12. So it's literally true he was up and down those three years, but the year when he had 2 he was injured. That even nagged him early the following year. But bottom line is that aside from one injury year he has been consistently really productive. So injuries might be a concern, buit consistency when healthy should not be.

What? Ware had 64.5 sacks in his first five seasons. Ansah has 44 in the same span. Ansah has never been a constant pressure threat like Ware was. Or Miller or Mack is now. Not just talking about total sacks. And he has had injury problems. Now he's 30. He's not an elite edge defender. Which is why the Lions haven't given him the bank. And neither should we.

In four healthy years Ansah averaged 11 sacks a year.  If he had that many two years ago instead of being injured he would have more sacks in the past 5 years that Cameron Wake JJ Watt , or yes, even more than Von Miller. It's more than Aaron Donald has averaged in his four years in the league. He WAS injured. I get that. But I think a lot of people here are wasy underestimating his production. SImply put his poroduction during four of his fiove years in the league is way up there. He may not be "elite" in the sense of ALdon or Ware in their prime years, but he has been way more productive than many here nake it sound like he's been.

6 hours ago, big9erfan said:

In four healthy years Ansah averaged 11 sacks a year.  If he had that many two years ago instead of being injured he would have more sacks in the past 5 years that Cameron Wake JJ Watt , or yes, even more than Von Miller. It's more than Aaron Donald has averaged in his four years in the league. He WAS injured. I get that. But I think a lot of people here are wasy underestimating his production. SImply put his poroduction during four of his fiove years in the league is way up there. He may not be "elite" in the sense of ALdon or Ware in their prime years, but he has been way more productive than many here nake it sound like he's been.

He's decent. He's just not worth top edge defender money. Especially at 30 years old with injury problems. 

I was lurking in one of the NFL General threads and found this gem: https://playoffpredictors.com/Football/NFL?L=Aw18ZXTt-DFOS1b0ckA

If you haven't used this yet, do it. It's pretty awesome. Every year, I wait until week 13 or 14 for ESPN to release the playoff machine to predict the rest of the season. Now, I get to do it before the season starts!

This is how things shook out for me:

NFC West
1. Rams 13-3 
2. 49ers 10-6
3. Seahawks 6-10
4. Cardinals 4-12

NFC Playoffs
1. Packers 13-3
2. Rams 13-3
3. Eagles 12-4
4. Falcons 12-4
5. Vikings 12-4
6. Saints 10-6

7. 49ers 10-6
8. Panthers 8-8
9. Cowboys 7-9

AFC Playoffs
1. Patriots 13-3
2. Jaguars 12-4
3. Steelers 11-5
4. Chiefs 10-6
5. Texans 11-5
6. Chargers 10-6

7. Titans 10-6
8. Broncos 9-7
9. Ravens 8-8

On 7/20/2018 at 5:49 PM, J-ALL-DAY said:

With the NFC as stacked as it is, I just can't see five teams winning 12 or more games. 

I was surprised at this as well. I didn't really have an agenda picking games, this is just how it turned out. I will say that I'm not very high on the Cowboys or the Panthers. I think the Redskins and Bears are 7-9 win teams, though. 

Archived